Introduce Ourselves

Options
2»

Replies

• superchargedRD
    superchargedRD Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

I'm a 31 year old Physician Assistant and Registered Dietitian. I went to undergrad and Kansas State University and then Grad School at the University of Oklahoma and then PA school at Wake Forest University. I currently work in geriatrics but also moonlight in the emergency room and behavioral health. Twice a month I teach nutrition/geriatrics at a local university.

I'm a firm believer in practicing what you preach, me being a prime example. Also, I am getting married in August and want to be in the best shape of my life. I'm currently working out with a trainer but found that though I was toning, I still wasn't losing the weight I wanted. I took a look at my diet and knew without looking that I had some problems. I drink too much wine to begin with and skip meals.

I'm here to get back on track!
  • yellowabc
    Options
    Hi Fellow Members!

I'm a 49-year-old Bay Area doc, dad of 3, who just joined at the beginning of January 2012. Certainly being in the healthcare field, I value good health and also want to model good behavior for my patients.

By observing a 1600 kCal diet (calorie-wise, about equal parts protein, fat, and carbohydrate), after 6 weeks I met my initial goal (-17 lb) and am now working on my stretch goal (-27 lb), which I hope to achieve well before I meet with my PCP this summer for my 50 yo checkup. By the end of the year I am hoping I can be close to my ideal body weight (-47 lb). While I'm glad about the progress made so far, I know the hardest part lies ahead -- especially lifestyle change. Beforehand, I would consume nothing between a light 7 AM breakfast and a heavy 9 PM dinner -- the latter of which would invariably be consumed in a starvation-fueled hunger. Going forward, I need to take time during a day to consume a healthy, nutritious mid-day meal and ideally some small snacks. This will take a very conscious effort on my part!

I also need to incorporate exercise into my program (cardiovascular and muscle toning) but like others have limited time due to my work schedule. Complicating this is a recent back injury that will limit my lifting, bending, and stretching until the summer at least. I'd appreciate any comments or advice about exercise routines, especially about HIIT or other similar regimens.

I look forward to being a part of this group. As health care providers we have special insights but also face unique demands. Please feel free to friend me if you wish!
  • imophlebam
    imophlebam Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi guys! I am a second year pediatric resident. I have gained about 30 lbs since starting med school/residency and am looking to get back to a healthy weight. I have tried weight watchers with minimal success in the past, and am hoping the transparency of counting calories will work well for me. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this up during 28 hour calls! Does anyone have tips for that?
  • lillilanda
    lillilanda Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 32 year old general internist. I'm struggling with residency and baby weight. I was obese when I was younger and was able to maintain a healthy weight through calorie counting - but I stopped at the third year of medical school, and started gaining, and by the time I delivered my baby I was 100 pounds over a healthy weight. I'm down 50 and have 50 more to go. The first 8 lb, 1 oz was easy but I've had to fight for every pound since then. I follow a 1300-1400 diet and that translates to a half pound or a pound per week on average.
  • DrSelenaMyers
    DrSelenaMyers Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Decided to post my introduction here because I posted under the wrong topic in June 2013.

Hello everyone, my name is Dr. Selena Myers, Licensed Professional Counselor. I'm new to Myfitnesspal. As I searched for groups to join, I noticed that the last line of this group says it all for me, professionals trying to live the advice that they give!! As some have said, I to don't want to be a hypocrite, not following the advice that I wholeheartedly give to my patients that are struggling with obesity and overweight issues. As a professional dedicated to helping others, I'm hoping to find online support and encouragement from this group. Wishing everyone the best on your journey!!!!
  • JennergyKC
    JennergyKC Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Checking back in, now that I'm a first year internal medicine resident! I gained more weight at the end of fourth year and through my first month of residency. I'm just so tired when I get home I usually can't talk myself into going for a run... So now I wake up an extra hour early (4:00-4:30, ugh) and run. It actually makes the rest of my day a whole lot better. I've kept it up for a few weeks now and hope that it will become a permanent habit. I also bought a FitBit Flex that is super awesome and motivating to see how much I walk during the day.
  • uglyrock
    uglyrock Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just found myfitneespal and am very impressed. I've been practicing Emergency Medicine since 1997 in Indianapolis. I did medical school at Indiana University and residency at St. John's in Detroit.
    I've been married for 21 years and have 3 children. The oldest just went to Valparaiso University to study engineering. The other two are in high school. My wife stays home and fosters dogs from puppy mills and feral kittens until we can find furever homes.
    I'm just getting back into working out and trying to eat right. I think this app will help. I love the mass quantities of data it provides.
  • phisister
    phisister Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an ObGyn in NY, 32yo. Started using MFP after I finished residency. I initially had great success, but have been on and off the fitness wagon a few times since then. I'm now almost 7 weeks postpartum from baby #2, so am now trying to get back on track to lose the baby weight (and then the remaining residency weight) Also, as several others have mentioned, it's hard to tell patients to do the right things for their health when you're not doing them yourself.
    My biggest challenges - avoiding the post-office / on-call binge - after running around taking care of patients all day, it's so much easier to crash on the couch and eat way too much while finishing notes or watching TV than to hit the gym and stick to a healthy diet. Also, not feeling guilty about spending less time with the family in order to take that extra hour or two for myself to get to the gym. Being a working parent is tough, but add in being a physician ... well, you know.
    It doesn't look like this group is too active (not surprising, I guess), but I'd be interested in making some monthly challenges to help keep motivated, or if anyone is looking for another "friend" for support, rather than just posts through the group.
    Would anyone be up for a body weight percent challenge I.e. a goal of losing 4% of your body weight by the end of October? If so, we can start a new thread/topic.
  • DrSelenaMyers
    DrSelenaMyers Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an ObGyn in NY, 32yo. Started using MFP after I finished residency. I initially had great success, but have been on and off the fitness wagon a few times since then. I'm now almost 7 weeks postpartum from baby #2, so am now trying to get back on track to lose the baby weight (and then the remaining residency weight) Also, as several others have mentioned, it's hard to tell patients to do the right things for their health when you're not doing them yourself.
    My biggest challenges - avoiding the post-office / on-call binge - after running around taking care of patients all day, it's so much easier to crash on the couch and eat way too much while finishing notes or watching TV than to hit the gym and stick to a healthy diet. Also, not feeling guilty about spending less time with the family in order to take that extra hour or two for myself to get to the gym. Being a working parent is tough, but add in being a physician ... well, you know.
    It doesn't look like this group is too active (not surprising, I guess), but I'd be interested in making some monthly challenges to help keep motivated, or if anyone is looking for another "friend" for support, rather than just posts through the group.
    Would anyone be up for a body weight percent challenge I.e. a goal of losing 4% of your body weight by the end of October? If so, we can start a new thread/topic.

Hello, nice to meet you. I'm usually on MFP everyday. Currently I'm pushing myself really hard, physically as well as eating healthier. So I enjoy participating in the challenges on MFP.
  • vicolico
    vicolico Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Victor. I'm 36 and an oncologist. I've been obese most of my life but it's starting to really take its toll on my energy levels, particularly now with a 14 month old and another baby on the way. I am hoping to really step it up and get myself back on track so as to be a good role model for my kids and frankly to feel better. I think my biggest issue is not necessarily the exercise, since I actually like to bike ride, it's just simply that I LOOOVE carbs! Trying to kick out the carbs and decrease portion size is really going to be my biggest challenge going forward. Anyways, hope to see some results in the coming weeks. Good luck to everyone!
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am pretty sure I joined this group a long time ago, before my last 2 yo yos up and down nearly 13 kg. So, I am back this year, older and wiser I hope, and trusting that the 8kg loss in the last 2 months will continue. There is a real learning that no matter how important my work and patients are, my bike ride, my fresh cooked salmon for lunch, my good night's sleep is actually more important. Good luck for all of you this year. :smile:
  • JennergyKC
    JennergyKC Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hear hear!
    There is a real learning that no matter how important my work and patients are, my bike ride, my fresh cooked salmon for lunch, my good night's sleep is actually more important. Good luck for all of you this year. :smile:
  • Lovenestwesr
    Options
    Hi, my name is Oona, and I'm a family physician. I work out of a primary care center for university students, and I also teach medical students and family practice residents. I am married and have a preschooler. Prior to having our daughter, I had my own practice (I found the "business" of medicine totally demoralizing) and I provided hospital and maternity care. Years of shift work and long office hours left me with little energy for myself, which didn't seem to bother me until I had my daughter and I realized that I couldn't put my own health, and that of my family on the back burner. I feel I have a much better work-life balance, now, and I am pushing myself to be as healthy as I can be.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your journeys!

I'm finding the book "Spark", by John Ratey, very inspiring right now. It outlines the positive mental effects of physical activity. Check it out!
  • hec1120
    hec1120 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi All,

I am an intern and soon to be anesthesiology resident (July 1st!). I have always been a bit chubby. Until medical school, I always had the summer to be more active and naturally came down to a reasonable weight. However, since med school I've been so busy that my weight has continued to climb - or rather just hasn't come down. My BMI is currently 26.5 - which on someone 5'1 is hard to hide. I am hoping to get back to a normal BMI and hopefully gain some confidence about my appearance in the process.

My eating and exercise habits have been sub-par in internship. Primarily because it is just so easy to feel that I "deserve" a snack or to sleep in on days off or skip the gym because "I work so hard!" I am trying to change my mindset to be that I deserve healthy food and a I deserve exercise because I deserve to be healthy and look good.

This is my first time really using MFP. I find the logging of food to be somewhat tedious. I also notice that I am thinking about my food and calories all day long. It's not even that I'm hungry all the time - I am just thinking about what happens IF I eat all my calories and I'm still hungry?

I'm only on day 2 - does that feeling go away with time?