My story

Options
Hi!

I'm 25, was a size 10 when I left school. Stayed in London for almost 3 years, where I was a Vegan for half of the time(because of how they treat the animals). Gained 30 kg's while eating well balanced meals. Came to visit parents in South Africa and went to see a doctor. I started with thyroid medication because I was diagnosed with a Under active Thyroid (hypothyroidism). Started with UK Weight Watchers and lost 30kg's in 8 months!! Felt amazing!! Anyway, I came back to South Africa and socialized more than I was suppose to! Stopped being a vegan, although I really do make sure I know what I'm putting into my mouth. 5 years later, gained 50kg since school. Went to doctor, he prescribed a higher dose of Thyroid medicine and found out I'm insulin resistant. Struggled and then my Gynecologist prescribed yet a higher dose of that medication and now I'm actually starting to lose weight when I eat right and exercise. I studied nutrition and try to stay on the right path. Not always that easy but definitely motivated now!!!

Replies

• rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and started taking medicine for it yesterday.
  • zackery2011
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. It has been hard for me to lose weight, however I am good at maintaining because I am never hungry so I never gain. Yet I had a baby and then got the depo shot- ended up gaining 80lbs in 2 years due to this. I am not insulin resistant, but may be in the future because my mother has type 1 diabetes.
  • Hi! I have metabolic syndrome, which includes diabetes and no thyroid - I'm also on medication. I have been using Yoga and strict attention to diet to battle my disease. This condition is genetic.
  • Bahbz
    Bahbz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello...I too have metabolic syndrome, which includes diabetes and half thyroid (removed August 2011) I'm on medication but just can't seem to lose the weight. Just this morning I jump on scale and just two minutes later I jump on it again without doing anything and it's two pounds heavier. Really? This is my life and I work so hard eating right and working out everyday. Hoping MFP will help and it has in showing me how many calories I've been eating daily, but still really no weight loss yet.
  • channers7
    channers7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started taking my thyroid medication 45minutes before I eat something and it really helps with me loosing weight!! Maybe you guys can try it and let me know! I saw a difference in about 5 days!!!
  • MrsSIslam
    Options
    Dear I am suffering frm hypothyroidism frm 2009!Gained 40 kg weight wid numerous others hypo related prob.I can tolerate my brittle nail,my low bp,my fatigue,my insomonia,IBS,my pre diaabetic range blood test repot etc bt wht I can't toplerate is tht I am morbidly obese n feel ugly now...I am taking eltroxin 100 mg daily.don knw whether I can make any change or not...
  • channers7
    Options
    I was on Eltroxin and is now on Euthyrox! The Eltroxin didn't help with anything!! I know exactly how you feel!!
  • westdelrio
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant, no diabetes yet! Of course, without diabetes insurance won't cover nutritional counseling.. they all want to wait until you're much sicker. A sick system! I'm on Victoza and Metformin. Worked wonderfully for the first 2 months, then due to injuries was unable to exercise and boom, the weight came back. What medications is everyone on and are they working?
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I found this helpful. Its from a pamphlet I found at my doctors office. Might shed so light for others.

Your thyroid regulates your metabolism, producing hormones that influence almost every aspect of how your body performs: how fast or slow you burn calories, when or whether you build proteins or store energy as fat, and how your body responds to other hormones. Not surprisingly, disorders of the thyroid can cause problems for your metabolism. An under active thyroid ("hypothyroidism") produces fewer-than-normal thyroid hormones, causing a slower metabolism, and, consequently often causes weight gain. An overactive thyroid ("hyperthyroidism"), on the other hand, can cause the metabolism to speed up, often resulting in weight loss.
  • Bebubble
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant, no diabetes yet! Of course, without diabetes insurance won't cover nutritional counseling.. they all want to wait until you're much sicker. A sick system! I'm on Victoza and Metformin. Worked wonderfully for the first 2 months, then due to injuries was unable to exercise and boom, the weight came back. What medications is everyone on and are they working?

It sounds like you are diabetic. These medicines you say you are taking are for that very thing. Not for loosing weight. Not for pre diabetes.
    Victoza: Treats type 2 diabetes. Used together with a proper diet and exercise to help control your blood sugar. http://www.victoza.com/
    Metformin: Used with diet and exercise to control blood sugar in patients with type 2 diabetes. May be used alone or with other medicines.
    Furthermore you say you are insulin resistant. Here is the definition of that.
    Insulin resistance (IR) is a physiological condition in which cells fail to respond to the normal actions of the hormone insulin. The body produces insulin, but the cells in the body become resistant to insulin and are unable to use it as effectively, leading to hyperglycemia. Beta cells in the pancreas subsequently increase their production of insulin, further contributing to hyperinsulinemia. This often remains undetected and can contribute to a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.
    I would check again with a doctor to see if you truly are NOT diabetic yet. It sounds to as if you are. Its hard coming to grips with this awful disease Not only do you feel you have failed. So does society.
  • westdelrio
    Options
    I've been tested repeatedly for Diabetes... don't have it yet thank heavens. Need to lose the weight for surgery and better health though. And Victoza combined with Metformin do work together to promote weight loss in women with IR and PCOS. Docs aren't sure why, but my Endo sees tons of success with his patients. It's common for medications to be used for purposes other than their original intent. Victoza is ideal for Diabetes, but it works like a charm to take weight off for IR gals who follow all the rules and don't lose the weight.
  • Bebubble
    Options
    I just started taking my thyroid medication 45minutes before I eat something and it really helps with me loosing weight!! Maybe you guys can try it and let me know! I saw a difference in about 5 days!!!

That's odd you just started doing that. As most medicines for the thyroid say to do that. Not to lose weight, but to only ingest that first thing in the am and nothing else for 30 -45 minutes.For it to work correctly!
    Good for you discovering that!
  • channers7
    Options
    you are doing great!!