Frustration

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
As I get more and more into CrossFit I find myself sometimes becoming frustrated with my own shortcomings regarding technique and form. I want so much to do well and I get upset when I feel like I am not doing something right. Last week it was overhead squats and last night it was snatches.

I know that complex movements take time to learn but still, I want to be good at everything RIGHT NOW! UGH!

The worst part for me is that I am pretty strong already but learning these new moves requires me to lift very small amounts of weight, which makes me feel weak and ineffectual.

I know that everyone has been there and that we all have to start someplace but that doesn't make the struggle suck any less.

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I hear ya man. As a newbie myself, I want to do more too. Heavier weight, more reps while still maintaining technique and form. I know I'll get there but it still sucks sometimes to see myself lifting so much less or using so many bands. All in due time....
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Me, at the end of most Crossfit workouts
    6bd.gif
    "I could have done more."

I know your struggle; in fact, was reflecting on it a little bit ago. I'm sure you know you'll get where you want to be with time and dedication, but I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated, friend.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, just keep working on it. Plus also ask you coach to watch you do some of the moves so he can correct you if needs be and help on your improvement. I currently do WOD's with 63 lbs, except for deadlifts. However, I have decided not to try and force to go heavier until I am more comfortable in my form. I plan to ask my coach to correct and help improve on my moves, as the 63 lbs is getting better to handle, still a struggle, but want to be in perfect form before going heavier. The heavier I go with bad form, more likely I will get hurt...

Good luck :)
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I hear ya for sure. I'm super competitive by nature and being a newb at CF sure is humbling. At a regular gym there just isn't any movements I typically CAN'T do. But CF is anything but ordinary and in order to become better than ordinary we must challenge ourselves to achieve things we've never even attempted.

That said, we can't possibly expect to be as proficient as members who've spent time and sweat improving their skills and fitness levels. I'll be disappointed if someone new beats my efforts once I've got 6 months under my belt. But that will only serve to motivate me further.

We'll get there !
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Me, at the end of most Crossfit workouts
    6bd.gif
    "I could have done more."

I know your struggle; in fact, was reflecting on it a little bit ago. I'm sure you know you'll get where you want to be with time and dedication, but I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated, friend.

Same. I feel like I'm "lesser" than some of the other fitters because I'm not pounding mass weight, my burpees look like floppies (aka not pretty and very slow), and I'm nowhere near to a muscle up. The coaches don't make me feel that way. It's all in my head, and I know it.

My box loves to make 30 second videos of us while doing our WOD and post them on facebook. I didn't know I was front and center of a video. I sat and watched myself and compared to others around me. I didn't do this like HER....or his technique looked better....finally and just put it out of my head.

I am now trying to tell myself that even if I'm on the lower end of the spectrum, I'm still doing 100% better than the person sitting on the couch eating cheetos.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Snatches are the hardest lift to get perfect. But honestly the key to all Oly lifts is flexibility. A strong, deep squat. A tight and straight mid-line. Learning to sit on your heels. All these make the lifts easier. So don't beat yourself up about it. The people around you all started off light and awkward. As long as you are progressing take the small victories and PRs and be happy.