Pre Surgery Fast

Options
First day of the pre-surgery fast. Does the fast get any easier as time goes by?
Bad hunger pains. Wish that jello would set up faster!
Surgery is Tues. 9/17

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. The first few days are the worst. Even the dog hid from me. I was NOT a pleasant person to be around those first three or four days. I see you have one week to surgery. I had the liquid diet (fast) for 3 weeks, but it still went pretty quickly.

Hang in there. Keep the goal in mind!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Oh congrats!! Try to stay focused on the reasoning behind the fast. Drink lots of water and chicken broth.

I do feel for you though... I only had to fast for 24 hours.

Good luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • spooky228
    Options
    Thanks! Growling tummy and headache. I apologized to my husband in advance.
    This is going to be a long week.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The week will go by fast. Spend the time researching, reading and preparing your kitchen for the changes ahead. Even start working on some physical activity. Its never to early to start on a good habit.
    Best wishes on your surgery next week in case I don't get an opportunity to say so as the day approaches. I had my sleeve done 7/1/13 and don't regret it one moment,
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I found the broth helped a LOT that week..i think I drank a few cups a day...lots and lots of water....and I made the jello the night before so I had it..... you will be amazed after surgery HOW different it will be... ;) it took me an hour to get down 1/2 a cup total of my pureed dinner. ( Surgery was 8/29, just started puree on Tuesday night).... you can do it!!!!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    It does get easier. Just drink lots of fluids and try to stay busy so you keep your mind off of food. My fast was a week also but I was only allowed zero calorie, clear fluids. No jello even. I could have SF popsicles though but even my broth was limited to once a day due to sodium content.
    Good luck! You can do this and the reward will make it all worthwhile. :wink:
  • Slenderella923
    Slenderella923 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough vitamins!! B12 is a huge one for energy when you're on such low calories. I'm on day 13 of my protein/salad pre-op diet. Hang in there!!
  • spooky228
    Options
    Today is day 4, 3 more to go. It was easier today. The only trouble I had today were leg cramps. One of my bp
    meds has a diuretic in it and I take it twice a day. Dr. said he would need to change it after surgery.
    First day a migraine headache, second day the runs. I am lactose intolerant and was using Lactaid 1% in my shakes,
    I switched to Silk Soy milk & it made a big difference. Have lost 4 pounds on the fast. Lost 19 before I started.
    Going to try to go down to grandsons birthday party tomorrow. I will take my shakey cup with :yawn:
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Today is day 4, 3 more to go. It was easier today. The only trouble I had today were leg cramps. One of my bp
    meds has a diuretic in it and I take it twice a day. Dr. said he would need to change it after surgery.
    First day a migraine headache, second day the runs. I am lactose intolerant and was using Lactaid 1% in my shakes,
    I switched to Silk Soy milk & it made a big difference. Have lost 4 pounds on the fast. Lost 19 before I started.
    Going to try to go down to grandsons birthday party tomorrow. I will take my shakey cup with :yawn:

Thinking of you as your surgery day approaches, The fast is almost done, and is the hardest part. You will be thrilled with the next steps of your journey. Best wishes.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and was using Lactaid 1% in my shakes, I switched to Silk Soy milk & it made a big difference.

I am allergic to dairy and use Almond milk instead. Also, the majority of protein shakes have whey (which is dairy) in them. I ordered a bunch of dairy free (soy and albumin). The albumin is egg-based and has good protein in it. My favorite is the chocolate version of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.

Best wishes - my sleeve was 6/10/13 and it feels like a miracle.
  • spooky228
    Options
    Thank you everyone for support and ideas. Tomorrow is the big day! A bit anxious, but I need to do this.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Best of luck tomorrow! Please come back soon and tell us how you're doing.
  • smilesnangels
    Options
    I go for my first appointment on Nov. 18. I have heard alot about the sleeve and have been doing alot of research. I see some have done the liquid diet. A friend of mine had the sleeve and did not fast/liquid at all up to the day prior to. Does anyone know what determines whether one will have to do the liquid thing before or not?
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what determines whether one will have to do the liquid thing before or not?

It all depends on your health plan/surgeon. I went through Kaiser and was on "full liquids" (soups, shakes, etc) 2 days before surgery and then on "clear liquids" (water, broth, jello) just 24 hours before. I have heard of people being on liquids for 4 weeks before surgery though. Just ask your health plan what their schedule is and you will know! All plans are different. I had my surgery 8/28 and just saw above that someone who had surgery the same day just started pureed foods. I have been on solid food for 3 weeks already. Every health plan is different!
  • smilesnangels
    Options
    Thanks Jillian,
    I am just so pumped and excited to get this underway! I cant hardly wait til my appointment to get ALL the details. I am hoping they can do this before the end of the year due to ins. deductible and co-pays. They said they checked with my insurance and it is covered as I have sleep apnea and high cholesterol, and borderline diabetic. I am kinda concerned about it being done so close to all the "eating" holidays coming up though. lol.. But I WILL sacrifice all that food for a healthier me and next year be able to ENJOY being around people and controlling what I eat and not be self conscious!
  • smilesnangels
    Options
    How long did it take from first visit to surgery?
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

This usually falls more into requirements for you insurance than anything else. My insurance provider required that I spend at least 3 months losing a minimum of 25 lbs before they would OK the surgery, I've heard of others requiring 6 months. Because of other issues, it was over 5 months before I had my surgery from first visit.

Your surgeon's office will have all of this information, but temper your desire for it to be done in the next 8 weeks with the knowledge that it will probably be longer than that. Your insurance company, if not the surgeon, will want you to meet with Nutritionists and someone with a psych background to help you learn how to use this tool. It is just a tool, and will still take work on your part to make it work to it's fullest. That being said, I know I wouldn't have lost this much since last Thanksgiving without being on the pre-surgical diet and especially the surgery itself.

Best of luck to you.
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options

For me, through Kaiser, I had my first appointment June 6 and my surgery Aug 28th. I had to lose 17 lbs before surgery and take numerous classes. Again, it really depends on your insurance plan. Good luck! It is always scarier to think about giving things up before surgery. I was panicked about not being able to do "holiday food" this year. Now that I have had my surgery? Not such a big deal at all. I can have anything I want...just like only a bite of it. lol