Results of HRM vs MFP burned caloires

Options
Hi Everyone: As promised I wanted to give you an update on how my heart rate monitor is going.

First off I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT... :love: Seriously if you can afford the investment, an HRM is a great way to keep you tracking honestly w/burned calories ...

Ok so, here is one example of the differences.

Zumba for 63 minutes.
MFP data base calculates me at 897 calories burned
HRM calculated me today at 508 calories burned...

THAT'S A HUGE 389 CALORIE DIFFERENCE.

I've noticed in step too the calories are way off.
When I'm on a treadmill, or elliptical the caloric difference is anywhere between 100 and 150.

And, I work out during work for 30 minutes 5 days a week and I go to a class on the weekends.
But a difference between 100 and 150 calories 5 days a week adds up (here's some yukky math to show you)

At 100 calorie difference is = 500 extra calories a week or 2,00 extra calories a month I might over eat.
At 150 calorie difference is = 750 extra calories a week or 3,000 extra calories a month I might over eat.

:sad:

I like that MFP is set up to allow eating back calories, but if I'm calculating them wrong, my healthy journey is end up either staying still, not progressing, or I end up frustrated and give up. :grumble:

And, I am not going to accept STAYING STILL, NOT PROGRESSING OR GETTING FRUSTRATED AND GIVE UP lol :noway:

I hope this helps ya'll...

I bouth the Polar FT4 (from the advice of one of my MFP friends. And, I very grateful for that advice (and for our little group too).

:wink:

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

I've noticed the same thing with regards to calories the gym treadmill says I burn and what MFP says I burn. I either adjust the time on MFP so the calories at least come close, or just input it and don't eat the calories back (which I generally can't do anyway.)

So, is this a wrist only device, or is it bodyband monitor with wrist display or something even more technologically cool?
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Alot of times I would just take a percentage of calories to ... like 20%.

I wish it were something cool, like a chip in my sneaker.

It's both. The bodyband monitor sends the results to the wrist device. But, you don't have to wear the wrist device when you are working out, you have to start the monitor and stop from the writst device.

:happy:
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I usually expect the estimated calories burned to be way higher than they actually are... But I never thought it'd be that big of a discrepancy!

You can change the calories burned, though, to reflect what your HRM says, so that it reflects correctly in your journal if you'd like.
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Your research confirms what I have been thinking since about day three...

So yeah...my burns have been estimates based mostly on Spider Sense and blind luck.

Fortunately, I tend not to eat back my exercise calories...(then again...I do a lot of equivalencies and estimates for my food logging too).

Once again, it is my contention and belief that is not the accuracy of the logging, but the consistency.

I remain confident that even if my numbers are not perfect, they are regular enough, and consistent enough to help me stay on track--and THAT is what the tools are for. They are not a replacement for Big Science and clinical measures--they are a free guestimation tool--but as Mike will tell you--you plot enough well educated guesses on a graph and you will see the real trends.

You Zumba folks in particular...DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED--just because your numbers are smaller than the database says, does not mean you are not going good work!

IT ALL COUNTS!
  • echelonokie
    Options
    Any idea how a HRM compares to a Fitbit?
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Any idea how a HRM compares to a Fitbit?

Hmmmm good question...I'm not sure -- I haven't experienced a Fitbit yet...though I've seen a lot of MFP users using Fitbit. I'll try and get some info