Help, long run with w/o pace group

Options
hazymary
hazymary Posts: 190 Member
Saturday is my long run, 14 miles, I've never run this far without being part of paced group run. Any suggestions on how to get this done solo?

Replies

• fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well, keep it easy at the beginning ... low HR and listening to your body.. If you find yourself confident increase your pace and have some fun : )
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Bring some music, have some fun :)

Mentally break up the run in your mind. I like doing out-and-back routes. I know this sounds silly, but when I do this, I think once I've reached my turnaround point that I've "finished" my run and now it's just a matter of getting back to the car. :)

Ridiculous, but it works for me.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use the Endomondo phone app and I have it set to tell me the pace and total at each mile. On my long runs (8-12 miles; I am training for a half) I am often surprised at the first one but generally on pace by 2 or 3.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I envy you, I'ver never run WITH a group! Honestly, if you're doing a long run and not a pace or tempo run, then just running by feel should be enough. The purpose of the long run is to increase your distance/endurance, not to hit a specific pace. Leave that for other types of runs. Most importantly, enjoy yourself!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try music or "running podcasts" to bring with you. I'm finding these running podcasts really help get your mind in the "running groove" that so many of us seek. Try TrailRunnerNation (longer podcasts-90 min I think) or RunRunLive (shorter-about 30 min) Take your time, have fun, & enjoy it. I run alone almost all the time, would love to run with a group but need the personal reflection time that distance running provides. Listened to RunRunLive this morning while running-that's one of my new favorites. Good luck.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Mentally break up the run in your mind. I like doing out-and-back routes. I know this sounds silly, but when I do this, I think once I've reached my turnaround point that I've "finished" my run and now it's just a matter of getting back to the car. :)

This is me too. So, a 14 mile run is really only mentally a 7 mile run for me. It does sound crazy, but that's how it feels. The vast majority of running is solo for me, so I just go by feel. Take it easy at the beginning, see if you can crank it up in the second half. You've got this! For whatever reason, when my training runs start to get longer than a half marathon, my brain is tormented all week mulling it over - BUT when it comes down to it, actually running those long distances is easier than thinking about it!
  • hazymary
    Options
    I don't know why I let my brain torment me..I replay the run over and over, with me quitting mid run. I've never run with music, I've always thought it to be safer if I'm alert to my surroundings. Thanks for all the advice.
  • 55in13
    Options
    I don't know why I let my brain torment me..I replay the run over and over, with me quitting mid run. I've never run with music, I've always thought it to be safer if I'm alert to my surroundings. Thanks for all the advice.
    I completely agree. As a runner, I think I am more alert than most people to runners, pedestrians and cyclists while driving. I have seen some close calls with ear buds or head phones involved and definitely a factor. I won't use them. To be fair, it is usually the car that would have been in the wrong, but I like to hear. I run on some multi use trails where a cyclist may be calling out to tell me I am about to be passed also. When I use the feature that announces the pace at each mile, I just let it play over the speaker. Sometimes I can't hear it over traffic. That's life. I like life and try not to risk mine too much...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. As a runner, I think I am more alert than most people to runners, pedestrians and cyclists while driving. I have seen some close calls with ear buds or head phones involved and definitely a factor. I won't use them. To be fair, it is usually the car that would have been in the wrong, but I like to hear. I run on some multi use trails where a cyclist may be calling out to tell me I am about to be passed also. When I use the feature that announces the pace at each mile, I just let it play over the speaker. Sometimes I can't hear it over traffic. That's life. I like life and try not to risk mine too much...

I agree, but I don't usually play my music louder than what I can hear my footfalls against. During races if I decide to wear headphones, I usually leave one out. You just can't have your music BLASTING like I've seen some runners do, where I can still hear it ten paces behind you.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I like the out and back too. Same reasons, it's easier mentally.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I like the out and back too. Same reasons, it's easier mentally.

agreed. and congrats to getting this far! =)
  • 55in13
    Options
    My favorite routes are out and back where I can take a different specific route in each direction (though they generally end up sharing at least some common paths or roads) but are roughly the same distance. Since I usually know what mile I am on (the phone app announces each mile over the speaker), if I decided ahead of time how far I am running then I know when I am half way. Sometimes my roues are somewhat haphazard mish mashes of lots of nearby routes. I run in about 5 nearby neighborhoods and they almost all have a main road or circle that I know adds a given amount, so I will duck into one after another until the miles are about right and head home.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I envy you, I'ver never run WITH a group! Honestly, if you're doing a long run and not a pace or tempo run, then just running by feel should be enough. The purpose of the long run is to increase your distance/endurance, not to hit a specific pace. Leave that for other types of runs. Most importantly, enjoy yourself!
    ^^^ this . I run with others when I want to go somewhere new or add mileage. I use my Garmin to track pace after the run and ill look at it every now and then during the long run to see how fast (or slow) im going out of curiosity but go by effort only.
    Have a great run!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Saturday is my long run, 14 miles, I've never run this far without being part of paced group run. Any suggestions on how to get this done solo?

It can seem daunting, Mary..but these 'long runs' are the most important of all in really building endurance.

As others have said, bring music...don't be afraid to take walk breaks and use a garmin etc to pace yourself...but the idea of these runs is really to keep you on your feet.

I have a'long run' tomorrow and dreading it..

I have never ever ran with anyone except on my half marathon last sunday.
  • Pitoufo
    Pitoufo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do most long runs alone. I prefer without music for security reason. I tried for the last 2 to listen to an audio book and liked it.

After having done the training for 2 half and preparing for a third one in October, I realize that I actually love these long runs. My preference is to run on a trail by the river and enjoy the fresh and crisp morning. The weather is getting cooler now so we will be able to enjoy it better.

As for the pace, I keep it slow enough that I can breath through my nose. Obviously, after all that running, my pace is faster at the same intensity. I enjoy that measure of progress instead of pushing on these runs.

Looking forward to running 16 km tomorrow morning. Have a nice run!
  • 55in13
    Options
    I do most long runs alone. I prefer without music for security reason. I tried for the last 2 to listen to an audio book and liked it.

After having done the training for 2 half and preparing for a third one in October, I realize that I actually love these long runs. My preference is to run on a trail by the river and enjoy the fresh and crisp morning. The weather is getting cooler now so we will be able to enjoy it better.

As for the pace, I keep it slow enough that I can breath through my nose. Obviously, after all that running, my pace is faster at the same intensity. I enjoy that measure of progress instead of pushing on these runs.

Looking forward to running 16 km tomorrow morning. Have a nice run!
    Kind of a tangent, but I always breathe through my nose also. I don't think it limits my intensity on a long run. There is also a hydration benefit - I can run 10 miles with no water and still be able to spit at the end (not that I do; just that my mouth is not dry).
  • hazymary
    Options
    Woot woot !!! Thanks to everyone for your advice and support...14.1 miles in 122 minutes !! I took music along on low...over all a great run until the near miss with a unleashed dog..WTF!! Why can't people keep their pooches on a chain or leash!! Better yet behind a tall fence. Did another 6 miles today as my recovery run!