Training for a 10K

Options
Only 5 months into running, I've made progress--from 2.2 miles/25 minutes (which was as much as I could do) to 11.7/110. But with running as my only exercise, I'm getting into a dangerous territory, being that I'm more prone to injury elsewhere and just generally that the rest of my body can't keep up with my legs, which end up taking extra strain along the run. Any basic exercise reccomendations?

Replies

• xmel123x
    Options
    Try swimming, its fantastic for the whole body and is also a good cardio workout. Also do some strength/weight exercises to keep your muscles built up so you don't burn them off with all the calories you'll burn. :)
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to do strength training as well as running. You want your whole body to be fit, not just your legs. Try doing some upper body weight routines the work your biceps, triceps, back, and chest. Also do some abs because your core is an essential part of overall fitness. On days you don't run do some leg strength training too, leg press, squats, ect... I personally use hasfit.com for all my strength training and some cardio as well. They have a bunch of upper body and ab workouts. Good luck