protein problems

Options
I am new to this group and honestly new to myfitness pal even though I signed up a bit ago. I was sleeved on 8/27/2013 so I am about 2 weeks post op. I am having a hard time getting in 50 grams of protein much less 60 to 80 grams daily on the cloudy liquids.. any tips or advice? I am just not hungry enough and am trying really hard to eat on a schedule to get the 42 grams I am getting daily... any tips would be great! Thanks

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    At two weeks out my wife and I were still on the liquid diet. We had Bariatric Advantage brand protein for shakes, she used water, I used skim milk. Two of these shakes per day is 60 grams of protein, if I remember correctly (I know the Premier Nutrition premixed shakes from Costco provide that much.) Right at the start of the third week, we were allowed the pureed diet which gives you more choices, if this is the same plan your doctor uses. (They aren't all the same.)

You need to talk to your doctor and/or nutritionist if you are really struggling. I think at this point your doctor will be happy if you are sticking to the liquids and letting your stomach heal, but you would really need to ask him/her.
  • april7141
    Options
    I have a protein shake that is 23 grams of protein and a premier protein bar that is 30 grams. There is at least 53 is if you can do that. Sorry guess you can't do the bar yet.... but maybe a couple premier shakes could give you 60 as they are 30 grams of protein. I heard you can get cases of them at costco for cheap.Good luck do what you can don't stress it too much right now it's still early out.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    It's normal not to hit goals at first. But by now, you should probably be getting there.

Protein shakes are the best way to pack a lot of protein into a small drink. At 3 months out, a daily protein shake is still how I meet daily protein requirements.

Or you can add protein supplements into your soups or drinks. I haven't tried it, but heard that unflavored Unjury works if it stays lukewarm. If it's heated up too much, it turns into hard clumps.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Premeir protein is 30 per drink @ 160 calories. 11oz each
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I was two weeks out from surgery (and still on liquids) I was drinking 2 Premier Protein shakes per day. You can buy them at Sam's Club, Costco, or some other grocery stores now. They don't taste bad and it helped me meet my daily 60 gram goal. Now that I'm almost four months out, I only drink one a day and get the rest of my protein from food.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Please be careful about eating solid food at this point! At two weeks out I was still struggling with water, let alone protein shakes, let alone actual food! You need to first be worrying about your hydration levels, and then try to get your protein in through shakes. Premier protein is my personal favourite. At 2 weeks out you are not capable of eating what your eventual "normal" amount will be as your stomach is steal healing from surgery. It is still swollen! Real food could cause damage to your suture line, so please please be extra careful.
  • LOOKnow123
    Options
    I use the Unjury protein powder and mix it with 8 oz of skim milk. The trick is to make a glass and then just drink 2 oz every hour. This allows you to get in the entire shake. There is no reason you have to try to drink the whole thing at one time. This was the only way I could get in my protein. I am 8 weeks out and now either drink a Unjury shake or eat a Quest Protein Bar.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Protien powders, flavored and unflavored. I would actually add a scoop of unflavored protien pwoder to the flavored stuff for added protien when I was still on the liquid portion of the recovery.
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks out tomorrow and eating soft foods so I really think it depends on what your specific dietary plan is. My body completely rejects every shake I have tried now, which sucks, so i feel your pain on the protein front. I just made a chili egg puff this morning and it is packed with protein, but is also pretty high in fat unless you use low fat ingredients. I have posted the original recipe below:

10 eggs at room temperature
    1/2 C all purpose flour, unsifted
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 pint (16 oz) creamed small curd cottage cheese
    1 lb shredded Jack cheese
    1/2 C melted butter
    2 (4 oz) cans of diced green chilies

With a mixer beat the eggs until light and lemon colored. Add everything but chilies and blend until smooth. Fold in chilies. Put the mixture in a well buttered 9" by 13" baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until top is lightly brown and the center appears firm. Makes about 10 to 12 servings

It freezes well and each serving has 18 grams of protein in it. I can only eat about 3 bites at a time, but I can get through 2 servings in a day, which is a good chunk of the protein requirement that I have. Just remember to listen to your doctor, have honest conversations with him/her and see what your body tolerates. I was supposed to be on pureed foods for another 2 weeks but because my body (or maybe my mind) would not tolerate the texture, they gave me the ok to try soft foods. And let me tell you, getting in more protein has made me feel a million times better than I did week 2!

I assume that you could use egg substitute, lowfat cheeses and a butter substitute or something in the recipe if you wanted to but i didn't.
  • tracer1223
    tracer1223 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At two weeks out it's optimistic to think you'd be getting in enough food or liquid to get to 60-80 grams of protein. It's what you want to work toward. Everyone else has given you some good tips. Besides the protein shakes I also like to use the Isopure Zero Carb protein waters. I got tired of all the milky shakes and liked having something that was clear and more fruity tasting. An 8 oz. bottle has 15 grams of protein.
  • Dezi09087
    Options
    At Two Weeks out I was told not to worry to much about protein but to try and drink one Isopure Clear Liquid drink or one shake a day. I was told to make sure my water intake was good though. I think they are more worried about Dehydration then your intake of protein... It wasn't till about week 4 I was able to drink two shakes in a day. Now at 5 weeks 2 protein drinks are my breakfast/ brunch. I will drink those before anything else and then for the rest of the day I can have other protien foods (like meat). You will get there!

Oh a good way I was getting protein in was Jello mixed with Unjury unflavored protein powder. (you know the jello you have to make) They show you how to make in on there website... it didn't taste half bad and the jello counts as water intake... WIN WIN!
  • ersopher
    Options
    Everyone is giving good tips. Fir me along with unflavored protein powder in my chicken broth, beef broth soups ect. I also added it to my SF puddings and yogurts pretty much anything I could mix it into I did. Hope it all went well :)