What a diffe __ lbs makes when I __! Fill in the blanks.

Options
bird5027
bird5027 Posts: 37 Member
Good morning Group! I just wanted to share my experience with everyone today. Just before joining the 100+ lb group in mid-August, I had finished up playing in a coed basketball league with some of my old high school team mates and some other friends. We had a total of 9 people on my team which meant that we got plenty of rest during the games since for each team only 5 people can play at one time. I topped the scale at 304 at that time and during the game I was completely out of breath and could hardly keep up the speed of the game and shortly after each game and the days following, I hurt so badly I was in tears. I went to my doctor and he advised me not to play for a while and work on my weight. I absolutely love to play, it was a way of life for me since age 8 and to give it up was unheard of.:sad: But I did, per doctor's orders. Since joining the group I have managed to lose 20 lbs (give or take) and man oh man what a difference it has made when I'm playing basketball. Last night I played my first game since the last league ended. I played the entire 40 minute game. Not out of breath and without being able to rest because we only had 5 people. I'm not going to lie and say that I am not sore, because I sure am, but this is a different kind of sore. The type of soreness that I have now is because I haven't played or exercised in really over a month. I feel great and so much better than I did a month ago. I wanted to share this but I also wanted to say thank you to every one of you who are leading the pack by example (Dan, the melting man, M(ark)23prime, to name a few) and anyone who has posted a great job or a WTG or a note reminding me to take care of myself when I was working crazy hours (Givens!) keeping me in line and caring about me. Thank you so much. Please share what a difference your weight loss has made on your life.

Replies

• Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    That was a great read! You've done such a good job so far and it's awesome to see the results showing already! *cheers*
  • bird5027
    bird5027 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pidge! You girls and guys are awesome! I'm looking forward to the rest of our journey together! Cheers indeed !:drinker:
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story!

And I KNOW what you are talking about!

I am making a very different kind of progress as I move out of the 300s into the 200s (with an eye to a healthy 195ish)

Unlike you, I have been sedentary most of my life. So in three months I have gone from barely even being to limp to the store, to attending the rec center nearly every day. And while I will never be (nor would I want to be) one of Those gym guys, I can DO stuff now that I NEVER thought I could do.

I have energy. AND I have PLANS for a future fitter me! Not just idle fancies, or wishes, but concrete plans and objectives for work and travel over the next six months that were UNTHINKABLE six months ago.

So right back at you Bird! :drinker:
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Bird, THANK YOU for that great uplifting story. I needed a shot like that right now. I'm fighting so many battles right now, and reading things like this brings a little light into my gloom again.

With all my troubles exercise has dropped to very low levels. I need to change that, but I'm so mentally exhausted that I just want to sleep, but I have too much on my mind to sleep well right now.

I'm focusing on trying to keep my eating in line so I don't lose the whole thing. Sometimes we have to take a step back and concentrate on one or two things until we can get back in the swing.

Like Mark, my wife and I have actually started planning for vacations I would never have considered a year ago. Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Canada, who knows where else? The current funk will abate, and these will still be out there as great rewards for continuing the loss.

Enjoy your roundball! Thank you again for your support. This really is a great bunch. It troubles me how much the posting has dropped off, but then I'm not posting as much either, so there we go.

Keep it going. Twenty pounds feels this good, imagine forty and beyond!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Thanks bird for that great share! I love that you can do something you love again!

I have lost 10 lbs and have not noticed much that way but have noticed changes in my overall tolerance level, carrying laundry on the stairs, running up stairs, walking with the kids doesn't hurt as much! Just over all feeling better!

Your story was very inspiring though because there is so much more I wish I could do again! thanks for sharing!
  • Junie2013
    Options
    GREAT post!!! Thanks for sharing - it means so much to me to read everyone's stories. :flowerforyou:
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yay, Bird! I'm sure you must be so happy to be feeling so much better. I think a lot of us could use that motivational boost right now, I know my September has been, well, hectic and unfocused.

Dward - sounds like you need a hug *HUGS*. I hope that everything works itself out for you soon!

For me, the difference 36 lbs has made is that my knees don't give out on the walk to and from the lunchroom at work anymore, and I don't get all out of breath getting there or back! I can do a lot more things that I couldn't before, but that's the thing I notice every day.