Hospital Bag

Options
ybodwen
ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
Just wondering what your packing list looks like! (or looked like, or should have looked like!)
Starting to pack now and would love some tips!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Baby boy's is easy - it's going to have two sets of take home outfits (one in nb, one in 0-3 so I'm covered for either size), onesies to go underneath is sleeper (two sizes again), a little coat for him (thin fleece) since it could be cool out in the end of Sept/early Oct, a little hat as part of his outfit, and a blanket, both a thin one if it's warm and a warmer one in case it's cool. I will his little bag packed...umm, well it's done now except for his blanket. Since I sort of haven't bought them yet. But the rest is done!

For me, I'm packing:

~big old granny panties - if I have a csection again, my normal panties hit right at the incision, which I discovered last time. Ouch. I'm bringing them even if I vbac because I've been told my old incision area might be tender after birth.

~an outfit for me to go home in - something loose around the middle, possibly a cute dress?

~several pairs of socks (I hate having my bare feet out for others to see...and the bigger I get the less meticulous I can be taking care of them,,yuck!)

~hair bands and chapstick (ones I don't mind losing as last time I put my hair up and down)

~toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, hair brush, shampoo/conditioner - buying little travel size ones to use at the hospital so I don't have to use their standard junk

~nursing sleep bra, nursing pads - may or may not use these, I stayed in the hospital gown for the most part last time and my milk didn't come in until the day I left anyway

~snacks - not necessarily for labour but also because I snack regularly during the day and don't just eat at mealtimes

For my husband I'm also making him pack a change of clothes even though he'll probably go home before we do, snacks he likes, and toiletries just in case.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing a lightweight bathrobe, as I've seen too many friends boobs hanging out of their hospital gowns.....not to mention I think it looks way better in pictures than the hospital gown.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    All of that plus my TENS machine with spare batteries and extra sticking tape, lots of loose change for the snack machine/pay phone/tv top up card. My own first aid kit - paracetamol, arnica and caulophyllum homeopathic tablets for me, arnica cream for baby, hypercal for any tears I may have, maternity pads, a bottle of squash/ribena for the luke warm drinking water, nappy cream to put on thickly before the meconium comes out and a black bin liner for packing away dirty clothes.
  • samarieL
    samarieL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing:

For baby:
    two sleepers, her coming home outfit, two oversized receiving blankets

For me:

my one nightgown, a two tank style shirts, a long sleeve cardigan type shirt, and my old black underwear to wear home. I plan to wear home what I go in - I'm having a scheduled c-section so there shouldn't be a mess or anything. I like the mesh hospital underwear while I'm there because it's easier on my incision.

a comb, hair ties and clips, chapstick, toiletries

extension cord

camera and camera charger cord

kindle and kindle charger

breast shields - the standard size don't fit me, I'm too big chested

soothie gel pads

lanolin

notebook and pens - I like to have these with me all the time in case I get bored or find I just feel like jotting something down or whatever. lol

gum

my own pillow and blanket

Also I will have the little gift bags I'm making for the kiddos but those I'll just have DH bring up when the kids come up to meet the baby.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For me:
    Clothes – nightgown, robe, long-sleeved cardigan, 2 tank tops, some big old grungy underwear (sexy, I know), socks, slippers, nursing bra and my “going home outfit” which contains yoga pants and a large button up shirt.
    Toiletries – comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup remover, chapstick, shampoo, conditioner and deodorant.
    Misc. – phone charger, pillow, blanket, camera, battery charger and change/small amount of cash.

For Preston, my husband:
    Clothes – pair of gym shorts, pajama pants, jeans, boxers, socks, flip flops/slippers and three basic shirts.
    Toiletries – toothbrush, deodorant and we will share the rest of what I’m bringing.
    Misc. – phone charger, pillow and blanket.

For baby:
    Clothes – 3 sleep & play pajamas (one of these she will come home in), 1 sleep bag, hat and mittens.
    Toiletries – n/a
    Misc. – blanket, pacifier and car seat (…obviously).
  • superhelga
    superhelga Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above. Especially healthy snacks ( nuts, carrots, apples banana etc)s. The vending machine snacks is all just chips and chocolate. I was in labor for 36 h and not allowed to eat or drink and then when the baby was finally out I had to wait for the next meal for real nutrition. A pretty bad start on some exhausting weeks.
    Also I would get and bring a nursing pillow. I love " my briest friend" it was truly my best friend when my son was nursing. And read up on nursing in advance too if this is your first. Its tricky to figure out, both for you and baby. The hospital staff will help you get started. A nursing pillow makes it way easier and comfortable, espesially If you are a plus size woman with big, heavy breasts, or have a c- section.
    Good luck! And congratulations!

Oh. Another super convenient thing. A bright blanket or hat. That way your baby is easy to spot trough the window in the nursery. Convenient:)
  • courtneybray773
    Options
    Clothes for everyone and toiletries.
    When giving birth in the hospital, they provide you with all the wipes and diapers you need. Take full advantage and don't bother bringing your own.