Insulin Resistance and having trouble losing weight

Options
I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance in between my 2nd and third child. I had the weight gain, abnormal periods, hunger, and not being able to lose weight. When I got pregnant with my third I was at my heaviest and after having her almost 7 months ago have only been able to drop a little bit of weight. I don't want to have another baby until I am healthy again. I need to lose about 82 pounds. I hear that a low carb diet (with approximately 25 carbs a day), 30 minute workout six days a week, lots of water, and high protein diet works the best for those with insulin resistance. I also hear that it may be harder to lose, but is obtainable. I really need support to help get this weight off. Thanks

Replies

• kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am insulin resistant and I eat low carb. I eat fewer than 20 g carbs per day, moderate protein, and higher fat. This is working for me. I have only lost around 8 lbs so far but the changes are awesome. My PCOS symptoms are getting so much better. I am not having insulin spikes and my blood sugar is under control. Just watch your protein levels. You want to get enough but too much can mess with your kidneys. I would check out http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for a quick overview for getting started.

It really is attainable! It just takes a lot of dedication. But the results are so worth it! This diet will help keep you from developing diabetes as well (this is one of my main goals right now)!!
  • Jaredguatemala
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to look at that website. How long have you had PCOS?
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to look at that website. How long have you had PCOS?

I was diagnosed 6 years ago when I was 18. But I have shown symptoms since my early puberty at age 9. The doctors just didn't put two and two together unfortunately. It took me getting extremely sick every time I ate for them to realize that my endocrine system was completely crazy. When they finally diagnosed me, I was on the verge of becoming infertile completely.

For years they told me to calorie restrict and I have tracked every bite that I ate for the majority of the last 4 years. Up until last summer I was still gaining while eating what the doctors called 'great' plus exercising like crazy. Finally last summer one nurse practitioner who also had PCOS told me to start watching my carbs. Not really the number at that point but the type.The Low Glycemic Diet based on the glycemic index was where I started. I lost about 10 lbs that summer and maintained since then but after I stalled out I never started losing again for some reason. I didn't do much research at that point because I was getting married and I just wanted to get through the wedding before worrying about it too much! As long as I stayed fitting in my dress I was happy lol. After the wedding though, I started doing more research and that is when I came across the idea of very low carb eating. I started watching youtube videos, reading blogs, reading scientific studies etc. and the more I learned the more I realized it was the best way for me to eat. If you would like more resources, I would be happy to send them your way!! I have a whole huge stockpile lol.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am insulin resistant and I eat low carb. I eat fewer than 20 g carbs per day, moderate protein, and higher fat. This is working for me. I have only lost around 8 lbs so far but the changes are awesome. My PCOS symptoms are getting so much better. I am not having insulin spikes and my blood sugar is under control. Just watch your protein levels. You want to get enough but too much can mess with your kidneys. I would check out http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf for a quick overview for getting started.

It really is attainable! It just takes a lot of dedication. But the results are so worth it! This diet will help keep you from developing diabetes as well (this is one of my main goals right now)!!

Second low carb, moderate protein, higher fat. Protein invokes an insulin response, as well, so high protein isn't really the way to go (even body builders don't do more than 2g per pound of lean body mass, and it's usually considered really good to eat 1g/pound). Also, low carb, low fat, high protein for extended periods of time can result in protein poisoning and just in general isn't really sustainable.

Fat is pure energy, like carbs, but doesn't invoke an insulin response.