First Date Etiquette for the over 40 crowd

Options
LFDBabs
LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
OK...I need some guidance. I'm going on a first date with a guy on Saturday. We live about 90 minutes apart so we are meeting at a restaurant. His choice of restaurant and he did ask me out. Suggested a movie after dinner.

Do I offer to contribute to dinner (it's quite a nice restaurant)? Offer to pay if we go to the movies? or do I just assume he is footing the bill.

I haven't done the first date thing (beyond coffee dates) in a long, long time and I think I am in panic mode every so slightly, lol

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    OK...I need some guidance. I'm going on a first date with a guy on Saturday. We live about 90 minutes apart so we are meeting at a restaurant. His choice of restaurant and he did ask me out. Suggested a movie after dinner.

Do I offer to contribute to dinner (it's quite a nice restaurant)? Offer to pay if we go to the movies? or do I just assume he is footing the bill.

I haven't done the first date thing (beyond coffee dates) in a long, long time and I think I am in panic mode every so slightly, lol

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I usually atleast offer to cover the popcorn and drinks (they cost the equvalent to the movie lol) I alway thinks its nice to try and offer to pay for something .However if he says no don't push it
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I usually atleast offer to cover the popcorn and drinks (they cost the equvalent to the movie lol) I alway thinks its nice to try and offer to pay for something .However if he says no don't push it

Agree. As a guy I think its nice if they offer, but I always pay. Hope your date is a good one. smiley-eatdrink062.gif
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Me too. I would offer to split the bills. I usually find that if it's a match then he won't accept and if it's a bust, he will......although this IS a rather sweeping generalisation!! :laugh:

Have fun! :bigsmile:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter to me. . Either way, I'm paying. .If she offers, that's fine, but not necessary. Either way, if he insists on paying. . don't argue. . just say thank you! (and no! you don't owe him anything!).
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Usually the person asking does the paying. If he asked you out and chose the restaurant, it is reasonable to expect him to pay for dinner. If he doesn't pick up the bill in a reasonable amount of time and put his credit card in the slot (i.e., indicating that he wants you to contribute), then offer to contribute. If he says "No thanks," leave it at that. Don't play this "Oh, I insist," BS. Otherwise, just let him pay and be sure to thank him for a wonderful meal.

As far as the movie, I'm not a huge fan of movies on first dates because you can't talk. However, since this will come after dinner (right?), you should know pretty clearly whether or not you want to go out with him again. If you don't want to see him again, offer to pay for the movie tickets right up front. If you do, I would at least give him the opportunity to pay. If he seems to want you to pay, then just pay. You're going to have to somewhat play this by ear based on how the date is going. You could also offer to pay for popcorn/drinks, but if you are going after dinner you two may not want any of that.

Hopefully he will make it easy for you and be a gentleman and pay for everything without issue.
  • raige123
    Options
    I had mentioned this in another post but I read recently that men find it emasculating when a woman wants to go dutch on a date, lol. I hate having a guy pay my way, but have had to let that happen when I offered but the guys said they got it. I would say offer but chances are he will say he got it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I always appreciate it when the woman at least offers to pay for something, it's not a deal breaker or anything though if she doesn't.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Offer to pay but don't push it if he says it is his treat.

When I went on a movie date he said "I got this?" I said "really? Thank you!" and that was it.
  • raige123
    Options
    Offer to pay but don't push it if he says it is his treat.

When I went on a movie date he said "I got this?" I said "really? Thank you!" and that was it.

^^THIS! or "Are you sure? Thank you."
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    1.) Go to pull out your wallet when the bill comes for dinner. He will say "This one's on me." You smile and say "Thank you."

2.) At the theater, you say "Let me get this one." He might insist on paying or not.

If he lets you pay at step 1, that's weird as he asked you out. Step 2, I don't think it matters either way. You get points for offering, we like that even if we have no intention of accepting.
  • LFDBabs
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I was leaning toward offering to pay for half, or at least the tip but wasn't sure how some men would feel about that. It was great hearing from a few guys on this one!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I was leaning toward offering to pay for half, or at least the tip but wasn't sure how some men would feel about that. It was great hearing from a few guys on this one!

Offer to pay or leave the tip but if he says no, smile and say thanks! He is taking you out so enjoy it!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I agree with the answers.

I would add that, as a woman, you are NOT to cross or anger the man you are dating. So I would be wary of offering (even humbly) to pay, as the man you're dating could become angry and be offended - and it would probably be over by then. It seems obvious when said but only real men can be emasculated.

As men, we have traditionally been the breadwinner and money is a symbolisation of our power. Take this away, and you take away our power.
    We like to show on a date that we are able to protect a woman, like a knight in a bank-note armor (yes, we love to sprinkle a bit of humour too as you can see!). This is why we insist on paying, because we want to show the woman that we are the right person for her (Mr Right), able to protect her and able to cater for her needs in the future.

So many women complain that their man is a leech, a couch potatoe. But the man who is earning enough money to pay for dinners earns enough money to pay for his bills.
    Of course it is also a nice thing to pay for dinner (and it pleases us). This is our way of showing we are nice and there are other ways for you to repay us later.

It is true that sometimes we appreciate when the woman asks, as it gives us the opportunity of showing our resolve and determination in paying ("I insist!") - it's a fine line for women, maybe a bit risky as you are taking the risk to anger the man depending on their individual level of susceptibility.

But for us, this is a subtle way of showing our strength, power, determination.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I would add that, as a woman, you are NOT to cross or anger the man you are dating.

Straight up. Last bitch that tried to do something nice for me, I was all like "YOU BETTA WATCH YOSELF HO, WOULDN'T WANNA SEE MY CRAZY *kitten* ANGRY"

PQE4mgp.png?1
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Who-Should-Pay-On-The-Date.jpg
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

That is awesome!
  • LFDBabs
    Options

That is awesome!

AGREED! Awesome!
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ I would TOTALLY pay on my date with Ryan Gosling, and I would do it even if it wasn't just so I could steal his sperm................
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I would add that, as a woman, you are NOT to cross or anger the man you are dating.

Straight up. Last bitch that tried to do something nice for me, I was all like "YOU BETTA WATCH YOSELF HO, WOULDN'T WANNA SEE MY CRAZY *kitten* ANGRY"

PQE4mgp.png?1

:laugh: :laugh:

I always offer to split the bill. But I'm really awkward in the dating scene, which is why I rarely agree to go on dates. Seems like you got some good advice here..good luck! :drinker:
  • raige123
    Options

I actually laughed out loud at my desk at work. Lovely, hahahahahaa.