New to the Board NOT new to PCOS

Options
Hello, my name is Melissa. I found out October 2nd 2009 that I have PCOS. I had to go to an Endo to get put on Metformin. I have been on Met for 4 years on and off. I have seen people around me have not just one but 2 kids in the time frame that DH and I have been TTC. I recently I decided I need to stop worrying about having kids and think about what my future will be if I don’t put this PCOS on the front burner and not the back burner.

I started eating low carb May 1st and lost 21 pounds. Then I found a lump in my left breast and found out I have a benign tumor that needs to be removed. I was stressed like never before! I was eating everything with carbs and didn't care. I thought I had cancer as that is where my head went. I have read that women with PCOS have a higher chance of getting Breast Cancer than other women. I gained 7.5 pounds in 2 weeks. Then when I found it was Benign I was eating still but not like before.

Then after that week, I said Okay back to business. It has taken me almost 3 weeks to lose the 7.5 pounds but I am less than a pound before hitting it. I have a personal trainer I see once a week, and then she expects my DH and me to come in 3-5 days a week to work out. Lately I have been slacking on doing that!!! I know that I need to do it. I have to take a TTC break till I have my surgery on 09/23, as I can’t get pregnant and have the surgery. So this is my TIME to better myself!

I have a vacation that is planned for NYC and Toronto Canada in October. I have 50 days from today to drop another 12 pounds!! I feel like I can do it! If I lose 12 more pounds I will have a lot of pants I will be able to fit into for Vacation and not waste money on new clothing!!

I am taking 2000mlg of Metformin, I also take Vitex (I used to take it all the time and stopped just started again a week ago).

Something I take to help with losing weight is taking Probiotics, 1billion. I also take Vitamin B super complex with B-12 liquid, and Biotin to help with the thinning of the hair.

My diet…. I am trying to stay under 75 carbs a day; this is good carbs like veggies. I am staying away from ALL whites, and wheat’s. I am trying to keep my sugar intake under 30 which I have been succeeding and this is only natural sugars from fruits and veggies.

I hope to find others that are struggling TTC because of PCOS (even though I wish we weren't as it SUCKS) and is trying to lose weight to DEFEAT PCOS and get pregnant!! Feel free to add me as a friend! We can motivate one another to keep up the great work!

Replies

• vanessa102215
    vanessa102215 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Missa!

First of all Congrats on losing 21lbs!!! thats awesome! I was just diagnosed with PCOS this past month, although I kind of knew I had it since I have every symptom! (I'm addicted to Google so I had self-diagnosed prior to seeing my PCP). Well, I feel like we're in the same boat. I havent been prescribed to any meds yet, I have my next appt with my PCP on 8/27 so I'm sure shes going to put me on metformin. I've been looking for supplements that help with pcos and I stumbled across some info on Inositol (WebMD) I'm going to ask my PCP about it on my next appt but its suppose to help with PCOS and insulin resistance.

I've also decided to go low carb so I hope this also helps control my PCOS symptoms. However, I do need to work on my exercise habits! I usually walk 2 miles 3x's per week and do Zumba and Yoga at home. I'm just usually so busy with work and school that I have zero energy by the time I need to workout, I feel like I lack motivation sometimes. So, I made a bracelet, with the initials of what would my future child's name. I feel like this will help keep me motivated, I'm really excited to stay on track this time. My overall weight loss goal is to lose 130 lbs, but I want to loose at least 50 lbs before I try to get pregnant. I'm new to this forum/ discussion board stuff, but I'm happy to know there are other women with similiar goals.

I want to wish you luck on your surgery and weight loss journey. I will add you as friend and hopefully we can also motivate each other! :)
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hello Vanessa nice to meet you! I am sorry that you got diagnosed with PCOS! I dont with this on anyone!

Way to go with your work outs!! That is awesome! I I understand how it is. Its hard to get the work out in. After work I just want to go home and relax, let alone cook dinner, but I need to work out as well!! Sometimes I am just pure LAZY, that is my reasoning, no excuses.

How is the weight loss so far? Are you finding it easy to lose weight doing the low carb? I am happy you added me!! Thank you for the support with my surgery! I am scared for it!
  • vanessa102215
    vanessa102215 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa! So far I really like low carb. I do allow myself one cheat meal a week, I feel this helps avoid binge eating. The sugar cravings were sooo bad the first 2 weeks but now I dont really crave fast food or sweets anymore. My only craving is soda! especially coke but I'm working on eliminating it complete since its sooo bad :( Aside from going low carb I also eliminated most Dairy products except for a bit of cheese and greek yogurt. This has done wonders for my skin and energy levels. So far I've lost 7lbs since going low carb, and my next weigh in will be at my Dr. appointment next tuesday, so hopefully I see some nice results.
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    I had a cheat DAY yesterday, and I am feeling SICK today! I am hoping that this will help me next time think of NAW I really dont want to do this. I am also having lower stomach and back pain, I am almost wondering if my AF is her way!! Hmmmm I can only dream as it has been a while I am on 119 CD. This is one of the longest I haven't had AF in a while. I usually get one every 90-100 days...or even closer like 65 days!! I think it might be that I am losing weight and my body is trying to get used to that!

I hope you lose more from your last weigh in!!
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    Oh the joys of pcos (sarcasm at its strongest)! My name is Nikki and I was diagnosed about 5 years ago after ttc with no success for 2 years following a mc due to low progesterone. I was on met for about 6 months and could not handle the side effects i had from it. Attempted 3 un monitored cycles of clomid with my gyno... No success. In 2009 i found an amazing RE but was a little taken back by all of the info he gave me and didnt take any steps to do anything. I finally decided in Feb this year to go ahead and see what he suggests! I had a hsg and hysteroscopy done in march and thankfully nothing was found wrong with my tubes or uterus! Only this awful pesky disorder we have unfortuinately been given to deal with.

My cycles are about as crazy as they get. For 6 months ill be like clock work... 30 day cycle and ovulating (most cycles) on cd 17-19. Then ill skip a month or 2 without af and have anovulatory cycles that come whenever theyre ready for about 6 months after. FRUSTRATING!!! I know im lucky to be ovulating at all but with my husbands job (gone 30 days and home 15) he's only home during O (when it happens) a couple times a year. So... We have decided on IVF in march 2014! I want to be as healthy as i possibly can before to increase our chance for success. Since joining myfitnesspal, i have noticed a HUGE change in symptoms ie:hair growing in places it shouldnt on a female, acne, and anovulation. I have been more conscious about what i am putting into my body besides a few days but noticed that cutting out the yucky carbs and sugars has helped all 3 of the previously listed symptoms.

Now that ive bored you guys with all that mess, i am hoping to find others to help keep me motivated and to motivate others on any area of our journey!