Daily Challeng 10/9/2013 Planning Day!

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
Okay folks...

For those of you working through the weekly challenge this week this challenge might be useful.

Today you are challenged to do some meal planning.

Open up that pantry. Open up the fridge. Open up the cupboards.

Now...open up your food diary and draft in some meals for yourself for a day or two or three.

You might not eat everything you sketch in--you might eat more--you might eat different things.

The objective is start you thinking a little further beyond, "One day at a time".

Yes, admittedly, "one day at a time" is how we will ultimately complete this journey, but in the meantime, using your food diary as a menu planner can help you organize things like shopping lists--you might base your potential meal plans around the meats, fruits, and veggies that listing in your grocery store flyer for the upcoming week.

Below I would like to hear about your meal planning habits, and what potential benefits YOU can think of, that might be associated with proactive, rather than reactive food logging.

Good logging and good luck.

Replies

• bird5027
    bird5027 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mark, this is one area that I totally lack in. I will make my best effort to plan my meals out. I know I have left overs in the fridge that need to be eaten because I have a horrible habit of letting my stomach tell me that dinner tonight will not be the same as the night before. Needless to say I spend too much money and time in the grocery store and put a lot more into the trash. Today I will plan out my dinner for tonight and my lunch for tomorrow based on the leftovers in my fridge. Thanks for the great challenge my friend!
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I actually already do this for my whole week, knowing what I'm having everyday :P I can't stay on track without massive amounts of organisation hehe.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    If it counts after tonight the only meat I have left in my freezer is chicken so Wednesday is chicken Thursday is dinner out with the ladies, Friday I leave on a one night shopping explosion with 2 of my kids and my friend! That's my plan!!! However on a weekly basis I know mostly what I am cooking and am starting to learn portions and checking ahead of time for labels! Tonight I am making homemade hamburger helper but I am going to measure and weigh the ingrediants, make substitutions and add a lot of veggies!

Tomorrow BBQ chicken strips (not breaded) and rice with a big side of veggies!

Thursday we are going to a build your own stirfry place so I will be having lots of veggies and chicken and I am going to try skipping the noodles this time (I usually have noodles and rice).

Friday is McDonald's on our way out of town where I will have a sweet chili wrap minus the sweet chili sauce and a yogurt.

I have had some big shocks the past few weeks about the foods I love and what they really mean! Someone on here suggested that when they want to snack they log in first and that has saved my butt a few times!

I think when we preplan it stops binge eating and I have leaned always measure first because you may think you got a good guess but you are likely wrong!

I don't have a lot of good habits in this area yet but I sure am working on them!
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I actually TRY to do this every week... I try to plan the meals that I will be making for dinner so I don't end up going to the drive-thru or making bad chioces. And it has been going pretty good lately :happy: I have found that by cooking at home I get much tastier food with way less calories than eating at any restaurant.
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    And judging by the recipes you share so generously, Malia, a DARN fine cook too...

REMEMBER EVERYONE--this challenge is much more about the thinking, meditation, and cogitation, than it is about filing in your diary in advance and checking things off.

But as we all seem to be learning, a good plan can save our frustration, money, time, AND calories.

Sometimes the challenge is just to THINK AHEAD.

We have more control in action than in reaction.