Training Advice

Options
taeliesyn
taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
Hi All, I was hoping I could get some advice/constructive criticism on my training program for the tough mudder in about 8 weeks.
Once past the mudder I may continue with it. Unfortunately I don't have access to a gym, nor weights in a normal manner.
Ok so program is
Monday AM
2km walk/jog
Monday PM
3-5 sets of Pullups 4 reps each set until I 'fail' on whatever happens to then be the last set.
3-5 sets of Pushups 10 reps each set until I 'fail' on whatever happens to then be the last set.. Pushups are done on my knuckles due to wrist issues.
4.8km walk/jog

Tuesday AM
2km Walk/Jog
Tuesday PM
4 sets, 5 reps 'dumbell' squats with approx 45-50kg (I'm using water containers)
2 x 40 second sets of Farmers Carry with the same 'Dumbells' which includes down & uphill sections

Wednesday - Same as Monday

Thursday AM
2km Walk/Jog

Friday - Same as Monday

Saturday & Sunday - One day rest, one day may include a few hours of horse riding

I'm not sure if that's reasonably balanced or if I need to add/change anything.
I'm targeting general cardio fitness for the mudder, with plans to increase my PM Run distances and hopefully decrease my AM times (The AM runs are with the dogs, so have to keep to what they can do)

Thanks for your time and any feedback.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I think the workouts you're planning are pretty good, but I would be concerned about your cardiovascular endurance. The Tough Mudder is 18km long and is like a continued cardio workout for over 3 hours once the obstacles are factored in. I would try and extend, at least one day a week, your walk/jog to well over 5km... try and increase over the 8 weeks so that you are moving with HR elevated for closer to 60-90 minutes straight.

Week 1: 5km walk/jog
    Week 2: 6km
    Week 2: 7km
    Week 3: 8
    etc.

By the end of 8 more weeks (-1 since you want to probably avoid this longer effort in the week leading up to the event), you will have at least one day where you traveled 12km in probably around 90 minutes or so.

The obstacles aren't that hard at TM... they're more a mind game than anything else. It's the overall duration of the event I'd be more concerned with.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'm into my second week now and am thinking of adding in a 4th day of cardio stuff, either every week or every second week, with the 4th being an increasing distance, well this week would be an extra 5km. Though it will be off road on hills, then if I do it weekly, next week would be 7.5 etc until I'm about 2 weeks out and that should have me up to covering a full 20km at least once before the Mudder.
    I'm a little hesitant to do much more with my weekly walk/runs as they are also part of the C2 5K program.

I always knew Cardio would be my biggest demon for the Mudder!
  • Stephdornan84
    Stephdornan84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completed my first Tough Mudder a few weeks ago, definately the running would be the best thing you can do!
    I'd also suggest increasing your grip strenght as much as possible for thos Monkey bars, pull ups etc (which you are already doing) will really help you in the monkey bars and the walls etc.

:-)
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
    I'm contemplating adding some rope climb type work in a few weeks, just need to dig the rope out of storage (Not a proper climbing rope, but it will do!)
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just complete a tough mudder in Pittsburgh. It was fun and team building.

The running segment is the hardest part, its 18km (10-12 miles), its like a half marathon. Depending when you start there maybe a back up at the obstacles, there may not be. We went early so we really didnt wait at all which meant more continuous running.

I started running T, TH, Sat 2.5miles, then built up to 4miles until the tough mudder (exception- I ran 6miles on the Saturday two weeks prior, then 9miles the Saturday before the TF). The strength part I did during and immediately after my runs. I would run 1/2mile, do 50 push ups (2-3sets to get 50), run 1/2 mile 25 burpees, run half mile 150 sit up varieties, repeat, repeat until run was over. Then I would do pull ups, squat thrusters immediately after the run.

If you train hard for the funky monkey at the expense of running, you are not going to enjoy the day like those that are in running shape. Be the guy/gal at the end, in the last mile/km who owns Everest on the 1st try and turns around to help everyone else.

Best Tip- Artic enema, take a deep breath jump in as close to the wall as you can, get under and get of before your body reacts.

Clothes- no cotton, not even underwear- trail running shoes with trends

wash cloth/rag to use when cleaning up, bring soap and leave it for the rest that didnt bring it

Have fun
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice martin, the thing I forgot at my first mud run (It was more warrior dash type thing, i think) was the washcloth and soap!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just complete a tough mudder in Pittsburgh. It was fun and team building.

The running segment is the hardest part, its 18km (10-12 miles), its like a half marathon. Depending when you start there maybe a back up at the obstacles, there may not be. We went early so we really didnt wait at all which meant more continuous running.

I started running T, TH, Sat 2.5miles, then built up to 4miles until the tough mudder (exception- I ran 6miles on the Saturday two weeks prior, then 9miles the Saturday before the TF). The strength part I did during and immediately after my runs. I would run 1/2mile, do 50 push ups (2-3sets to get 50), run 1/2 mile 25 burpees, run half mile 150 sit up varieties, repeat, repeat until run was over. Then I would do pull ups, squat thrusters immediately after the run.

If you train hard for the funky monkey at the expense of running, you are not going to enjoy the day like those that are in running shape. Be the guy/gal at the end, in the last mile/km who owns Everest on the 1st try and turns around to help everyone else.

Best Tip- Artic enema, take a deep breath jump in as close to the wall as you can, get under and get of before your body reacts.

Clothes- no cotton, not even underwear- trail running shoes with trends

wash cloth/rag to use when cleaning up, bring soap and leave it for the rest that didnt bring it

Have fun

I ran (limped from spraining my foot 2 days earlier) on Sat @ 12:20 and loved it!!! Funky Monkey was the only obstacle I failed at. Even made it up Everest on the first try. Weren't those trails killer though!?!??!?! And ENDLESS!!!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The trails were the hardest part by far, every step you had to be careful not to wipe out. As slick as it was, when you went down, you went down hard. Ran into several people in the parking lot after, they said it was the hardest run of the 4 tough mudders they have been to, good for you for sucking it up !

I ran (limped from spraining my foot 2 days earlier) on Sat @ 12:20 and loved it!!! Funky Monkey was the only obstacle I failed at. Even made it up Everest on the first try. Weren't those trails killer though!?!??!?! And ENDLESS!!!
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Anything other then completing the race was not an option. I saw at least 2 broken ankles and I heard about a broken nose from people just running blindly up and down that mud. I had hubby (an EMT) with me so I felt confident...plus I had my own personal medical staff on hand.

The trails were the hardest part by far, every step you had to be careful not to wipe out. As slick as it was, when you went down, you went down hard. Ran into several people in the parking lot after, they said it was the hardest run of the 4 tough mudders they have been to, good for you for sucking it up !