Inspiring Reads/Movies on Bicycling

Options
mlove351
mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
What book or movie you thought was inspiring on bicycling. The last book I read was Where the Pavement Ends: One Woman's Bicycle Trip Through Mongolia, China & Vietnam.

This book really got me thinking that one day I want to do a long distance bike travel, not sure by myself but hey it did get me dreaming of the possibility ... what was yours :)

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Pavement-Ends-Bicycle-Mongolia/dp/0898866847

Replies

• jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The Flying Scotsman. (Movie)
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    No mention of 'Premium Rush' ?
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    American Flyers
  • mlove351
    Options
    Premium rush was a good movie :)
  • mlove351
    Options
    Ill have to check out the flying scotsman
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I prefer staying on Asphalt but this was a good movie.

Ride the Divide 2010 NR80 minutes
    Starting in Banff, Canada, and ending at the U.S.-Mexico border, the Great Divide mountain bike race extends 2,700 miles along the Continental Divide. This scenic documentary follows three determined cyclists attempting the grueling ride.
  • StephenKTHill
    Options
    I havent seen or head of any of these! I guess I have got some catching up to do!
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    American Flyers is cheese.

Premium Rush is nasty.

Flying Scotsman is really quite good.

One Sunday In Hell - Documentary on Paris Roubaix in 1976 is supposed to be brilliant.

In terms of real racing, check out the 1989 TdF highlights - Pedro Delgado, the previous years winner turns up late, loses a bunch of time...And speaking of time.................Closest TdF ever. Brilliant rides from Delgado, LeMond and Fignon...
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Not inspiring as such, but probably the weirdness I've ever seen regarding bicycling, or not regarding bicycling:
    The Triplets of Bellville
    It's French. Maybe that explains it. Don't worry about whether it's subbed or dubbed, there is a total of one sentence said in the entire movie.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Chasing Legends

Some Hollywood type BS in it but gives a pretty good idea of what goes on in a Pro Tour team.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Bicycle Dreams (documentary)
    Ride the Divide (documentary)
    Breaking Away- One of my favorites!
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure- If you say don't love this movie you're probably lying. It's a pretty honest look at bike love :wink: . I just happened to watch it again last night for the millionth time.

ETA: Premium Rush was really stupid but there was some amazing riding in that movie. I had to laugh at all the bike stereotypes.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

If you think that's cheese, you are gonna love my next title....

Quicksilver
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Big Water Bike

Ok, not a movie or a book...yet. But they biked around the great lakes last summer and are trying to raise money right now to put all their pictures, videos, and memories into a documentary. They stayed with me one night on the home stretch. It was very cool to hear about their adventures and the people they've met along the way.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bicycle Dreams (documentary)
    Ride the Divide (documentary)
    Breaking Away- One of my favorites!
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure- If you say don't love this movie you're probably lying. It's a pretty honest look at bike love :wink: . I just happened to watch it again last night for the millionth time.

ETA: Premium Rush was really stupid but there was some amazing riding in that movie. I had to laugh at all the bike stereotypes.

Breaking Away, for sure. I may be biased because it's set in Bloomington, IN where I live, but it is a super-entertaining movie about a cute high school kid who dreams of being a professional cyclist. And a young Dennis Quaid plays his big brother. Yum!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I prefer staying on Asphalt but this was a good movie.

Ride the Divide 2010 NR80 minutes
    Starting in Banff, Canada, and ending at the U.S.-Mexico border, the Great Divide mountain bike race extends 2,700 miles along the Continental Divide. This scenic documentary follows three determined cyclists attempting the grueling ride.

^^^This documentary is really inspiring for cyclists and mountain bikers alike, as it's considered one of the most grueling mountain bike races. The gal (Mary Metcalf Collier) that is featured in this movie is a truly amazing, humble rider, and I'm proud to say that I know her. :flowerforyou:

I believe it's available on netflix...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    There's only been one cycling film for me - Jorgen Leth's "A Sunday in Hell"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vilmAcTe18E
  • mlove351
    Options

If you think that's cheese, you are gonna love my next title....

Quicksilver

Quicksilver.. yes.. that is with Kevin Bacon.. great movie..lol..
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Depending on what types of cycling you want to see..

There is RAAM (Race Across America) - more info on it here http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam2.php?N_webcat_id=24 a friend of ours is one of the mechanics.. it is completely bonkers!!

For a bit of Downhill and Freeride action, check out anything by Anthill Films.. I like Follow Me and Strength in Numbers.. http://anthillfilms.com/

:happy:
  • hmoffatt
    Options
    On a few topics, I liked

Ride the Divide - film - mountain bike race, already mentioned
    Hell on Two Wheels - book - about the Race Across America

Thunder and Sunshine (and the sequel) - book by Alastair Humphreys - about touring around the world.
    The Man Who Cycled The World - book by Mark Beaumont - about a racing tour around the world.
    Plenty of other touring books too.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There's only been one cycling film for me - Jorgen Leth's "A Sunday in Hell"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vilmAcTe18E

I just KNEW you would say this! :smile:

The opening title sequence is brilliant!