5x5 while pregnant

Options
I've been doing SL for several weeks now. Except that I've been on a two week hiatus since I strained my tensor fascia....hurts ridiculously when I hit parallel on a squat. Previously to SL's I did Starting Strength for a couple of months.

This past weekend I found out I'm preggers and wanted to know if there were any other women on here that did this program while pregnant and if so how long did you do it for and if you did any modifications.

My thoughts have been to not add anymore weight and work with the weight I'm currently on as far as squats are concerned. Do this program through my first trimester and then switch to just doing free-hand weights and kettel bell exercises once I go into my second tri.

Also, gonna talk to my OB next week too to get her opinion since I have been doing this type of lifting prior to me getting pregnant.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

*edited for typos!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations! I'm no medic so get your midwife to advise; however I've seen that gif of the girl Deadlifting with a huge bump, but suspect she was used to lifting. The further into pregnancy you get the more relaxin so would have to be careful of overextending moves. Hoping you have a very healthy, happy and boring (uncomplicated) pregnancy! X
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks!

Yeah I've see that gif too! Which has motivated me to continue lifting. I'll definitely bring it up to ob...I'm just thinking I will just have to modify my lifts as I get bigger. LOL. Besides deadlifts are my favorite lifts. Rawr!!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Let us know how it goes.

There is a recent book that examines advice given to pregnant women critically and evaluates the evidence for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-Better-Conventional-Pregnancy-Wrong-/dp/1594204756/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379018532&sr=8-1&keywords=economist+myths+pregnancy

I haven't read it, just heard the interview with the author. But there is a chapter on working out. Might be worth a look.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just did an assessment on exercise in pregnancy, and the advice I read stated that you could continue with exercise that you were doing prior to falling pregnant. However, stay mindful of your body's responses and what it's telling you. And don't push for PRs, this is a time to maintain fitness / strength etc (as much as possible) not to develop it. There's an online blog called Crossfit Moms (or something like that) and they have pics of women doing amazing things whilst pregnant. But I'd definitely talk to you OB about what you want to do. And congratulations!
  • zanyzana
    Options
    Oh, it said not to do things that like downhill slalem or rollerderby (risk of falling / contact). And don't scuba dive (pressure affects the baby), and don't exercise above 2500m above sealevel unless you're already acclimatised to it.

Just in case you were considering any of these things. Oh, and after the first trimester, don't exercise on your back (which might include benchpress?) as there's a major vein - the vena cava - which can be compacted or something like that and cause dizziness, nausea...

Wow, fancy that - my knowledge has come in handy!! :bigsmile:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Let us know how it goes.

There is a recent book that examines advice given to pregnant women critically and evaluates the evidence for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-Better-Conventional-Pregnancy-Wrong-/dp/1594204756/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379018532&sr=8-1&keywords=economist+myths+pregnancy

I haven't read it, just heard the interview with the author. But there is a chapter on working out. Might be worth a look.

I will definitely keep you gals posted. thanks for the link on the book, I've added it to my cart...I plan on educating myself as much as I can. I definitely don't want to lose any muscle gains I've had. I've heard how much strength training and exercise can decrease lower back pain when pregnant and that's something that concerns me as I had seriously bad sciatic pain when I was obese. :( and I never want to feel that again...so I'm doing everything I can now to make this pregnancy healthy as possible.

Thanks so much zanyzana for your input too! LOL...um I don't think I'm be doing roller derby or slalem. Hehehehe...although I've always wanted to be a bad *kitten* roller derby chick, but I won't be starting now!
  • zanyzana
    Options
    You might find this article really interesting - http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/09/on-pumping-iron-and-making-babies/
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this, I've been considering trying to get pregnant and have wondered about lifting as well. I haven't seen that gif though, I will have to look for it!