No Ab Work? Is My Plan Counterproductive?

Options
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the previous strings ...
I've been doing SL consistently for a month now and I'm curious, can this simple program really help flatten the belly too? I'm not seeing any drastic changes (I realize it's only been a month) and I'm afraid to waste even a day during my weight loss/get fit journey (blame the OCD ... lol). Particularly, I don't notice any body fat "melting" away.

I do my SL 3 days a week (typically MWF) and cardio on the other 3 days and give myself 1 day's rest each week. On my SL program, I've been reasonably able to increase my weight according to the program (although I had to start with lighter weights than the bar for some things since I'm very cautious about my back, which is extremely susceptible to injury -- I've been sidelined for the last year as a result of an over-ambitious personal trainer). For my cardio, I am trying to increase my "jogging" distance so my workout currently looks like this: walk at 3.5 mph no incline for 0.25 mile, jog at 4.0 no incline for 0.6 mile, then walk 3.5 varying incline from 0.5 to 4.0 for the remainder of my workout until I reach a total of 2 miles or 200 calories (whichever I have time for). I increase my jogging distance by 10% each week. I try to stay just under my calorie goal for the day, eating some of my exercise calories earned, and I am consistent about eating protein with each meal/snack.

So, I'm looking for some input from other SL women ... Will the belly flatten without ab-specific exercises? Isn't the cardio necessary to burn fat? Or, is the cardio somehow sabotaging my SL program?

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a generally good exercise and eating routine. However, Stronglifts, nor any other exercise can't spot reduce belly fat. Fat loss happens with a calorie defecit, whether you're exercising or not. When the fat comes off, your nice solid core from doing SL will be revealed! The compound lifts in SL require a lot of core strength. There is another thread in here "the crazy core lady's crazy core exercises" or something like that that JStout posted with a whole bunch of ab routines if you want to add onto that. But again, they won't reduce belly fat on their own, only strengthen the muscles underneath.

I know there are a lot of dramatic before and after lifting success stories around, and they are what motivates me and a lot of people to keep going. But those didn't happen in a month. Or two months or six months; most of them are a slow and steady progression over a longer time. Check out the Progress Photos sticky thread near the top here. There are several people that have posted 1 and 2 month photos. The differences may be subtle, but they are there, and most of them are still posting regularly.

As far as combining SL and cardio, see how you feel as you progress in both. During the second month of SL, the weights started getting super heavy and I didn't have as much energy to do other cardio, even though I had planned on it. If you like running, you may want to focus on that more and not worry about progressing as quickly on the weights. You have to find the balance that works for you.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to spot reduce ... I'd like to see the fat melt off from everywhere. I was only questioning the lack of ab-specific work in SL. It just seemed odd compared to other exercise programs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because compound lifts take care of the ab work.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to spot reduce ... I'd like to see the fat melt off from everywhere. I was only questioning the lack of ab-specific work in SL. It just seemed odd compared to other exercise programs.

Nobody squats 2 x body weight with weak abs.

If you want to "see the fat melt off from everywhere", eat below maintenance.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Can I ask .. Do you think eating below maintenance includes calories burned with exercise .... Meaning if I want to eat 200 less a day which would be 1400 less a week that 1400 could include 700-800 I burn with running/HIIT workouts ..??? Or should I eat 1400 and the exercise cals are a bonus .? I don't think they are but need it clarifying x
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Can I ask .. Do you think eating below maintenance includes calories burned with exercise .... Meaning if I want to eat 200 less a day which would be 1400 less a week that 1400 could include 700-800 I burn with running/HIIT workouts ..??? Or should I eat 1400 and the exercise cals are a bonus .? I don't think they are but need it clarifying x

This should explain how maintenance and exercise works.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

QFT.....check out the road map for sure.

As for the OP and core work, SL does hit the core. When done with proper form, the core is a key element in each lift. I'm all for extra core work, but that's because I enjoy core work and see it as the foundation of most activities. There is nothing to say "Don't do extra core work" so feel free to add a little in at the end of the work out if you like, but it isn't necessary.
  • bumblebums
    Options

QFT.....check out the road map for sure.

As for the OP and core work, SL does hit the core. When done with proper form, the core is a key element in each lift. I'm all for extra core work, but that's because I enjoy core work and see it as the foundation of most activities. There is nothing to say "Don't do extra core work" so feel free to add a little in at the end of the work out if you like, but it isn't necessary.

Exactly. Your abdominal muscles' and spinal erectors' primary day-to-day job is to work isometrically. That is, they hold your trunk erect and protect your spine. So they get plenty of stimulation from doing isometric work during squats, presses, and deadlifts. You can do crunches and sit-ups as assistance work if you really enjoy them, of course. I hate them--always have--and you can't make me.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to stick with my current program for another six weeks at least, then take measurements again to get proof of the results. I don't trust that scale! Lol. :tongue: