Do you eat carbs or avoid them completely?

Options
I will be honest...I do NOT avoid carbs completely...I eat greek yogurt and I eat veggies and now and then I eat fruit.
I cannot live without these food items. I occasionally have bread...If I eat a sandwich or have some crackers with my tuna salad.

If I go carb less I feel super lightheaded and weak ...I need a good balance of good carbs , protein and healthy fats...

Share your experience....

Replies

• melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    love love love carbs - probably part of why I got so fat in the first place..........but I do still eat them or else the cravings could be overwhelming. I try very hard to keep them around 65-75 g per day MAX
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do eat carbs. I try to stick to around 40 grams per day, but I have days where I consume up to 50-60 grams. Not so frequently though. I also feel light headed and sick when I don't eat them, and I've always been in the mindset that you need carbs. I still want my diet to be balanced. Plus protein all the time gets tiresome. I just make sure that most of my carbs come from things such as greek yogurt, cheeses, veggies and maybe a few starchy things. Occasionally I will indulge in a small sweet treat, but not very often.
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, but, bad carbs (sugars) stall me. I wish I could give them up completely but that's so hard for me. So, I try to limit them and really drink a lot of water to flush them out.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to carbs; but my body assists it can't give them all up. So some seem better than others: whole grains (oats, quinoa), beans, potatoes, corn tortillas, whole fruit, rye crisps... the less processed, the better. I can't eat bread, or it'll make me want more.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat them. My WLS program Nut. told me that a person needs to consume at least 130 grams or more a day of carbs for healthy brain function. I have told her about some people that have WLS were told by their program to keep carbs at like 50-80 and she said that isn't safe or healthy. They never told me number to be with carbs except 130 grams a day. They do tell me to get at least 80 grams of protein and 80 oz of water a day while in the loosing stages. Now that I'm in maintence they told me I could get 70 grams of protein but still get 80 oz of water a day.
    Good luck!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do eat carbs but try only have them at one meal a day. That is what my NUT suggested. Sometimes I have them at lunch also if I am not satisfied with my food selection, but mostly at dinner because I am cooking for family eat with them.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I now eat a balanced healthy portion plate. i was getting very light headed when standing and my dietitian said it was because of too few carbs. She warned me that with all the excrcise I do I need to eat like a normal healthy person would.
  • amylynn924
    amylynn924 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Dr. has me limiting carbs to < 40 (net) grams daily. If I fill my sleeve with protein first, there isn't much room for carbs. The carbs I get are mostly from yogurt, cottage cheese, veggies and fruits.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet had surgery, but I am currently losing (45 lbs in 6 weeks) eating about 100-200 grams of carbs per day and about 1500 calories a day (40c/30p/30f). I am now losing at a rate of about 3 lbs. a week in anticipation of surgery for sleeve.

I need to be able to maintain this level of carbs/calories for health reasons. Is that possible with the sleeve?
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My doctor doesn't worry about carbs unless he has a patient that isn't losing. It's never been an issue with me, I couldn't begin to GUESS what my carb intake is because I've never worried about it. I know some do though.