Daily Challenge 23-24/09/2013 Water and salt

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
It is POURING rain on the weird coast today.

It is a new week and a new season.

I spent some time snooping in a few diaries...checking out what some of my pals are eating and how they are moving.

And I am pleased to report that, first of all, there are some newly opened diaries--so I have some new insights into some of you. (Funny how you feel closer to people when you know what they are eating every day.) Secondly, that MOST of you are usually well within your calorie goals--which is, obviously, very important to what we are trying to do here.

HOWEVER--I keep seeing some very scary trends in water (lack of) and salt (too much)...

So today and Tuesday are water and salt days!

You are going to drink your water and avoid that salt for a couple of days. (So no Carl Jr's chilli cheese fries...hmmmm?)

Now, really, we should ALL be taking up this challenge EVERYDAY--but I know how hard that is--and I know how discouraging, it can be when the sodium macro is red, day after day after day.

For people with quite a few logged days under their belt, take a look at your sodium report and then look at your weight loss trend report.

The less salt and the more water you take with your food, the steadier your weight loss will be.

We have a few Water gods amongst us. Mike--could you tell the viewers at home HOW you manage to incorporate so much water into your day?

Or if anybody has some tricks or habits they use to get more water in and keep the salt out, please share them here.

Good logging and good luck.

Mark

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    The only way I could match Mike for water stats is to fall into a fresh water reservoir and drink my way out...

Still and all, it is important so let's all give it our best shot!

As for salt, I have found only one answer: Don't eat processed food or dine out. As an example, the soup I had for lunch today had at least 30% of my daily salt requirements, quite probably more.

Do your own cooking using fresh ingredients and you can beat the sodium. When dining on the road, go with salads as your best course.

Realize there are days that you will have that sodium in the RED, just work on keeping it green more often than not. In this too, moderation rules.
  • m23prime
    Options
    Dan knows his stuff people.

He is our first group member to hit that magic 100 pound milestone (though not the last!)--so that gives him a certain amount of "cred", as the kids used to say before grown-ups pointlessly co-oped the expression forcing the kids to come up with something new and entirely incomprehensible.

Our dward59 is also a pretty smart guy in his own right. He's got a family, a real job, AND a life. YET, he still manages to log carefully every day, and exercises both regularly and enthusiastically. It takes brains and willpower to get and stay balanced in a life like that.

He is worth listening to.

Oh...and he's also a really nice guy and a DANG fine Fitness Pal.

So there, nyah!:bigsmile:
  • Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Aw, I'm feeling the 100+ group love. I actually missed this yesterday so I'll be extra careful today and tomorrow instead. I STILL struggle a lot with drinking so much water so I can't get enough of these challenges to help me remember. My salt levels are usually fine on days where I stay in and cook my own meals but it does get very high when I go out for a meal but luckily that probably only happens about once a week, phew :P
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Why must I hate water!! I am watching this today, I may have been missing for 4ish days!

I have sworn to bring my water bottle back to work now I must follow through
  • dinobunni
    Options
    I drink a good amount of water myself. :) At least 72oz a day. My sodium goes over a lot though... not by much but still.
  • dinobunni
    Options
    Well the day is over! My sodium didn't go over, it's actually 663g under! That makes up for the 26g over yesterday right? xD I've already had 9 cups of water but I'm going to refill my water bottle before bed and I usually drink another 2 over night.
  • m23prime
    Options
    Well the day is over! My sodium didn't go over, it's actually 663g under! That makes up for the 26g over yesterday right?

I believe the expression is that "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades," but personally, I believe the maxim could easily be expanded to include thermonuclear weapons and sodium macros.

From where I sit (on M-113) 26mg over on a 2500mg ration is still a green day.

It's the 3000-4000-5000mg days that give me pause--and they are exactly the sort of days you get living out of boxes, bags, tins, and microwavable convenience packs.

To sustain that kind of sodium overdose you must be young, well hydrated and living a VERY active lifestyle. SIGH...I was never any of those things and look where all that salt got me... :cry:

But seriously, dinobunni, sounds to me like you got this. Your profile goals and posted water habits leave you in good stead.

And once you get into that 30 minute, four times a week exercise groove, and stick with it for a while, and the habit kicks in...watch out!

Thanks a lot for joining in!
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You are going to drink your water and avoid that salt for a couple of days. (So no Carl Jr's chilli cheese fries...hmmmm?)

Totally JUST saw this. Thanks for calling me out. I know my sodium intake is HORRIBLE this week... That sodium *kitten* and I do not get along. Or maybe we get along too well? Who knows.

I do love drinking water. So that's something.
  • dinobunni
    Options
    And once you get into that 30 minute, four times a week exercise groove, and stick with it for a while, and the habit kicks in...watch out!

Thanks a lot for joining in!

I've never been as active or healthy as I would like either... but I'm trying to change early on so the rest of my life is better! Now that I look through the last week and a half of my diary, I guess my sodium hasn't been too bad. :) I can't imagine what it was like when I was eating fast food every day. I loved me chili cheese fries too! My sugar is pretty awful though. I have a terrible sweet tooth and if I go a day without sweets, I crave it reeeaaally bad the next day. I have a bag of caramels in a drawer somewhere in my room lol. They're actually helpful because since they're so disgustingly sweet, one or two make me happy versus a whole candy bar. ;)

I'm excited to get start exercising more. I hope you're right. Thanks again!
  • m23prime
    Options

Totally JUST saw this. Thanks for calling me out. I know my sodium intake is HORRIBLE this week... That sodium *kitten* and I do not get along. Or maybe we get along too well? Who knows.

tee hee... * sheepish grin * * wee friendly hug of support *
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Me, too for just seeing this thread. Anyway, I am going to just use this as my today/tomorrow challenge, especially the water part, since I try to watch the sodium anyway. I am not a fan of swelling ankles and feet!

One of my favourite ways to reduce sodium is to use is unsalted butter or margarine, it's amazing how much salt you cut out with that one simple switch. I use butter because I much prefer the taste and texture, and calorie-for-calorie it's close to the same, but I used to use margarine, and the unsalted did taste better than the salted. And for a lot of things I now use coconut oil, because yum.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water.... about 3 liters every day, sometimes more, depending on how hard I exercise... I also keep my sodium very low since I tend to retain water easily... I have eggs every morning, without salt and try to not add any extra salt to my chicken, for example... And since I cook all the time and avoid processed foods as much as I can, then I keep my sodium under control