ZR 5K on a treadmill

missmylin
missmylin Posts: 32 Member
Are any Runner 5's out there doing the 5K on a treadmill? I struggle a bit on the days that I go to the gym, because I can't stop to do my stretches. Especially the Week 6 stuff with the squats and stretching. Why, you ask? Because if I get off the treadmill, someone else is going to take it from me. (There are only 2 at my local rec centre.)

How do you guys deal with it? Even the walk, run, heel lifts drill has me stumped on how to do it properly while on the treadmill.

Replies

• asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I did the entire C25K trainer on a treadmill. I never got off the treadmill, if i stopeed tomstretch i would do the stretches on the treadmill, you can do a lot of stretches on it. Standing w/the ball of my foot on the edge & pushing down on my heel down, heel lifts, squats, etc. all that on the treadmill. Oh yeah & skipping too on the treadmill, I set it @ 2.8, held on to the safety rail & skipped.

I did run & still do outdoors (I prefer running outdoors) , but those were what I called "fun runs" no trainer app, just running for the fun of it.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    I used the side rails that run along the belt. I would hop off the belt onto the rails, stretch then hop back on again. It might look a little odd at a gym though :D Stretching is SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!! Well, okay, at least for me.

Central to my survival is a green physical therapy strap with a short informative booklet. It takes just a few minutes a day to get in a good stretch.
    http://www.amazon.com/OPTP-440-Green-Stretch-Out-Strap/dp/B000X9PDUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379444982&sr=8-1&keywords=green+physical+therapy+strap

I don't think I could run daily if I didn't stretch properly every night (and sometimes morning).
  • jenn2403
    jenn2403 Posts: 136 Member
    I am on Week 3 of the program and I just hit the "pause" button and do the stretches right there on the treadmill. I figure if someone is taking the time to look at me, then they should be focusing a bit more on their workout and not so much on mine :)
  • missmylin
    missmylin Posts: 32 Member
    Central to my survival is a green physical therapy strap with a short informative booklet. It takes just a few minutes a day to get in a good stretch.
    http://www.amazon.com/OPTP-440-Green-Stretch-Out-Strap/dp/B000X9PDUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379444982&sr=8-1&keywords=green+physical+therapy+strap

I don't think I could run daily if I didn't stretch properly every night (and sometimes morning).
    Just looked this up. I think I'm going to get one. It looks like it would really help.