I have no control over my diabetes!!!

Options
I seem to have lost all control over my disease. For 3 days in a row I'm getting low in the afternoon. So I decrease Levirmir am dose by one unit each day. Went from 6 units to 3 units cuz i still kept getting low. NOW, Im ****ing high every afternoon so NOW im gonna have to up the Levimir am dose and prob go back to 6 units and then repeat this fuct cycle all over again. So today im having to skip my afternoon snack so I don't go higher and im hungry, so hungry. Cant wait for supper time so i can eat and take insulin again. *BIG HUGE SIGH!!!!!!!!!*

What do other diabetics do in my situation?

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    increase by 2 units until u are normal. That is how they worked it with me.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm not familiar with levimir, I was on NPH and Novolog. Do you take any short acting insulin? I'm on the pump, so it's a matter of adjusting whatever basal is two hours before the low.

My insulin needs dropped a lot since I've been on my journey. I was having a lot of lows. But, then, my sugars go crazy about a week before my period. So, I take more during that time, then it drops down again once I start.

There are no easy answers. What works today, may not work tomorrow. You know how it goes. I would go a couple of days on each change, If your activity level has changed, so will your insulin requirements. It's frustrating, I know. Even on the pump, I've been on a roller coaster these past few weeks. I'm blaming it on my daughter's wedding and the crazy stress. The wedding is tomorrow, so, hopefully, after this weekend, I can get back to normal.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I take Humalog for short acting. So are you saying adjust the humalog 2 hours before the low??? I never use the terms bolus and balus or whatever.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I seem to have lost all control over my disease. For 3 days in a row I'm getting low in the afternoon. So I decrease Levirmir am dose by one unit each day. Went from 6 units to 3 units cuz i still kept getting low. NOW, Im ****ing high every afternoon so NOW im gonna have to up the Levimir am dose and prob go back to 6 units and then repeat this fuct cycle all over again. So today im having to skip my afternoon snack so I don't go higher and im hungry, so hungry. Cant wait for supper time so i can eat and take insulin again. *BIG HUGE SIGH!!!!!!!!!*

Hello. I'm curious, what are you eating? Has your food dairy changed in the past week or so? How much of what you're eating are the higher carb foods such as wheat, grains, and simple sugars?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Hello. I'm curious, what are you eating? Has your food dairy changed in the past week or so? How much of what you're eating are the higher carb foods such as wheat, grains, and simple sugars?

usually pretty good with those expect for today!!! I indulged in carrot cake with frosting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I take Humalog for short acting. So are you saying adjust the humalog 2 hours before the low??? I never use the terms bolus and balus or whatever.

u are not on the pump so u can't bolus.....
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book "Think like a Pancreas" It shows you how to do basal checks so you can see where your basal dose should be. then you can work on getting your bolus dose set correctly. Are you doing sliding scale or do you have an I:C ratio? Getting on to an Insulin to Carb ratio will let you cover what you're actually eating with your Humolog rather than chasing after your numbers.
    Once you get both done you should be able to skip meals without worrying about going too low.
    Another good book to read is "Using Insulin"

The more you know the better you can keep things under control - until life happens and then you start over again!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Have you read the book "Think like a Pancreas" It shows you how to do basal checks so you can see where your basal dose should be. then you can work on getting your bolus dose set correctly. Are you doing sliding scale or do you have an I:C ratio? Getting on to an Insulin to Carb ratio will let you cover what you're actually eating with your Humolog rather than chasing after your numbers.
    Once you get both done you should be able to skip meals without worrying about going too low.
    Another good book to read is "Using Insulin"

The more you know the better you can keep things under control - until life happens and then you start over again!

I pretty much just use a 1:10 ratio for each meal. Breaky is more like 1:7. I think.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Have you worked out your basal rate problem yet? Reading either "Think like a pancreaa" or "Using insulin" will show you how.
    Knowing how will let you make changes as your needs change. The more info you can show your clinical team the tighter your control can be and the lower your your risk for long-term complications.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I've been out of touch for a while. My daughter got married last weekend, and it's been rather crazy!
    I use the term bolus, which is a insulin pump term. But, it really just means the amount of short acting insulin you would use to cover your meals. If you eat lunch at 12:00, and take short acting insulin to cover that mean, that's a bolus. So, if, you're running low two hours after taking that insulin, it could be you took too much. If, though, you're running low late afternoon, it actually could be your morning dose of long acting insulin.

This is all why I got on the pump. If I run low. It's, either I took too much to cover a meal, or my "basal" is too high for that time period. Either way, I go back two hours and see what I have my pump set up at. Since I started my weight loss journey, my basals have gone down. I would have lows in the night, which have nothing to do with what I did at meals.

May I add..........I hate this disease!:(
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Going to see the Diabetes Nurses this week to figure it out!
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Barbara, I'm glad you're going to see the Diabetes Nurse. While I see great advice here, It's hard for us to give you the best advice without complete details. You can tell the nurse what's happening and then she can ask more questions to help her see what's going on. Even with the best advice available, this stupid disease is just that, stupid, it will do whatever it wants, when it wants, and most of the time, with no explanation and to why. I hope the nurse will be able to help you and give you some ideas to help with the ups and downs. Please keep us posted on how things are going!

Terrie
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Change the dose then wait 3-4 days before changing it again. That's how long it takes for you to see any change in insulin dose changes. If you change it daily then you will exactly what you are seeing now.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Have you worked out your basal rate problem yet? Reading either "Think like a pancreaa" or "Using insulin" will show you how.
    Knowing how will let you make changes as your needs change. The more info you can show your clinical team the tighter your control can be and the lower your your risk for long-term complications.

The OP is not on an insulin pump so basal rates don't apply to her. Nor does skipping a meal.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I've been in contact with a nurse for the past week and a half. We are almost there. This is the third time changing doses. I start tomorrow. 3rd time a charm i hope!!!