1st gay wedding?!

Options
bcarman86
bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
This weekend I'm attending my very first gay wedding in Minnesota! I can't wait! I know it is going to be lezbolicious, so exciting! When and where did you attend your first gay wedding? And was it awesome?!

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My first was in the late 1990s before they had any legal force anywhere in the US. I'm sorry to say, I don't remember who exactly it was, a couple of friends from AA, who didn't stay together long after the ceremony. :frown:

My second was during the six months of California marriage equality in 2008. My husband's oldest friend had a huge blowout lasting an entire weekend at a conference center at Lake Arrowhead. We had a great time but my strongest memory of the weekend actually is not a good one. This was the first weekend in November 2008, right before the vote on Proposition 8. As we came down the mountain after the gala weekend, we drove along a road in San Bernardino where someone had lines about two miles of highway with Yes on 8 signs. That creepy sight was my first inkling that Prop 8 was very popular outside my hermetic little gay world and an ominous foreshadowing of the election result that came two days later.

My third was earlier this month and I was half the grooms! :love:
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

Congratulations!!!!
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options

Aww, congratulations! My beloved and I got married in Canada two years ago this July!
  • bcarman86
    Options
    3rd was earlier this month and I was half the grooms! :love:

CONGRATULATIONS!
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

I love that!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hope you have a great time!
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    12 years ago when my love and I headed up to Canada right after they made it legal.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We had our gay wedding in 2007. My husband comes from a rural town upstate NY, and I'm from Brooklyn, NY.
    You can't be any opposite when it comes to growing up. City vs country.
    If anyone remembers the old TV show called Green Acres with Ava Gabor and Eddie Arnold, we dressed up like them and did a Green Acres skit while playing it in the background on a giant screen.
    People couldn't stop laughing and we had a great wedding and a great day! Xoxo
  • treetop57
    Options
    I get allergic smelling hay.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We had our gay wedding in 2007. My husband comes from a rural town upstate NY, and I'm from Brooklyn, NY.
    If anyone remembers the old TV show called Green Acres with Ava Gabor and Eddie Arnold, we dressed up like them and did a Green Acres skit while playing it in the background on a giant screen.

This is fantastic........
  • bcarman86
    Options

So cute!
  • bcarman86
    Options
    The wedding was great! It was crazy mix of Jewish, Catholic, Filipino, gay, straight, English, Yiddish, Tagalo.. And a very happy celebration!
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Friday the 13th June 2009. My husband and I had a little ceremony that cost us probably 200 dollars. Some friends, fire and booze. Very pagan, a good friend blessed us with an interesting life.

The second gay wedding was 2010, the at the time president of pride and his boyfriend (they split up earlier this year).

My partner and I hope to have a more conservative ceremony involving a bit more of a native (American Indian {southeastern}) take as we've changed over the years. The next ceremony will be dry and I won't be shirtless in a kilt and boots.
  • treetop57
    Options
    The Veterans Home in Chula Vista, San Diego, saw a historic moment on Thursday [9/12/2013] with its first gay wedding.

WWII veteran John Banvard, 95, and Vietnam veteran Gerard Nadeau, 68, have been together for 20 years. They told Fox5 that they'd been waiting on the Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex unions in California before tying the knot.

"It was something we wanted to do for a long time," Banvard told ABC10.

The couple wanted to have the ceremony amongst friends, so on Thursday they were married outside the V.A. Home, where they've lived together for the last three and a half years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/13/john-banvard-gerard-nadeau_n_3922251.html
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went to my first gay wedding only 3 years ago .. it was honestly the best wedding I've ever been to! Both the brides look amazing, they picked this stunning setting but the best bit was the way they'd put the ceremony together. They thought about all the important stuff to them, they took out things like sickness and health (one of them has a life long impairment) and rich and poor (money will always be difficult, when you're disabled!) .. it was just perfect and I loved every second of it :-D