Seriously....How many calories should I be taking in?

Options
mandym74
mandym74 Posts: 20 Member
I am not sure how many calories I should be taking in...I was 14 weeks on Friday. Can anyone help with this? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this as abrupt, but this is a question you should be asking your doctor or nutritionist.

In my case, I look at what MFP tells me I need to eat to lose two pounds per week, then go change it to a lower level. I know at this point after my surgery that the only way I could reach that calorie goal is by eating ice cream and other high calorie, slippery melty foods that would quickly go through the stomach.

I'm trying to eat better, learn to listen to my stomach when it first tells me it's full, and concentrate on what the doctors told me. 1) Protein, if not full 2) Vegetables or Fruit 3) THEN carbs. I don't always succeed, but I'm trying. :D

I have my three month surgical followup today, so it sounds like we are right in the same basic mix, and your question will be one that I do ask today. I won't be surprised if I'm wrong and there should be a calorie goal I should have, but I won't be surprised if the doctor just tells me to keep doing what I'm doing.

I know this isn't much help to a specific question, but I hope it gives you some thoughts.

Best wishes for your continued success!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    At this stage you don't have to worry about how many calories, you need to make sure you get enough protein and water. They didn't give me a calorie goal until I was well over a year out.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    At this stage you don't have to worry about how many calories, you need to make sure you get enough protein and water. They didn't give me a calorie goal until I was well over a year out.

Thanks for that insight. I suspected as much, and I imagine doctors are different, but I think mine will also defer on this subject until a year post op.
  • sparker78
    sparker78 Posts: 9
    Options
    My nutritionalist said that after 3 months you should be consuming at least 1200 calories per day up to 1500 per day!! I read on various sleevers websites that a lot of people are still on about 600 calories and I told that to her (the nutritionalist) and she was most shocked. She also added that if you were eating the correct foods, and no rubbish carbs etc, you shouldn't need to count calories at all.
  • bridges15804
    Options
    I am eating pretty much exactly like I'm supposed to in regards to protein first and so on. Most days I'm only getting in 700-800 calories. I'm also working out 60 minutes at least every single day. I was sleeved 05.08.13
  • theBabycakes
    theBabycakes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am 9 wks post op and was advised at my first month post op visit to my doc/nut that I should be eating 1000-1200 cals/ >33g fat/ 80-100g carbs/ and aim for a lifetime goal of 86g protein a day. I seem to not have a problem with these numbers, which is kinda scary. I've even gone over once or twice.

I know that it's really bad to compare to other people because we are all different and have different instructions from our docs, but I see people as far out and farther than me that take in half of what I am and wonder if I'm doing something wrong. But, the bottom line is to listen to your doctors and follow their instructions. I can tolerate pretty much everything and feel good, I take my vitamins, and am losing weight...so I'm okay. :)
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm three years out and need 1300 - 1350 to maintain. I've been in maintaining for a little over 2.5 years now. When I was losing I was getting between 350 and 800 calories per day, 60 + grams of protein. I only got up to 700 - 800 during the last month....which was six months out. My doctor never gave me numbers other than amount of protein and never more than a cup of food at one sitting. I lost nice and steady, up a lb or two and down a lb or two, I'd do this a few times, then it would be gone for good and on to the next couple of pounds! I did this the entire time I was losing. That's just the way I did it.

Like others have said, every doctor is different, but it only makes sense, we had this surgery to eat less. They psychologist at a support group says that we should be below 1000 when we're losing, he said and I quote "You had surgery to eat less and lose weight"
  • amylynn924
    amylynn924 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Other then 30 minutes before meals and 45 minutes after meals, I feel like I'm eating or drinking ALL DAY long. I'm never hungry, so I really have to eat and drink by the clock, so I get in 70 grams of protein and 64 ounces of fluids every day. I eat about 600 calories a day and limit my carbs to <40 grams a day, and fats < 30 grams a day. I'm almost 61 years old, and I'm only 5 feet tall which is why I'm limiting my calories. My Surgery was on Aug. 1, 2013.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    At 3-4 months out I was eating about 600-700 calories per day and struggling to attain that.
    Focus on your water and protein. Im almost a year out now and usually eat 1000 cal per day
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You should be talking to your doctor or dietitian about this. All doctors are different. But concentrate on getting your protein and the other should take care of itself... I am allowed 65 to 75 grams of protein a day, I usually get more! I am 10 months post op but at my 6 month check up my doctor told me I should be eating between 400 to 700 calories a day. That is very low from what I see others as far out as I am getting. but I am now eating between 700 and 800 a day and still getting all my protein. You shouldn't take what we all say on here because EVERY doctor and dietitian are different and every patient is different. Please contact your doctor.