At what weight did you first fail with the OP?

Options
smccb
smccb Posts: 99 Member
I just failed for the first time to do all 5 x 5 reps of the overhead press with 65 lbs of weight. Is that pretty weak? I just can't see myself being able to do it next time, let alone add more weight after that.

Any advice on how to get through?

Thanks!

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of 5x5 (had stopped months ago due to increased training for marathon). I've been at 45 lbs for three weeks now because I'm barely getting through that, so I'd say 50 lbs. I only made it to 55 lbs last go-round so you're a hell of a lot stronger than I :blushing:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I think I stalled at 70 the first time, but got up to 80. Everyone is different and you shouldn't compare yourself to others. OHP is one of the hardest lifts. You are able to lift a human child over your head. I would say that is not weak at all.

Slow your progression down. You can make progress by increasing number of reps or weight. Many women chose to use fractional plates to increase by a pound or two instead of the 5 lbs. If you don't have access to the smaller increments, you can progress with # of reps and sets. I used a rep progression instead of a weight progression with my OHP. I would start with 3x5 and then if I got all reps, go to 4x5 at the same weight. I would only increase weight when I hit all 5 reps in all 5 sets.

Also keep in mind that with OHP, you are not doing a push press where you are using momentum from your legs to get the weight moving up. So if you are comparing #'s to someone doing a 100 lb push press, you are not being fair to yourself. I think the highest strict OHP weight I have seen from a woman is around 100 lbs. And that was after years of training. You are doing just fine.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am stalled at 55lbs. Oh well. :yawn:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You're doing a lot better than me. I think I first stalled at something like 50lb, and I'm still struggling.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I failed and also hit my lip with the oly bar at 50 lbs. So possibly "double failure" (if there was such a thing).
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I am doing the program with my husband, and he is just flying through the reps, so I was feeling pretty inadequate. :-) I am glad to know that others struggle with the overhead press.

I am going to try it again on Thursday at 65 lbs, but if I don't get it, I think I will try the 3 x 5 and move up from there. I had never considered that, so thank you!

Just out of curiosity (I am only in my fourth week) which exercise did you stall out on next?

Also, did any of you find the starting weight of the barbell rows a bit heavy? My form was terrible, I think because it was a bit too heavy for me, so I cut the weight in half.

I am so glad to have found this group!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    bench was my next failure - those darn weedy arms compared to legs huh!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Still haven't done a full set with the oly bar
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love when my hubby out does me.. he is a man and it is expected.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    my hub doesn't lift but can pin me easily (for tickling purposes after 11pm.. not cool, not cool at all after 10 years of marriage and me going ape at him Every.Single.Night. when he does it!!) so I suspect he could outlift me!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I failed and also hit my lip with the oly bar at 50 lbs. So possibly "double failure" (if there was such a thing).

LMAO! I haven't hit my lip, but I did hit the top of my dead once. Made a loud noise and all the bros at the gym stared at me. I gave a little wave and did another set.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    From my build and past lifting experience, I tend to be stronger at OHP than most women. I think I stalled at 75 lbs, and that was about a month into SL. It's now nearly 6 months later and I'm stalled around 85/90, so progress is really slow going. My second stall was on rows. I never got past 105 with decent form. Now I've switched to Texas Method (based on Starting Strength), which doesn't include rows, so I don't do them anymore.
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    I stalled for something stupid like 7/8 weeks at 25kg/55lbs

Then a form tweak meant I blasted a 27.5kg no probs (chest out, and a slight lean back and it just worked finally for me!( - and going to attempt a 30kg/66lbs (even if I just do this once!) on sunday.

This was just the most frustrating thing ever - keep going.

I just kept at it even though I hated it/dreaded it/ made me sooooo made

I also think a wee addition of some push presses in also helped give me a wee boost