Singing & Going flat!?

Options
Hi, everyone. I started exercising again today. I am working on building my nerve to do a solo song at church (I usually sing in an a cappella ensemble of 4-5 singers).

I was practicing my solo song on my walk today, huffing and puffing, and I sounded fine (to me). I even recorded myself and listened back to be sure.

I got home and sang in the kitchen, and I was totally flat! Again, I recorded myself and I can hear flat notes off and on.

What did I do wrong? How can I sound better when I'm out of breath than I do when I'm standing still?

Replies

• HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is this:

While you're walking, you naturally are breathing harder. It is possible that you are taking bigger breaths before singing your notes, giving you more support. I have found that I tend to go flat when I don't have enough breath support. I know it seems counterintuitive since you perceive yourself as being out of breath, but you were most likely trying harder while you were walking because you were conscious of the fact that you were working harder. If that makes sense?
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That makes perfect sense, HLeAnn! I know that this particular song requires me to definitely use everything I've got to keep the notes up there. If inhaling is it, then maybe I need to try to run and sing it. :laugh:
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How was your performance?