Daily Challenge 16/9/2013--Mindfulness

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
Today is another simple challenge that may be very difficult.

You are going to apply the principles of mindfulness that we try to practice with our food choices and eating habits to some other aspect of your daily lives.

Once again, this is more of a meditation than an activity.

Mindfulness means being fully present and tuned into whatever you are doing. Whether that be preparing your supper, trying a new Push-Me-Pull-You at the gym, talking to a work colleague about The Big Presentation or The Big Game--it doesn't matter.

Your mission today is to be fully present and aware. Examine the details of things you take for granted as you go through your day. THINK about things you usually take for granted. Take the time to perceive once more. Humans get acclimatized rather easily. We subconsciously create blinders for ourselves so that we stop being bothered by nagging details.

As an example, I offer the pile of dirty dishes I have ignored for three days. My dishwasher is broken (yeah yeah..boo hoo...I know) and I was SHOCKED to see how quickly I fell back into my old pattens of ignoring kitchen mess. (I used to be an expert at Kitchen Ker-Plunk, the game where you pull only the item you desperately need from a teetering stack of dirty dishes and just wash THAT item, ignoring the others and hoping they don't come crashing down.

Not today. On Mindfulness Day the blinders come off. I see the whole mess. And I am going to do something about it.

What do you see?

Replies

• slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Super Challenge!

Today I zoned out while doing my workout and had to snap back into the "now" before I injured myself.

Mindful eating is my goal today. Chewing each bite carefully so my body knows it is being nurtured.

Thanks Mark!
  • m23prime
    Options
    I just came back from the best 70 minutes I have ever spent in a gym. New achievements on old machines. New challenges on some new Pull-This-Hurt-You's.

Plus the person I like to get instructions from is back from holidays!

Also--the kitchen is now sparkly!
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Today is kind of a blah day, both weather-wise and me mentally... I a going to be mindful not to let that send me to food for comfort.
  • get2stacey44
    Options
    Well, seeing this at 5:13 means I've let most of the day go by w/o being mindfull. I am guilty of this as I usually am acting now and thinking about the next thing. I will be mindful for the rest of the day and tonight at dinner. Good reminder. Thanks.
  • m23prime
    Options
    You know...

It almost bugs me that this stuff is so important.

It is irritatingly simple, yet so ding-dong merrily on high tough to do ALL the time.

Like all of the pre-beginner exercises I am doing at the gym. It doesn't matter what the flippin' exercise is, it always boils down to, "Suck in your gut and tighten your butt!"

I could be doing bicep curls and the kinesthesiologist will still say exactly the same thing.

"Suck in your gut and tighten your butt!"

But it makes you think about what you are doing. And about the muscle groups involved. Also...it works.

Master mindfulness and all the other stuff just falls into place.

Because it has no choice.

Because the decision was already made.

By you.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Spent some quality time with my 3 year old granddaughter, my daughter and her husband. We exercised together with the Wii. Country Dance and Just Dance. It was really fun trying to get her to follow the moves of the characters on the screen that were leading us through the routine. 45 minutes of dancing just seem to fly by. It was great to forget the problems of the day and being mindful of this special time that does not come that often and seems to fly by too quickly.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Yesterday I mindfully stayed in bed all day and watched reruns of Bones. I am going through week 3 of being sick and although I know this is normal -especially since I don't medicate and I make my body fight it off alone - I am getting tired of being tired and I think my marathon shopping trip really did me in.

So in a way yesterday I was mindful that my body needed more rest
    So that's what it got!