Fed Up

Options
JamBlaze
JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
Hey All,

Just need to vent/rant. I've been doing 5x5 on and off for about three months now - and it's been more off than on recently. I'm seriously lacking motivation. I think I'm caught in a bit of a catch-22 - because I lack motivation, I'm not rigidly sticking to the program (switched to Smith machine, take weeks off, mix up exercises/days), so I'm not getting very good results, which makes me lack motivation... My diet at the moment is just a huge mound of sugar and carbs, which makes my belly look like a pillow. I'm tired trying to cram protein into my diet. One minute I decide I'm going to maintain, then cut, then maintain... BLAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Anyone else felt like like this at some point? Got any motivation tips for me, apart from stop whining and start lifting?

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Just need to vent/rant. I've been doing 5x5 on and off for about three months now - and it's been more off than on recently. I'm seriously lacking motivation. I think I'm caught in a bit of a catch-22 - because I lack motivation, I'm not rigidly sticking to the program (switched to Smith machine, take weeks off, mix up exercises/days), so I'm not getting very good results, which makes me lack motivation... My diet at the moment is just a huge mound of sugar and carbs, which makes my belly look like a pillow. I'm tired trying to cram protein into my diet. One minute I decide I'm going to maintain, then cut, then maintain... BLAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Anyone else felt like like this at some point? Got any motivation tips for me, apart from stop whining and start lifting?

Pick a place to start and get to it :blushing:

Choose one thing to tackle at a time, you sound overwhelmed. Start simple, and as you begin to feel more empowered, the rest will fall into place :drinker:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    -Figure out what you want to do and stick to it. Do you want to maintain? Do you want to cut? Pick one and work out your calorie intake and exercise.
    -Pick a routine and stick to it. You will affect your progress by not being consistent.
    -Plan your meals. It sucks, it's a pain in the *kitten*, but it makes life so much easier. Pick a day to plan and prep your food for the week. When you come home in a lack-of-food-tizzy, you won't be as likely to grab the sugary, carby stuff because you have good food all ready to go.
    -Plan your workouts. If you decide to go with a 5x5, schedule 3 days a week to get your lifting in. If you schedule it, you're more likely to get it done.

Not much for motivation; if you want it, you'll do it. We all go through slumps, you just have to find a way to work through them.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to find something that you enjoy doing. Perhaps lifting weights isn't it. I have never had trouble with motivation myself, but I have come to realize recently that it's basically genetic. Some people just tend to get fixated on certain goals, or really enjoy moving and feel useless without some sort of a physical activity with a goal. I am one of them. Right now, I am slowly but surely working up towards my goal weights on all the lifts, and I am really into what I am doing. I researched the hell out of technique and programming and would not miss a training session for the world. Most of everything else I do is like that, too.

Find something that suits your personality. If you tend to not maintain an interest in something for more than a few months, you are probably better suited for a gym with lots of classes--yoga, spin, and more unusual stuff like climbing or dance-style classes. You can always come back to weights later if you find that you are ready to commit to a lifting program.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have to switch things up regularly. The only thing that's been constant for me since I started lifting in February, has been the lifting itself. I've switched programs around more times than you can count, BUT I've progressively gotten stronger and fitter. Nowadays I'm adding cardio/endurance into the mix and am progressing that way also. I do a different program every month, pretty much. I stick to the overall basics (squat, deadlift, bench and OHP) and add a couple things in here and there for variety. Right now I'm lifting 2x/week and doing other things on other days. Works well for me.

Maybe check into Nia Shanks. She's got lifting programs that are designed for ADD people who need variation every few weeks. You just may be one of them. So go for it! Not all of us can stick to the same lifting program for 3 months. I certainly can't. It's fine if you can't either. So accept that about yourself and find something that suits you better.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard when you read the message boards and people are all doing different things. Picking one thing to focus on is a good idea but I would also say, set a goal for yourself. To help get myself consistent I decided to do strong lifts for a minimum of 12 weeks. I do want to lose weight but I want to be strong so while I try to keep my calories on target (TDEE -15%) I am not quite as strict with that at the moment. I am really enjoying the strength gains so that's what I'm focused on. What are your goals and which of those are most important to you? I have health issues that I want to overcome and feeling good is what keeps me consistent. That's why I'm focused more on the type of food I'm eating and exercise and it seems to be working.

I also started keeping a journal in my exercise notebook. I wrote down what I wanted to accomplish and a time frame and when I get frustrated I write that down too. Then I go back and re-read my original message to myself and it helps me focus again.

ETA: I'm just a flaky, easily distracted person, not an exercise guru of any type so take what I say with that in mind. ;)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - find something you love, make a commitment, hold yourself accountable, and stick with it. If you dread doing something and aren't motivated, you'll never stick with it. If your diet isn't in check and isn't consistent, you'll never see the results you want. Biggest issue I see as a trainer IS commitment. If you stick with something and are consistent it will work. If you don't you'll get bored, frustrated, be pissed at the lack of results, and will give up. So only you can decide what you want to do. Perhaps starting fresh with a new workout plan and setting little goals to start e.g. lifting 2x week will help. I'm like Dani in the sense that I too get bored with workouts & have to switch things up. I probably shouldn't say this here, but I could never do a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength just due to the fact that it lacks variety and I'd be bored out of my mind. So I change things up every couple of months or so. The important thing is that you're making linear progression or meeting whatever goal you may have set for yourself.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. You all had great advice. I think at the moment I'm setting myself too many targets, so for now I'm going to go back to basics of just lifting 3 times a week and see how I get on with that, and if I find it too boring, drop down to 2 times a week with a run or other activity on the 3rd session.