Tinder

Options
Cameron_1969
Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
I just downloaded tinder. . I guess it just came out for Android. .

So now. . WTF!

They make me sign in with Facebook. . which I HATE. . . which means they use my Facebook Profile pic. .

Also. .I'm 44. . So far, after about looking at about 15 matches. I've come across ONE that was over 30. . but a lot of them were HOT . .so I said 'yes'. . but it seems wrong somehow. . lol. .

My FB profile picture is a pic of me with my kid on my shoulders with lollipops in our mouths. . .I'm wondering if I should change that to a solo pic. . but then what's the point in that? . He's part of who I am, so I figure if anyone is gonna say 'yes' to me. . they might as well know right away that I have a kid. .right?

So help me here. .Who has done Tinder and what's your experience. . Also. . Help me pick a good profile pic from my MFP pics. . which would YOU pick?. .

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    What's Tinder??

I like your profile pic on here. I think a pic with Russell is cool :bigsmile:

I can't really comment on your preference for young women. It's your personal choice ...............:smokin:
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Ok. . first match. . "Vada". .hot 22 year old. . She needs a man who knows how to give a woman an orgasm. . I replied with "Hamburger" . . She's still going on about sex. . weird. .
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Tinder is an app that used to be just on the iPhone.. You basically set up one pic and a short blurb and then it sends you pictures and you either say "yay" or "nay". . .if and only if two people BOTH say "yay" to each other, then you can chat with them. . and take it from there. . It doesn't tell you who has said yay or nay to you. . so you only know if both say yes. .
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Ok. . first match. . "Vada". .hot 22 year old. . She needs a man who knows how to give a woman an orgasm. . I replied with "Hamburger" . . She's still going on about sex. . weird. .

:laugh: :laugh:

Looks like you've just pulled..........I'll PM you with some orgasm technique if you dont know!! hahahahaha!!

kiddin :wink:
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You can't put a filter on it? Like and age limit??
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Filter is under settings.

Tinder has blown the f[url]uck up here in San Francisco. All ages. I've gotten the most matches from a close up picture of my face with my dog. It's such a shallow and arbitrary way to meet people, but hey that's life. :)

[currently dating a girl from Tinder][/url]
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'm over all this online dating. All these various apps and sites are confusing (and for me a waste of time.) I'm just going to wait until I meet someone in person. But if you have good luck then that is wonderful! I have heard of Tinder but I'm not familiar with how it works.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Haven't used it. I been reading a few online reviews and based on what I've read:

"Tinder isn't a dating app, it's the Yellow Pages for ego-boosting one-night-stands."
    "Tinder may work for some, but it's not the right dating app for a chubby chap in his thirties... "

So based on the above, this isn't an app for me. :laugh: Though many of the female reviews are giving the app props. On Tinder, women don't get inundated with tons of messages from guys they are not interested in. They only get messages from guys that they said "Yes" to their pic.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way for 20-35 year old good looking guys to have a lot of one night stands. Oh well, the young guys these days have it so easy....

Also a great way for 18-25 year prostitutes to increase their customer base.

There seems to be a major disconnect when people (mainly women?) seek a long term relationship through a medium that involves high volume, low investment meet ups.

--P

P.S. Get off my lawn, kids!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Ruh roh. I did some more digging around and found some Tinder reviews from a techie view point. It seems it has some pretty major security flaws.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/mobile-security/314919-mobile-threat-monday-apps-that-follow-your-every-move

Tinder
    Not quite a dating app, Tinder says that it will pair you people nearby with (allegedly) similar interests. The location is a key aspect of the app, since you can only see (and can only be seen) by people who are nearby. The idea is that physical distance will give you some level of anonymity, but apparently it can be circumvented.

Appthority told SecurityWatch that other Tinder users can see the last time you updated your location and an "approximate" distance between you any other Tinder users viewing your profile. You'd think that this approximation is handled on Tinder's servers, but when you look at someone's Tinder profile the exact distance between you and them is sent to your phone and then obfuscated.

"For a technically savvy Tinder user, they can view this information and use a geolocation tracking technique to determine the exact geolocation with just the exact distance away number," said Appthority. "This involves spoofing their current geolocation, looking again to see how far away the target Tinder user is, then repeatedly spoofing their geolocation until they get closer to the target and the target Tinder user shows 0.0 miles away." Note that this spoofing technique also allows users to view any profile they like, by pretending to be in different locations.

Beyond your location data, Appthority says that Tinder also shares your birthday; which in itself is not too scary but could be combined with other information to steal your identity. Tinder also shares your Facebook ID, which someone could use to pull down more information from Facebook

So let's say you reject someone only to find him/her stalking you outside your bedroom window, giant cleaver in hand, ready to chop you into tinder. :noway: Oh now that I think about it, the app's name: tin·der [ tíndər ] 1.material for starting fire: material that is easily combustible and can be used for lighting a fire :laugh: :indifferent:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Sounds like a great way for 20-35 year old good looking guys to have a lot of one night stands. Oh well, the young guys these days have it so easy....

Also a great way for 18-25 year prostitutes to increase their customer base.

There seems to be a major disconnect when people (mainly women?) seek a long term relationship through a medium that involves high volume, low investment meet ups.

--P

P.S. Get off my lawn, kids!

The OP is 44 Patrick. You could also try it and hook a hot 22 year old :bigsmile:

Isn't it fun that it's no longer only men that demand sex?? Not sure why you think it's only young prostitutes? Women have been into no strings sex since, ermmmm, the 60s? Although, for some reason, men dont' REALLY like this type of liberated woman ...........?? :huh:

Coincidentally I'm just chatting to a guy on PofF. He says he's too horny to date. Cos really he just wants sex. And then he goes on to say that some woman stripped naked in the car on their second date and it turned him off. Couldnt get it up........

So, would someone male, please try explaining that phenomenon to me, cos I am confused as hell??? :laugh:
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    For what it's worth, the girls I met up with from Tinder were not looking for one night stands. Girls looking for one night stands go to bars. Or simply stand on the sidewalk in a big city and smile.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you think it's only young prostitutes? Women have been into no strings sex since, ermmmm, the 60s? Although, for some reason, men dont' REALLY like this type of liberated woman ...........?? :huh:

I said it was a great way for young prostitutes to expand their customer base. Didn't comment on their gender (male or female). I'm sure it's also good for older men/women. It's just that it's really great for the younger prostitution demographic.
    Coincidentally I'm just chatting to a guy on PofF. He says he's too horny to date. Cos really he just wants sex. And then he goes on to say.......

So you didn't stop the conversation right there? Ok, noted... :-)
    ...that some woman stripped naked in the car on their second date and it turned him off. Couldnt get it up........

So, would someone male, please try explaining that phenomenon to me, cos I am confused as hell??? :laugh:

I suppose it depends on what he saw in front of him.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

I suppose it depends on what he saw in front of him.

--P

He said it turned him off cos it was offered on a plate.................... ??
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Ruh roh. I did some more digging around and found some Tinder reviews from a techie view point. It seems it has some pretty major security flaws.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/mobile-security/314919-mobile-threat-monday-apps-that-follow-your-every-move

Tinder
    Not quite a dating app, Tinder says that it will pair you people nearby with (allegedly) similar interests. The location is a key aspect of the app, since you can only see (and can only be seen) by people who are nearby. The idea is that physical distance will give you some level of anonymity, but apparently it can be circumvented.

Appthority told SecurityWatch that other Tinder users can see the last time you updated your location and an "approximate" distance between you any other Tinder users viewing your profile. You'd think that this approximation is handled on Tinder's servers, but when you look at someone's Tinder profile the exact distance between you and them is sent to your phone and then obfuscated.

"For a technically savvy Tinder user, they can view this information and use a geolocation tracking technique to determine the exact geolocation with just the exact distance away number," said Appthority. "This involves spoofing their current geolocation, looking again to see how far away the target Tinder user is, then repeatedly spoofing their geolocation until they get closer to the target and the target Tinder user shows 0.0 miles away." Note that this spoofing technique also allows users to view any profile they like, by pretending to be in different locations.

Beyond your location data, Appthority says that Tinder also shares your birthday; which in itself is not too scary but could be combined with other information to steal your identity. Tinder also shares your Facebook ID, which someone could use to pull down more information from Facebook

So let's say you reject someone only to find him/her stalking you outside your bedroom window, giant cleaver in hand, ready to chop you into tinder. :noway: Oh now that I think about it, the app's name: tin·der [ tíndər ] 1.material for starting fire: material that is easily combustible and can be used for lighting a fire :laugh: :indifferent:

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about even putting my location on FB. I find it all very intrusive and God only knows who could be lurking in the background. I actually listened to a lecture by a guy who deals with hacking criminals, who said that it's just not safe to give out information like that.........
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Ok . . Update:

I'm a little concerned about the security thing. .but not that much. . I figure the likelihood is pretty small I'll be targeted. . I expect there are are better ways to steal someones identity. . And if they find me on facebook via tinder. . oh well. . . Also. .I don't think i'm very likely to be stalked. . unfortunately. :(

So here's what I've noticed: First of all, the demographic is VERY young (of course this is probably different from region to region. .I'm on the east coast of central florida so my 'range' includes the beaches and Orlando). . Also. .it seems that it's the chosen app of the beautiful people. . Virtually every profile is a highly attractive (usually young) girl. . I upped my age requirements (but not by enough lol). . I'm not sure what I'll do if a (real) 25 yr old actually does match up with me. .

I have had two matches plus one. The plus one was an accidental 'yes' swipe. . Now I feel like a jerk because i haven't sent her a message. . (I will send her something soon. . . maybe she's nice!). .

Anyway, the other two are realistic age-wise (over 35) and very nice normal women (as far as I can tell) They are clearly not looking for one night stands. . Both are busy single moms. . .

It's funny because one I recognized from my last stint on Match. . we exchanged emails for a while but that died out and now I have a date with her!
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    I'm not sure what I'll do if a (real) 25 yr old actually does match up with me. .

Believe me, you'll know what to do.
    ;)

Good luck dude! My experience is that a lot of girls that match with me won't even reply to a message. So make that first message something more interesting than an intro.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I'll do if a (real) 25 yr old actually does match up with me. .

Believe me, you'll know what to do.
    ;)

Good luck dude! My experience is that a lot of girls that match with me won't even reply to a message. So make that first message something more interesting than an intro.

LOL -- I'm pretty sure both you guys could figure that one out quickly!

And Cam... I agree with Chris... make that first message very witty!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, the girls I met up with from Tinder were not looking for one night stands. Girls looking for one night stands go to bars. Or simply stand on the sidewalk in a big city and smile.

This is all I have to do to meet a man? Haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Filter is under settings.

Tinder has blown the f[url]uck up here in San Francisco. All ages. I've gotten the most matches from a close up picture of my face with my dog. It's such a shallow and arbitrary way to meet people, but hey that's life. :)

[currently dating a girl from Tinder]
    [/url]

ooooh then im trying it