How to not feel bad about my abilities....

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
I'm about 4 months or so into Crossfit. I entered into it being VERY out of shape to the point of doing 2 pushups on my knees wasn't happening. Now I can string 20 or so on my knees before I have to break. So, I've improved but am nowhere near where others are.

Our box is doing a Baseline WOD today. Two levels: Intermediate and Advanced. What disappoints me is that I won't even be able to do all of the movements in the Intermediate level.

I can't do KTE...I can only get my knees to waist level. And C2B isn't possible even with 2 bands....so that would mean I'd do ring rows.

Baseline – Intermediate (Time)
500 M Row
40 Goblet Squats (1.5/1.0)
30 KTE
20 HR Push ups
10 C2B Pull ups

Baseline – Advanced (Time)
Only do advanced version if you can do ALL movements and loads as RX’d.
500 M Row
40 Front Squats (95/65)
30 T2B
20 Ring Dips
10 Bar Muscle ups

Did any of you guys go through periods like this? I know it's a process and progress takes time, but I just can't wait to not be the only one doing what others are doing.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    When i did my first introductory class we did the following workout:

500m row
    40 air squats
    30 sit ups
    20 push ups
    10 pull ups.

I did the push ups from my knees and ring rows for the pull ups.

I was in Saturday to do our Friday WOD (box squats) and saw the baseline WOD on the boards (the intro class is Saturday at 11am) and thought "I'll give that a go just to see where I stand."

First time it took me 11 minutes+. This time was 6:30 and I feel like I could have squeezed out another 10-20 seconds if I really pushed harder.

Then I did a 1000m row afterwards just to make it feel like a tougher workout.

Crossfit WORKS. No question about it.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. I am less than two months in myself, but everyone at my box is so positive and encouraging. They've all been where we are and they remember it, so don't worry about what you can't do. Focus on getting better each time and doing a little more each time. That's the thing about the Baseline WOD you did. It's just a baseline, a benchmark. Now, you'll know next time how much you improved.

At my WOD this morning, I PR'd on back squats at 235#. While that felt great, I also noticed a couple of other guys who have been there MUCH longer than I have struggling with the same or lesser weight. I know it's not about competition, but it does feel good to not be at the bottom of the class in EVERYTHING.

Keep at it OP!! Before too long, you'll kill the KTE and the C2B.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad! It takes time! Just keep at it. If you aren't seeing the improvement you want, you may want to either increase the number of times/week you WOD or increase the intensity of your current schedule. Be sure you are sleeping and eating well.

Bodyweight WODs are the toughest ones. I'm still doing push-ups on my knees, but even on my knees I feel myself getting stronger. I just moved up to banded pull-ups from bar rows.

Bottom line... at least you are making an effort. Most people don't even try anymore. Not everyone is a Froning or a Camille, even they didn't start off elite.

JUST KEEP WODDING!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CF for 2.5 mos, also starting from completely out of shape. I can't do anything on the bar unmodified yet, and I don't see that changing any time soon. But I AM stronger and WAY the heck more fit than I was when I started, and that's how I keep myself from feeling bad when I can't do something.

I started pull ups jumping from 2 45-lb plates. Today I did some with only one 45-lb plate. Still jumping. Still nowhere near being able to do a real one. But "better than yesterday."
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember about CrossFit is that everyone, and every body, is different. You can't be great at every element. Where you have the most success really boils down to what you are naturally good at.

I've been at it for 7 months and I still can't do a pullup without a band. One of my friends in the class who started around the same time just got her first one. At the same time, however, I snatch and power clean at a higher weight. During the workouts, she kills me on speed, but I got her on endurance. Everyone has their set of strengths and weaknesses.

If you started out with two knee pushups 4 months ago and now you are up to 20, I say that's awesome progress! Keep up the good work!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I could have written your OP almost word for word not so long ago! At 190+ lbs, I'm the heaviest girl at my box. At nearly 38, I'm also the oldest girl...and one of the oldest members overall! I struggle constantly with feelings of inadequacy. And then I remember that I am 190+ lbs and nearly 38 years old and the heaviest and oldest girl at my box and I still show up 3 days a week and work as hard as I am able to work RIGHT NOW.

Trying to compare myself to the other girls on the board is pointless for me right now, so I have to remember that the only person I should be competing with is myself. It's VERY easy to see your name up on that board with all the others and think that you need to compete with them. Guess what? You DON'T. And you SHOULDN'T!

As you stated in your OP, you know that you are making progress. Continue to focus on that (easier said than done, I know) and as wswilliams67 said...JUST KEEP WODDING!!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Also, this:
    If you started out with two knee pushups 4 months ago and now you are up to 20, I say that's awesome progress! Keep up the good work!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything new to add on top of what the other folks have already said--you've made significant progress so far, and as you continue with this you will continue to see more gains. I know it's frustrating when you see other folks do amazing things and make them look easy, but you'll get there!
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When i did my first introductory class we did the following workout:

500m row
    40 air squats
    30 sit ups
    20 push ups
    10 pull ups.

I did the push ups from my knees and ring rows for the pull ups.

I was in Saturday to do our Friday WOD (box squats) and saw the baseline WOD on the boards (the intro class is Saturday at 11am) and thought "I'll give that a go just to see where I stand."

First time it took me 11 minutes+. This time was 6:30 and I feel like I could have squeezed out another 10-20 seconds if I really pushed harder.

Then I did a 1000m row afterwards just to make it feel like a tougher workout.

Crossfit WORKS. No question about it.

That was the exact baseline I did for my first time. I did it in 13:08. I honestly don't know how I did it, but I know afterward I couldn't walk or move for almost a full week!

Since this is a higher level baseline than before, I'm going to just put my head down and power through. There have been times I've shocked myself at being able to complete a WOD, and I'm hoping this is one of them.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. Community is one of the BEST things about crossfit.
  • georgie304
    Options
    Measured improvement is all that matters. Why stress about what has yet to come.. it doesn't change anything.

Take pride in how far you've come. You are freakin awesome. Most would never even attempt CF.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I suggest picking a day next week and doing that original baseline. You'll be amazed how much better you are and that you will be tired at the end, but not wrecked like you were the first time.