Are you buying new clothes?

Options
rosy003
rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
I'm highly annoyed that my fall wardrobe doesn't fit. I can't decide if I want to spend the money on clothes that I hope will be too big in a year. But I was close to tears this morning with almost nothing to wear. Did you/will you buy new clothes to fit until you're at your prepregnancy size? I would buy some things from the thrift store, but I haven't been able to get there without the kids.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    When I lose a little more, I will buy a few pieces to tide me over until I fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes from before my first pregnancy. Then I have some stuff to wear, albeit limited, until I get down to my pre-pregnancy weight from before this pregnancy, which was a fair amount lower than before the first one!

But generally I try not to buy too much because I don't want to spend a lot on stuff I'll be wearing for such a short period of time. After my older son was born, I found a cut of jeans that I liked, so I bought some pairs off eBay in smaller sizes up to a point, then the cut stopped being flattering when I hit a size 8, and I was starting to buy more permanent clothes anyway.

I guess it depends on how much you have left to lose and how long you think it'll take. Me, I have 50+ lbs to get to my all-time low and 70+ to get to UGW (though I was pretty darn small at my low weight). So I have a lot of sizes to work through, which means a lot of $$. If I had 20 or 30 to lose, I'd probably be more willing to invest in some "interim clothes."

Since you have 7 lbs to go (per your ticker, plus you look pretty awesome in your profile pic!) and expect it to take a while, I'd invest a little more liberally. Maybe you can find some pieces that will "shrink" with you, like wrap dresses :)

Edited for typo and clarity
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I ended up buying some clothes after my first baby/before I lost my weight. I was sick of still wearing maternity clothes. But, I also didn't want to spend a lot of money so I went to thrift stores to get some in between things. It stinks having clothes of all different sizes laying around, but let's be real- it's a necessity! I would just get a few key things- a pair of jeans, dress pants, some cardigans so you can layer etc...good luck!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd buy some new pieces with a lot of give to them (like wrap and swing dresses), skinny jeans with a bit of stretch to them. That way they'll probably still look cute on you when you reach your UGW (which, going by Rebecca's comment, you're 7 pounds away from).

And listen, girly, you look AMAZING. That belly pic you have up does not look at all like you just had a baby.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Like Jillsie I bought some things but tried not to buy too many things. I have 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of capris, and a pair of shorts. I bought several shirts, but I don't think they will be too big when I lose. I made sure I didn't spent too much. But it was hard for me to find pants that fit due to my darn belly. At first I had to have 17s to fit my belly but they were baggy everywhere else. Now I'm in 15s and they are still a little baggy in other areas. I think I'm getting close to pre-preggo clothes but I'm not brave enough to try yet. Don't feel bad if you need to buy a few things. You can always keep them or put them in consignment.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I bought some new jeans but I bought cheap ones so as not to spend too much.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a few items, especially pants. It makes me feel SO much better to have flattering pants. I bought a few pairs along the way of my weight loss, and the confidence boost actually helped to keep me motivated to look better and better :smile:.

As others said, consider items with some stretch so that you can keep wearing them as your shrink, or keep the cost low so that it's not a huge financial sacrifice since you don't have any desire to fit these pants a year out.
  • jessicahubbard23
    Options
    I bought a few items at a consignment shop. I don't want to spend much on something I hopefully won't be wearing for long.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think I have one pair of jeans that fit me right now. I bought them while pregnant during my in between stage. I'm hoping I can just wear them for now until I can fit back into my other jeans. I will be on maternity leave until December so won't be really "getting dressed" much anyway. I just wear yoga pants and stretchy shorts around the house.
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to buy anything, but I did just buy one new running tank top. I figure I need it in order to get back to fitting in all my other clothes :) I still wear my other work out stuff that I don't love (mostly old race shirts that feel a little baggy, but better than my tanks that are too snug) but at least on my long saturday run I have a shirt that fits pretty well. :)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    What about hitting the thrift shop to grab a few pieces that fit without hitting your wallet too much?