My snatch needs work.

Options
Last night's WOD was 3 snatches and 5 burpees EMOM for 20 mins. Of course after the warmup and 5 sets of 5 snatches for strength working to 1rm.

Being a noob, I didn't really work to 1rm but rather spent the time working on form. I stuck with a mere 95lbs which I felt I could easily handle but it wasn't long before I could feel some tension in my right forearm on the top most outer right side. And of course this is exactly where it hurts this morning.

It seems quite obvious that my form must not be correct. I'm going to refer to youtube crossfit vids for some visual aids on proper technique.

The good news is I had scheduled to be off today and tomorrow anyways. The bad news is baseball playoffs, 3 games tonight. Tournament tomorrow is probably 4+ games and more Sunday if we do well Saturday. Then back for olympic lifting Sunday depending on recovery progress.

Any specific links or advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    95lb for a beginner is actually a VERY good starting place. If you want the best videos regarding form, watch anything with coach Burgener. And I believe that Dan Bailey (games competitor) recently did a video on technique... haven't seen it, but his snatches are very technical and powerful and might give you some really helpful tips.

Again, 95 for reps as a noob is a pretty darn good accomplishment, nothing to downplay or feel poorly for. what it sounds like to me is that instead of form, your grip might need some strengthening, particularly if you are feeling it most in your forearm. Just a thought.

But good luck! Form comes with diligence and patience. You'll get there.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you want the best videos regarding form, watch anything with coach Burgener.

I have seen so many videos on Youtube with that guy. He knows his stuff but I have trouble taking anyone in a cowboy hat seriously!
    ;-)
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Squat snatches on tap for our WOD today and I'm not necessarily looking forward to it because it is my weakest lift. It feels really awkward (even though my coaches tell me my form is good) and I get too inside my head when I'm doing them. I say all of this for no other reason than to say "I feel ya!"

Also, definitley agree that Burgener vids are a must watch. And the Dan Bailey vid that was recently posted is also quite good.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Snatches are one of the hardest, along with Overhead Squats. To start at 95lbs though is awesome, but try it next time with a lighter weight if needs be, seeing as though you felt a slight pain this time, but awesome.

Job well done
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks Miqisha
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If you want the best videos regarding form, watch anything with coach Burgener.

I have seen so many videos on Youtube with that guy. He knows his stuff but I have trouble taking anyone in a cowboy hat seriously!
    ;-)

You SHOULD take Coach Burgener seriously. All the top CF athletes do
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    95 is really awesome. I can't really do regular snatches. I think I'm at like 45 pounds cause I'm just not comfy with the movement and only at like 85 for the power snatch. So keep working on it watch vids and record yourself.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    In case anyone hasn't seen this amazing snatch:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hVTYRjSDyC4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhVTYRjSDyC4

Then here is the commentary:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_qSpEsaRw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHQ_qSpEsaRw

Of course you should still watch all the Burgener stuff as well as the videos at Californiastrength.com. This Chad Vaughn stuff is just really beautiful.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options
    Check out the 3-part series on youtube by California Strength. They break down the Squat Snatch very well in my opinion.

I'm currently working a lot on both the Clean & Jerk and the Squat Snatch. I recently dedicated 2 days per week to just working on C&J or Snatch form with pretty light weigths initially working up to heavier 1 rep attempts after 30-45 minutes of just working on form. You have to dedicate the time to get better at these lifts. Check out any of the beginner Pendlay training programs online as a good template.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Last night's WOD was 3 snatches and 5 burpees EMOM for 20 mins. Of course after the warmup and 5 sets of 5 snatches for strength working to 1rm.

Being a noob, I didn't really work to 1rm but rather spent the time working on form. I stuck with a mere 95lbs which I felt I could easily handle but it wasn't long before I could feel some tension in my right forearm on the top most outer right side. And of course this is exactly where it hurts this morning.

It seems quite obvious that my form must not be correct. I'm going to refer to youtube crossfit vids for some visual aids on proper technique.

The good news is I had scheduled to be off today and tomorrow anyways. The bad news is baseball playoffs, 3 games tonight. Tournament tomorrow is probably 4+ games and more Sunday if we do well Saturday. Then back for olympic lifting Sunday depending on recovery progress.

Any specific links or advice would be appreciated.

Have your coaches look at your mobility too. I did an Olympic Lifting class at our box and afterwards we were talking about mobility (mainly rack position) but ended up talking snatch. The coach had us put our arms straight out, then rotate and bend so the upper arm is still horizontal but elbows and hands are straight down. Then move the back of our palms behind our lower back.

I could do this easily, one of the other guys could barely get his hands hanging straight and couldn't come close to getting them behind his back.

If you think about it, that hands hanging down position is exactly where you are as you begin your snatch (bar moving up, you moving down) so the fact that he had issues with that position was limiting him.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Thanks Karin. Blocked at work but I will be watching all of those at home.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Snatches are one of the hardest, along with Overhead Squats. To start at 95lbs though is awesome, but try it next time with a lighter weight if needs be, seeing as though you felt a slight pain this time, but awesome.

Job well done

Agreed. OHS also points out glaringly where your muscle weaknesses and lock of mobility reside. For me my lower back is weak though getting better. Had hip mobility issues at the start too but I'm getting much, much better at that.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Snatch is the single most difficult lift according to my box's Oly Coach. But once you get it down the other lifts come along quickly. OHS is the next hardest. Oyi!

As for your soreness, remember you are using and stretching tendons/ligaments in ways they probably haven't been used in a while. I went through several weeks of extremely sore wrists, knees, ankles and hip flexors. Just keep stretching! Once you get your mobility going the lifts will become easier as well.

You may also want to search for MobilityWOD on YouTube. Amazing mobility training. I do his shoulder/wrist stretches daily pre-WOD and I get an extra 3 inches of movement in my shoulders for Cleans.

We are also doing a Paleo Chair training thing right now. Coaches goal is to have us be able to sit in a Paleo Chair for 10 minutes straight LOL. We are up to 6 minutes and I can honestly say my hip flexors haven't been this loose since my junior high Tae Kwon Do years.