Motivation

Options
jesusHchris
jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
Hey Peeps,

When you find yourself in a motivational slump (just in general, not necessarily fitness related), what do you do? I've had a case of the stare-at-youtube-instead-of-anything-productive lately...

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Listen to this OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkJLTGweKl0
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I take a shower and get dressed. If I do that then I know my day has "started".
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0

Not that it's going to help you get out of Youtube! :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you figure out the answer, let me know! I'm in a bit of a motivational slump these days too.
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds silly, but for some reason it works for me. I put on something that I know doesn't fit... that either 1. Used to fit but doesn't because I've gained weight or 2. Is a "goal" of mine. It reminds me that I need to keep going.

This might only work for girls haha, but it works for me.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    lol I listen to The Eye of the Tiger or the Mortal Kombat song.....Just cant sit down and do nothing after that
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I threaten myself.............with death! :laugh:

kiddin........

*kitten*? chocolate? Carbs? A rush of serotonin of any kind, basically........ :bigsmile:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I can't access FD's link but one slump breaker for me is listening to "The strangest secret" by Earl Nightingale. It helps re-align my thinking.

Also, inspirational movies like Pursuit of Happyness or Blind Side.

And, finally, when I am just NOT motivated, I force myself to spend 10 or so minutes doing a chore I've been putting off or really hate.
    MOD EDIT*
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.

It's a MFP rule, Single Peeps is a public forum, we have to abide by them.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    GreatestMedicine.jpg
    I don't know how many could relate to this, but this is one of my biggest motivations I use for days I feel like "bleh" about getting off my butt and do some exercise. I used to take 6 differents meds including an injection for all the obese related health issues I had. Type II diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, something to help protect my kidneys because the combination of all the meds I was taking, was bad for my kidneys. I still have them, they have all expired. I haven't had to use them in nearly 2 years because I got better to the point I no longer needed any of them, but I keep them around to remind me of where I could be if I slack off and go back to my old habits.

I also have like 6 gym crushes and knowning I may see 1 of these girls helps get my *kitten* to the gym. :blushing: Oh and I've talked to 3 of them. Of course they are like super fit, cute and taken. :frown: I don't know about the other 3, yet.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I can't access FD's link but one slump breaker for me is listening to "The strangest secret" by Earl Nightingale. It helps re-align my thinking.

And, finally, when I am just NOT motivated, I force myself to spend 10 or so minutes doing a chore I've been putting off or really hate.
    MOD EDIT*

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.

Um.. nowhere in my post did I solicit off forum contact or post a link or mention a service, website or business. A book is not a business. I mentioned that I talked about this concept in my book, which is about getting out of slumps (the topic at hand), but did not solicit or provide any links or ask anyone to buy it. I would expect that people would appreciate knowing that I'm not just talking out my butt here, but actually have some experience with the topic, as evidenced by publishing a print book on the topic. This is not the same thing as trying to sell someone in network marketing (it works, scentsy, pamperd chef, mary kay, etc) an occurrence that HAS happened here in the forums.

I fully expect that if the mods are going to censor my naming my book which happens to be about the topic I'm responding to, then they will also censor other people's posts, especially where they go as far as to give the link to buy it.

Actually I take that back. Since the mods have not censored such posts in the past, I fully expect that they will only continue exerting such rules at times convenient to them and against people they are particularly irritated with.

Mod comment:

When we received reports of self promotion, then it's deemed necessary to act on it. We agreed that mentioning your book was, in essence, promoting the book. Is it really necessary to mention your book when advising someone? You've mentioned it a few times. Not sure who's 'irritated' with you, but you may want to stop taking things personally? The moderators act in the best interests of the forum and it's members only, and only ever get involved when there are reports to moderate. Thanks
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation, fitness related... summer has been so fun and I find myself up 10 lbs... probably booze pounds... it's soooo hard to get back on track!!!

So I am open to hear everyone's ideas too!
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if my situation is translatable to others, but I am finally doing what I love! Sure, writing endless essays about thirteenth century performance practice in music is not really my cup of tea, but I'm willing to sit at the library for hours (yeah, at the library right now!) writing them, because I know that tomorrow I'm going to have my first opera rehearsal at my school, and the day after that I have a lesson with my new teacher (did I mention I saw him sing at Carnegie Hall a few months ago?), plus I have a fabulous new voice coach and head shots and all kinds of wonderful new auditions to apply for. Seriously, I'm living the dream.

For me, I just have to find what I love. Now that I know I can sing for real and am in an environment where I will be able to transition to a career, it's a whole lot easier to get up for my 8 am classes and stay up until midnight copying opera scores that are too damn big for the copier, etc. Maybe just find something new to fall in love with? Being stalled in life is one of the biggest motivation killers, I've found...

Disclaimer: this might not make sense. I used my brain to write essays for music history :tongue:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Janie,

Not sure why that was moderated but the original post seems completely legitimate in context. For what it's worth. :)

Operation,
    Wow! You've got some amazing stuff going on, sounds exciting!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    My link is a youtube video "Rocky Balboa's Speech to Son" - it's like the second video down.

Amazing!!!
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Operation,
    Wow! You've got some amazing stuff going on, sounds exciting!

Thanks! It really is -- sometimes I sit in class and want to laugh because it still feels a bit surreal that this all worked out for me! It took almost five years for me to decide to make my life happen instead of waiting for it to happen though. It's kind of amazing how quickly everything fell into place once I followed through with the idea of grad school, rather than thinking, well, someday it will happen.

You'll get your motivation back, I'm sure. You seem like a guy who's got it together :)
  • JanieJack
    Options

MOD EDIT*

Um.. nowhere in my post did I solicit off forum contact or post a link or mention a service, website or business. A book is not a business. I mentioned that I talked about this concept in my book, which is about getting out of slumps (the topic at hand), but did not solicit or provide any links or ask anyone to buy it. I would expect that people would appreciate knowing that I'm not just talking out my butt here, but actually have some experience with the topic, as evidenced by publishing a print book on the topic. This is not the same thing as trying to sell someone in network marketing (it works, scentsy, pamperd chef, mary kay, etc) an occurrence that HAS happened here in the forums.

I fully expect that if the mods are going to censor my naming my book which happens to be about the topic I'm responding to, then they will also censor other people's posts, especially where they go as far as to give the link to buy it.

Actually I take that back. Since the mods have not censored such posts in the past, I fully expect that they will only continue exerting such rules at times convenient to them and against people they are particularly irritated with.

Mod comment:

When we received reports of self promotion, then it's deemed necessary to act on it. We agreed that mentioning your book was, in essence, promoting the book. Is it really necessary to mention your book when advising someone? You've mentioned it a few times.

Interesting that this is the first time I've heard of any complaints regarding mentioning my book. I would expect that if there have been several complaints that the moderators would have PMed me and said something.. If not the first time someone complained, then at the very least, the second.time.
    Not sure who's 'irritated' with you, but you may want to stop taking things personally? The moderators act in the best interests of the forum and it's members only, and only ever get involved when there are reports to moderate. Thanks

Oh, I don't know...Perhaps whoever blocked me from this group for a bit and didn't bother to explain why...? I asked Sherri and Cesar and they had no idea (I couldn't remember who else moderated and, since I had no access, I couldn't look at the group to figure out who else to ask). You are right. I should stop taking things personally.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Coffee's for closers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx5mee7KGjI

Edit: Aha, just saw this was already posted! Great minds think alike, I suppose.

Here's a follow-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJAej07XUos

--P
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

MOD EDIT*

Mod comment:

When we received reports of self promotion, then it's deemed necessary to act on it. We agreed that mentioning your book was, in essence, promoting the book. Is it really necessary to mention your book when advising someone? You've mentioned it a few times.

Interesting that this is the first time I've heard of any complaints regarding mentioning my book. I would expect that if there have been several complaints that the moderators would have PMed me and said something.. If not the first time someone complained, then at the very least, the second.time.
    Not sure who's 'irritated' with you, but you may want to stop taking things personally? The moderators act in the best interests of the forum and it's members only, and only ever get involved when there are reports to moderate. Thanks

Oh, I don't know...Perhaps whoever blocked me from this group for a bit and didn't bother to explain why...? I asked Sherri and Cesar and they had no idea (I couldn't remember who else moderated and, since I had no access, I couldn't look at the group to figure out who else to ask). You are right. I should stop taking things personally.

Isn't it also a violation to air grievances with moderators?

Note: I'm not complaining so I hope the moderators don't act on my pointing this out.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Might be. It's also against policy to curse in the forums but even the mods do that all the time. No one complains so I guess it's ok.

I want the point to be made that if people are complaining about someone, you don't just delete their post and ban them from the group. FIRST you tell them "hey, quit it" with a PM. Putting such things in a "reply" or "edited msg" may never get back to the individual.

Especially if they've been blocked from the group.