so who's a dser then ?

Options
i am just wondered who else was out there ?

Replies

• charlami
    Options
    Hi Gwen,

I didn't see anyone respond do you so I will. I am a DSer. I had my surgery October 2001. I was 515 and I lost down to 300. Over the last 2 years my weight has been creeping back on. In July I had a revision to my stomach (basically a sleeve procedure) and now I am losing weight again. My stomach had stretched from over eating because I was compensating for acid reflux.

I have had a ton of complications with this surgery revision including infections, pulmonary embolism and gastric strictures (very tight scar tissue on my stomach). I am on the mend now and know that things are getting better with me daily.

Feel free to friend me if you like.

Char
  • Elite1979
    Elite1979 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started my DS journey at 386 pounds with a 60 inch waist, and I was only gaining. On May 7th, 2009 I had my DS performed. By July 4th of the same year I had lost 75 pounds. My total overall weigh loss was 130 pounds. I have since gained 30 pounds back, and gone back up to a 46/48 waist.

Some friends of mine, that had the RNYn introduced me to this lovely app. I GOT IT. I am going from 283 to 220. Who is with me on the journey?
  • CSerwalt
    CSerwalt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a DSer. I had my RNY back in Aug of 2009, complications, ulcers, and just plain old overeating stretched my pouch big time, never lost all the weight didnt even get under 200lbs. Then started gaining back fast. Had a revision to a DS on 11/28/2012 started at 286 down to 241.. stalled weight loss right now at 2 months post op so figured id track what i am eating and doing using this app.
  • stromgardgirl
    Options
    I was a revision to ds. I'm almost a year out and almost down 60#. I'm sad a frustrated I haven't lost more. I think my body hates me.
  • GwenLeeds
    GwenLeeds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi, i never saw these replies so apols..
    i'm in leeds, england.. had my ds in 2004 at 401lb, got down to around 300lb, so had tum made smaller (the second tum size is now my surgeons standard size).. got down to 234lb.. then had 2 pregnancies and depression = weight gain, went up to 350lb !! then lost 56lb of regain with the help of slimming world.. am hoping to continue losing.. currently 288lb at 5ft 7..
    torn as to what plan to follow .. Slimming World concentrating on protein first.. not sure about fruit ? .. or Protein, Low fat, low carb or Protein, high fat, low carb ??
    so this week i'm going to try and go for protein first and just try and avoid obvious naughties like simple carbs.. didn't do great yesterday, but doing better today.
    Gwen x
  • r1100ron
    r1100ron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My DS surgery was performed on 7/11/2011. My pre-op weight was 327 and I now weigh around 205. I would like to eventually get down closer to 180.

So far no complications, but I have been a bit lax about protein and supplementation lately. I know if I don't turn that around quickly it will catch up with me big time. So I'm going to start using MFP again to help manage my health.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am hopefully receiving the surgery soon. I am trying to learn as much as I can about post-op experiences as possible. For those who had trouble with relapse ... can you say that the surgery failed you in that? Or were you "pushing the pouch" too much and it got out of control incrementally? Just wondering your advice for "if I had to do it all over again, I would (or would not)" ... what?
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    turns out i'm not a candidate for this ... but looking into the standalone VSG sleeve now ...
  • LissieV
    LissieV Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm new to the boards although I've been using MFP since my Band-to-DS revision in Sept 2012. I had a ton of damage from the band that required extensive repair. Due to these complications my surgery couldn't be "typical". I was told I'd likely be a slower loser compared to others because of my modified tummy shape/size. I'm so thankful my surgeon was skilled enough to handle this revision. RIP Dr. Stewart.

I was incredibly strict with diet and exercise in the first 7 months and I lost about 110 lbs. Then I relapsed in terms of staying under 50g carbs and exercising. I stalled for several months and I'm now getting back on track. I still have 30 lbs remaining to hit the top end of the normal BMI spectrum. I follow the typical DS diet (high protein, high fat, low carb). It has served me well from the beginning. I'm far from perfect but I'm trying.

I'm looking for support and accountability from people who are dedicated and motivated to lose weight. I'm almost a year out so it's an even bigger struggle than it was before. I would like friends who are very focused and ready to push each other to reach our goals.

Anyways, if you are interested in having a buddy for accountability and support feel free to friend me. I want to stay on track, even if it means peer pressure, lol.

Lissie
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    DSer here. Started at 292, and am down to 150-152ish. I live in Minnesota.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    DSer here! I had surgery with Dr. David Greenbaum in New Jersey in June 2010.

I'm here working on pushing back a 6 lbs regain/bounce from my ideal weight.

How's everyone doing?
  • stricki2
    Options
    I had the DS on September 5 2013 and I am looking for support while I embark on this journey. I had my surgery in Orlando Florida and my surgeon's name is Dr. Jawad. Everything went great as far as the surgery goes but I'm having a hard time getting protein and liquids in.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Stricki2! Your tummy is still very new, so don't worry about getting enough protein right now. Just continue to sip, sip, sip on fluids, preferably sugar free. Walk if you can for at least 30 minutes a day. Your body is still healing.

The guideline that many DSers go by is to try to be able to get in 30g of protein per day by the end of your first month; then 60g per day by the end of your 2nd month; then 90g per day by the end of your third month after surgery. Before then, your body still has lots of reserves, and your tummy needs time to heal.

Let us know if we can help you along the way. As they say, welcome to the Dark Side! :laugh:

Nikki
  • sunshinekaye
    sunshinekaye Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am new here and I quality as a DS person now. I had an RNY revision from 2003 to what is called an ERNY and now have the guts of a DS'er. Looking forward to connecting and learning lots.
  • Tonya_me
    Tonya_me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Is this group still active?

I had my DS at the beginning of 2011. I lost a little over 100 lbs from 298 to a steady low of 183. I've regained to 225 but am doing LCHF (just started) to lose weight again. So far I think it's just water wt coming off, but I'm down to 117.4 lbs as of this morning.