The new side show at the Gym

Options
Hjbaker
Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
Hi All I hope that your pregnancies are going well.
For those of us that are now showing and still going to the gym:

Do you feel awkward while people are staring at you?

I am beginning to relax about it and adopt a "my body, my decision" attitude about it but sometimes it really puts me off going back to the gym. There is the odd person who will smile and congratulate me on my dedication, or check that I'm doing ok. I think that's lovely but there are a good few people who just stare blankly at me and all I keep thinking is "are they admiring or disapproving?".
I am not doing any exercise that is considered risky that people could judge me on either.

Am I the only one who feels like they are the new side show? the beached whale doing push ups? or am I just being super sensitive?... Would be nice to know I'm not the only one feeling insecure about it. Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get a few odd looks when I go for a run, but I think it's more 'is she just funny looking fat or pregnant?' rather than 'ooh, she's pregnant and she's running.' Could also be because I'm now slower than a wet week.
  • rachael116
    Options
    I haven’t left the "look fat, not pregnant" stage, so no strange looks, but I still feel super self-conscious. I plan on keeping up my routine (as much as I can) once I start showing, though, so I’ll let you know how/if things change.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of weird looks doing squats, OHP, and incline bench......but then again, I rarely see non-pregnant women doing those either, lol!
  • Hjbaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your response.
    ContraryMaryM- I am totally with you on the slowness lol. I stopped running when I found out I was pregnant, I've always had issues with my knees so thought it better to be safe then sorry. Good on you for being so active.

rachael116- Good luck with keeping up your routine.... I must be honest I tried to keep to a 'routine', couldn't manage, I was short of breathe and cried... at the gym... in front of everyone. I felt like an absolute failure and that I wasn't 'coping'. Looking back on it now and knowing just how hard our bodies work to grow people, the fact I was at the gym was a miracle lol.

I guess my point is try, but don't be disappointed if you need to tweak your routine.

jenluvsushi- love the name... I miss sushi! I agree, some of the things I do look more impressive than what some of the non preggos do.... which is why I don't understand the awkward judgmental looks, shouldn't people be inspired to a certain degree?
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I catch people grinning at me during Zumba.. but I guess it is pretty funny to watch lol. I laugh at myself too! I am just getting to the pregnant looking stage! I have been getting curious looks from people I know for a while and just finally yesterday some one actually ASKED! if I was pg! lol brave soul :P
  • Hjbaker
    Options
    haha brave soul indeed!!
  • rachael116
    Options
    Aw!! Hormones probably played into that as well :) I react to the strangest things now with full-blown tears...

and full disclosure - "keeping up with my routine" really meant showing up for me as well, lol. For the first few months, I was only able to go 2.0 on the treadmill or I'd get winded! Miracle indeed.