How far out and how is your sleeve?

Options
I am 14 months out and have lost a total of 102 lbs including pre-op diet. I have been losing and gaining the same 4 lbs since spring. I was falling into all my old habibs and could eat a lot. In the last 2 weeks I have started to practice mindful eating and stay on my food plan or at least close to it. I am jnow 2 lbs over my lowest weight but my personal goal is still another 45 bls or so. Did anybody else have this kind of stall?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years out and 75 pounds from my "ideal" weight. I am losing on average about 2 pounds a month, slower than the 4 pounds a month my nutritionist said I should be losing, But I am still losing. And yes, I will lose a pound, gain 2, lose the 2 and then a week or so later lose another. It's frustrating! But again, in the overall, I am still going down.

I still can't eat what I consider a lot of food at one sitting, but I can eat more than I did at the beginning. Carbs like crackers, go down much easier and don't fill me hardly at all, so I can really go over on those! What I do is measure and weigh everything I eat. I don't eyeball anything. And if the serving is 6 crackers, I take 6 and put the box away. It's the only way I can stay on track.

4 ounces of meat (chicken, pork, beef, fish) will fill me so much that I rarely have room for more than a couple of bites of salad or vegtable along with it. Forget about bread, potatoes, rice, etc. There's just not enough room after the protein. Ground meats are easier and don't fill as much, so I can eat more salad or vegtable.

I know it's a daily decision to stay on track, drink all your water (and then someif you can) and exercise, but it's necessary if we are going to lose it and keep it off. It's hard, but you can do this!
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Surgery was three years ago on June 11th. I never had a stall, but the entire time I was losing, it was the up one or two, down one or two. Up and down, it was just the way I lost!
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I am almost a year and a half out. I was sleeved June 14th, 2012. I go through periods where I gain the same few pounds, but I adjust my calorie intake up or my protein levels up to shock my body back into shape. :) Keep strong!
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had my surger 5/28/13, so I'm 4 months out. I'm down 102 pounds and now losing at 2 pounds a week, much, much slower than my MD thinks I should (he says 5-7 a week is where I should be). I weigh and measure everything, eat only protien and veggies, diary everything that goes into my mouth, get all my fluids, and take my vites. I exercise 3-5x a week. I have hit several stalls that lasted 1-3 weeks. It's VERY frustrating to do all the right things and still be here. That said, I'll take 2 pounds a week over where I was 6 months ago (when I started the pre-op diet). Keep at it, you will see success again!
  • kfalcon23
    kfalcon23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 4 weeks out from surgery. My surgery date was 8/30/13. I am down 40 pounds all together including pre-op diet.

So far, I am happy I had my sleeve, but battling with constant hunger. It also seems my stomach is bigger than most people's after this surgery, and I have to really be mindful not to overeat.

I am hoping this gets better. I don't want to be the one person this doesn't work for. :(
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am seven weeks out am down 50lbs pre-op to now. It worried me to be back on solids afraid old habits would come back. I realize that most days I'm not even tempted to eat those things but I would live one taste of coke zero. I hope to lose another 80lbs making my lose 104lbs to reach my goal. My starting weight was 354. I feel so great having lost the 50lbs I was able to paint my own toes last week. I am happy to say this was a great decision for me and hope to obtain my goal in a reasonable amount if time.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    My 1 year surgiversary is next month (November) so I am no expert, but definitely experienced with this sleeve thing :)
    I have lost 94 lbs, hoping I hit 100 by my anniversary.

I notice when I don't eat right or drink too much alcohol I do the 2 pound dance (losing and gaining the same 2 lbs for weeks )
    With that said, if you have increased your protein, increased your exercise or adjusted your calories and still play with the same 4 pounds then it sounds to me like your body is where it wants to be. Not saying you can't lose that 45 pounds, but its probably going to take some serious effort like running / lifing weights
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am 19 days out and 11 pounds. I have my post op appt today. So far I am very happy with the surgery:drinker:
  • therejohn
    Options
    Ask you doc how big your stomach is. He/she should be able to tell you. I would also ask if he/she removed the portion which contains your hunger hormones. It may be "head" hunger rather than physical hunger.
  • therejohn
    Options
    Ask you doc how big your stomach is. He/she should be able to tell you. I would also ask if he/she removed the portion which contains your hunger hormones. It may be "head" hunger rather than physical hunger.
  • kenmj11
    kenmj11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your surgeon sounds a bit extreme! 5-7 a week???? that in a month is what my surgeon expects. Even 4-5 a month now that I am over 6 months out. first 3 months was 10 a month or 2.5 a week.
  • kenmj11
    kenmj11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    (my question/reply was for therejohn - i am not sure how to do the reply! I was just surprised that 5-7 a week was expected - except for maybe the first month)

In my case I am almost 7 months out and down 70 from surgery and 88 overall. Losing 1-2 a week (hopefully!")
  • janflobar
    janflobar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My surgery is coming up and I am excited and nervous. Hopeful that I will be able to follow a new way of eating and that I will have no bad side effects from the surgery. Would love to be able to have friends who have been through this also. Currently on my 14 day liquid diet, any suggestions for food (liquid) would be greatly appreciated.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For Janflobar:

yay for you! An exciting time for you, no doubt! There is wonderful support here on MFP for those who have had WLS. Stay away from the general discussion baords and seek out those specific to WLS, though!

My doc didn't require a liquid pre-op! He's been doing these forever and really has fine-tuned the process - I lost my 5% pre-op wieght and only did liquids the day before surgery. He finds that strict compliance with the South Beach Phase 1 plan shrinks the liver as much as 100% liquids. No drains either. It was heaven! So, unable to give you much help with the liquid diet ideas. Sorry!

Regardless, always do what YOUR surgeon recommends. Good luck and you're gonna LOVE this way of life!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @ Therejohn.... Wow - that does sound like a very extreme expectation from your doc! IMO you are doing fabulous! Especially as you are about 2/3 of the way to your goal.
    I had my surger 5/28/13, so I'm 4 months out. I'm down 102 pounds and now losing at 2 pounds a week, much, much slower than my MD thinks I should (he says 5-7 a week is where I should be). I weigh and measure everything, eat only protien and veggies, diary everything that goes into my mouth, get all my fluids, and take my vites. I exercise 3-5x a week. I have hit several stalls that lasted 1-3 weeks. It's VERY frustrating to do all the right things and still be here. That said, I'll take 2 pounds a week over where I was 6 months ago (when I started the pre-op diet). Keep at it, you will see success again!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My 1 year surgiversary is next month (November) so I am no expert, but definitely experienced with this sleeve thing :)
    I have lost 94 lbs, hoping I hit 100 by my anniversary.

I notice when I don't eat right or drink too much alcohol I do the 2 pound dance (losing and gaining the same 2 lbs for weeks )
    With that said, if you have increased your protein, increased your exercise or adjusted your calories and still play with the same 4 pounds then it sounds to me like your body is where it wants to be. Not saying you can't lose that 45 pounds, but its probably going to take some serious effort like running / lifing weights

You are so right. I have been doing that same dance for the past 6 months. I know exactly what I am doing wrong then correct it then start messing up again. At my last appt. with my NUT. she did comment that some people don't ever lose the weight once their bodies get to a comfortable weight no matter what. Those people would have to really step up their game to lose weight and it can be a slow process even then,
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Wow, Therejohn, I have to agree with JuzDuIt on this! I just had my six month check today. The doctor wanted to make my wife and I his poster kids (probably just flattery, but it worked! lol) for losing at the rates we have been. (She has lost 80 in six months, I've dropped 106.) He was not surprised when I mentioned I had a rough month with dropping less than 2 lbs per week, he said the 3 lbs per week I'm expecting may be expecting too much, and that I SHOULD expect the rate to slow although we should be able to lose consistently for the next year still. He expects me to take a year to lose the other half of what he thinks I'll lose. I am shooting for at least 20 - 30 lbs beyond that point. Time will tell.

As for the thread question; My sleeve is great! It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. When I follow the rules for protein and eating, it helps me drop the weight very nicely.

I think you all are doing great, and for those of you just getting started, enjoy this stage. Use it to learn what you need for long term success.
  • suzee279
    Options
    I am 9 months out and have lost 80 lbs post surgery with 27 pre op for a total of 107 lbs. I am still losing but it is in fits and starts, but ends up being a nice downward trajectory still with about 4-5 lbs a month now. I am looking to lose another 40 lbs in the next 9 months to get to my personal target.

My sleeve works really well. I couldn't be more pleased with it!!

Susan
  • MrsGriffin0729
    MrsGriffin0729 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Laine and I am 8.5 weeks post op. I have lost 34lbs since surgery (8/28/13) and a total of 64lbs since February 1, 2013.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    15 days and feeling GREAT! 18 lbs gone since surgery, 31, (and 2 sizes) since my consult about a month ago. Very little pain, only one night in the hospital and returned to work in a week and 1/2! No issues tolerating anything so far, on purees now. I couldn't have asked for better results so far!