Effective hair removal on a budget

Hi folks,

New to MFP but I'm glad I found the groups that I did. Been wondering lately.....are there any hair removal products out there right now that work on people with PCOS? I've tried nearly everything that the grocery store has to offer and my mustache just laughs at them. What else can I try that's not terribly expensive? Or painful. I'm leery to head to the salon for any sort of service because...well, because I'm a big baby.

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Waxing works but hurts like the devil. I went the laser route almost 10 years ago and I am so glad I did. It was expensive, but when I think about the products I would have purchased and the depression I would have endured over that "unfeminine" feeling, it was worth 3 times what I paid. Some say with PCOS gals it comes back quicker, but I have not experienced a lot of that. A few here and there but nothing I can't easily pluck versus the forest I had before.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Do you mind my asking....about how much is laser treatment? And do you need multiple treatments?
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    I am on spirnolactone for mine, which has lessen the growth alot, but I still shave every morning.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    I actually can't remember how much I paid but it was so long ago, prices have likely come down. I also take Spironolactone like the other poster and I'm sure that has helped keep me from getting more. That is a cheap prescription. Mine is $15 a month, but I started taking it because it helps me keep my hair on my head. Ah, the joys of PCOS.

You do need multiple treatments because hair grows in cycles. So you'll go back 3-8 times (mine was 4, I think?) to get it all.
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
    I wish there was something effective.
    I'm on a budget as well.
    And I've tried waxing, shaving, creams, you name it.
    Recently, last Christmas my mom spent 350$ on a No-No! & don't waste your money on that either. Doesn't work.
    it slows the growth on my arms, but it still grows back.
    Sometimes if I have a couple days off work I let my facial hair grow out, and use the no-no as burning it off makes the hair pretty much fall off when shaving, but it still grows back just as strong and fast. Just makes it easier and not as painful because not only was I cursed with facial hair, I also have sensitive skin so shaving hurts.
    Waxing pretty much rips my skin off.
    I always have a razor rash -new razor or old.
    So it's so embarrassing! I just wonder what it would be like to be normal lol.
    So I just use cover up but I wish there was a better solution too!
  • Has anyone tried a supplement approach? I've been hearing good things about DCI and supposedly it helps to counter act the ridiculous hair growing madness that PCOS induces. I'm willing to try.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    I have an appointment with my primary doctor to discuss this very issue the end of October. I'll report back her recommendations (she also has PCOS so she's uniquely qualified). We needed fertility treatments to get pregnant anyway, so if DCI effects fertility like the articles warn, well then it can have at it! I'm getting up there in age, had a difficult pregnancy, and a premature (though perfect) baby, so we're one and done. I'll try it if the doc signs off (had cancer too, so I'm not taking anything the docs wouldn't recommend).
  • anothercolleen
    anothercolleen Posts: 17 Member
    My doc pretty much told me my best option was laser. I'm on spiro too. I did a groupon for laser treatments and it was the best money spent. I could kick myself for not spending it before since I was pretty unhappy about the facial hair problems for a long time. I thinkI paid like $200 for 6 treatments for what they considered a half-face.

Depending on where you live see if you can find a groupon or living social for laser. It will save you money. Just google the provider before you purchase to make sure the reviews are good.