So, I hurt myself..

Options
At my WOD on Friday, I knew I pulled something in my leg/groin area.. as moving my leg certain ways (common ways) has caused me to wince all weekend. Not CRAZY pain, but it hurts. I'm annoyed, because I wanted to workout tonight..
Has this happened to anyone else? How long will this stop me from working out? I attempted squats today, and I can't do it without wincing. And seeing as how almost EVERYTHING in Crossfit requires squatting.. I think I'm temporarily screwed. :(

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Are you hurt or just sore?
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can suck it up if it's soreness. Have many times. But this makes me wince.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to anyone else? How long will this stop me from working out?

With all due respect, how the hell can anyone answer those questions?? You don't know if or how bad you are hurt. If you are concerned, go see a doctor rather than trying for an internet diagnosis.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I would take a week off if the pain is still there after not wodding for a week I'd go see a doctor. Sometimes you just need rest continuing to go wod will only increase the chances of something more serious happening.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options

With all due respect, how the hell can anyone answer those questions?? You don't know if or how bad you are hurt. If you are concerned, go see a doctor rather than trying for an internet diagnosis.

First of all, no need for the smart *kitten* connotation. Secondly, I was asking if anyone else has had this happen, there is nothing wrong with that question. And the follow up question was in regard to those people (if there were any).
    So thank you for the useless reply and adding sarcasm and rudeness to my post instead of help.
    My question was not looking for medical advice, it was a simple post on others' experiences. The end.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    I would take a week off if the pain is still there after not wodding for a week I'd go see a doctor. Sometimes you just need rest continuing to go wod will only increase the chances of something more serious happening.

Yeah, that's what I planned on doing. It's a bummer, though.
  • georgie304
    Options
    Def do not WOD... But maybe you could do some upper body at home while giving your strain a rest... And yes, get to the doctor if it isn't better in a couple of days.

Good luck.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

First of all, no need for the smart *kitten* connotation. Secondly, I was asking if anyone else has had this happen, there is nothing wrong with that question. And the follow up question was in regard to those people (if there were any).
    So thank you for the useless reply and adding sarcasm and rudeness to my post instead of help.
    My question was not looking for medical advice, it was a simple post on others' experiences. The end.

Good grief. Calm down. All I was saying is that you don't even know what happened so how does anyone else know if it happened to them???

But you are more than welcome for the reply. :flowerforyou:
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know it's a bad area, But try to RICE (not sure how you'd elevate that area lol), for a couple of days and then call your doc. You could have just inflamed something.

I haven't done that area, but I've tweaked my lower back before. I iced/rested, doubled the Omega 3's (Robb Wolf mentioned it helps with inflammation), and stretched gently. After 3-4 days, I was right as rain.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    I know it's a bad area, But try to RICE (not sure how you'd elevate that area lol), for a couple of days and then call your doc. You could have just inflamed something.

I haven't done that area, but I've tweaked my lower back before. I iced/rested, doubled the Omega 3's (Robb Wolf mentioned it helps with inflammation), and stretched gently. After 3-4 days, I was right as rain.

Thanks. I really can't tell if it's muscle or joint related. I'll try the extra omega 3's and rest. I'll see what happens. Thank you for the advice.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If it is that bad where you are wincing, then I would take a break and within that break if you are in such serious pain then go to the doctor to make sure you didn't tear anything.

I hurt my knees a few weeks ago, and I just don't do deep squats, so no thrusters etc for me. I sub it for something else

If you are not even able to do a shallow squat then need time off

Feel better soon
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input! :) I actually went to class last night, but like miqisha said, I didn't do anything involving squats. Our warm up was catalyst and stretching (which felt great).. and the skill was front squats. Obviously I didn't do the front squats, and my trainer had me work on mobility instead. The WOD was box jumps and pull ups, which wasn't affecting my issue. So at least I still got to work out! Not as hard as I would have liked to, though.

Edited for a spelling mistake! :P
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Thanks. I really can't tell if it's muscle or joint related. I'll try the extra omega 3's and rest. I'll see what happens. Thank you for the advice.

Trust yourself. By now I'm assuming you know the difference between the "damn that workout killed me" soreness" and something more than that. If it's more, rest it for a few days and see if it improves. If it doesn't call your doctor. You don't want to wait too long if it continues to hurt and have it turn out to be something serious.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input! :) I actually went to class last night, but like miqisha said, I didn't do anything involving squats. Our warm up was catalyst and stretching (which felt great).. and the skill was front squats. Obviously I didn't do the front squats, and my trainer had me work on mobility instead. The WOD was box jumps and pull ups, which wasn't affecting my issue. So at least I still got to work out! Not as hard as I would have liked to, though.

So jumping up and stepping down didn't hurt but squats do? That should help narrow it down a bit right there because they are largely the same muscles being worked.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options

So jumping up and stepping down didn't hurt but squats do? That should help narrow it down a bit right there because they are largely the same muscles being worked.

Yeah, it's the left leg outward stretching in only a couple of positions that gets the pain. It's an odd, sharp-ish pain. It's definitely not soreness. I've worked through soreness. I'm a tough gal. But I'm just going to be avoiding the squats until I know I can do them again and not feel the same sensation. I really don't think it's anything I need to see a professional about. But I'll figure that out if it hasn't remedied itself in a few days or so.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I tweaked my knee on a 400m run and it was swollen and insanely painful right below my knee cap. I thought I popped a tendon or ligament. I took regular doses of Ibuprofen and iced it constantly. I also took 2 full days off from WODs. Even with that I wasn't pain free for about 10 days.

Sounds like you have a groin pull. Only way to recover is to rest. You can do light stretching, but definitely no squats or lifting. Always better to take a few days to recover than let your ego push you into a more serious injury.

CF will always be there for you when you get back.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^^

If it is indeed a groin pull err on the side of caution and let it heal completely before ramping up the activity. I had one linger for over a year because I would wait until if felt good then reinjure it.
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I literally had a dime size hole in my shoulder due to infected stitches, but I continued to go to the box. My coach would give me alternative exercises. Mind you I could still squat, damnit, but push up, pull ups, kettle bells and upper body lifts were not possible. Best of luck and I hope you're feeling better soon. : )
  • georgie304
    Options
    Doing any better today?
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    Doing any better today?

It felt better today.. but not completely. Still a little strained. So I'm just going to wait another day. I did the WOD last night. It was more pullups and box jumps and also some wall walks. So I lucked out again without the squats. Haha. I am still not 100% confident today either, and I might not luck out again today with the squat-less WOD, so I'll have to see what the WOD is before I head there as my box doesn't post the workout online.

But thank you for asking! That was nice of you. :)