1 week post op - when do you think I can Zumba again?

Options
Hi VSG ers!
I am exactly 1 week post op today. I have lost 21 pounds since May - and 8 pounds since last week. I am still a little sore but feeling more and more normal. Once I decided to get WLS (May 29th), my weight loss center required me to start exercising 5 days a week. Long story short, I started to Zumba and now I'm a full on addict! So - it's been a little over a week and I am really missing Zumba. I don't want to risk injury (or splitting open my pouch) - but I am really anxious to get back! Did any of you guys start exercising this soon? I mean, I have been going on walks - but it's so boring!

Replies

• teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Other than walking, my surgeon wanted me to wait one month before any other exercise
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was told nothing more vigorous than walking for six weeks.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Well went to visit my surgeon yesterday and she told me I can go ahead. She said to listen to my body - if it hurts then stop. But I was really surprised she gave me the green light! I'm going to try tonight. I already sent a message to my instructor telling her that I'm in a delicate state and will be at the back of the room - and will most probably leave early. I will keep you guys posted!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    walking only for 2 months.....no swimming, no machines, no zumba, no yoga....NOTHING per my doc. Remember you just had major surgery. You MUST let your insides heal. A few weeks is certainly not that long to avert a trip to the hospital due to complications. Your healing from that would be 10 times worse.....Be patient you have plenty of time ahead of you for exercise. Pass the time by concentrating on logging your meals, getting in water, walking, etc.
  • ersopher
    Options
    I'm a few days shy of my 5 week mark. I just got my go ahead to join the gym, swim, lift and yes Zumba too!! :) Anything before that I was told a stern NO. Even still I haven't hit a stall yet either which tells me walking alone worked well. I've been walking and then added a week ago some bike riding. With a loss of 27 pounds this first month. I'm feeling my legs getting jelloish.. sig.....h In a few more weeks you'll be able to workout for the rest of your life :) Hang in there!!!
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Since you guys all gave me a consistent No - I am really hesitant to go back to Zumba! I am now 14 days post op - and I feel pretty good. I think I will hold off for at least one more week.... I wonder why my surgeon is so different than everyone else??? I decided to go out and walk today instead of my usual Zumba class. Walking is SO BORING though.
  • ersopher
    Options
    Sorry Lady!! I feel for you!! I was so excited to have my 4 week apt to hopefully get my god ahead to workout. However go figure my 2 1/2 year old has me so busy right now all I have time for is our daily 2 mile walk. I'm with ya on how boring walking can be. I'm lucky enough to live close to a great city with lots of walking paths when I can get to um! Hang in there it wont last forever. :)
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't think I had much of an exercise restriction either. However, I was terrified I would "do" something to my sleeve so I waited a month. Then again, I also started out on soft food when I got home from the hospital. While still in the hospital the day after surgery, I followed the clear diet for breakfast, the liquid diet for lunch, and then I was sent home. The instructions were that I could eat soft foods for the first two weeks and then move to solid food after that. So... I guess it just means that following YOUR doctor's plans will work. If you've been cleared for exercising, and you've even clarified by telling your doctor what you consider exercise, then go for it. :)

I need to try Zumba again. I have the DVD set. I tried it probably a year ago and it was hard on my knees. However... I think NOW it would be much easier, other than having two left feet when it comes to aerobics/dancing.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Hey Kimber - your doctor sounds a lot like mine! I went back to Zumba and really can tell the difference that 1 week makes. I think I will go twice next week and then 3 times the following week. At least I'm easing into it. Ersopher - I have lots of paths around here too. I tried a nice 2.5 mile path around my house this morning. My dog was so happy! It's still boring to me - but at least it's beautiful. I love New England in the Fall!
  • ersopher
    Options
    Oh I bet it is beautiful there!!! Fall is one of my favorites!! I remember the seasons on the east coast. Glad Zumba is treating you well. :) Good job easing into it!