How much did you gain during your first trimester?

Options
I am currently pregnant with baby #2. I have my first appointment on September 26th, and because I am having back-to-back pregnancies, I don't have an EDD, yet. However, I am guessing I am between 6-8 weeks pregnant. I've already put on 5 pounds! Is this because it is baby #2, or what?

This is my most recent picture. I've gone from flat to just that tiny bump. Is it normal? Thanks guys!

2q1c3f8.jpg

Replies

• hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me! :heart:
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Your stomach muscles haven't had time to recover and are still slack, so you will show a lot quicker. Your weight gain may be related to hormones and your body telling you to take on more supplies as you have a small baby to look after and are trying to build a new baby too, as well as look after yourself. I would have been more surprised if you hadn't had any significant weight gain. However, I wouldn't expect you to continue to gain rapidly and I'm sure you'll gain a normal amount in the end as long as you look out for yourself and eat right. Just make sure you are consuming enough calories so you can rule out your body storing extra because it's not getting enough on a daily basis.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bump :frown:
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm a first-time mom so I doubt my answer is relevant... During my 1st trimester I was on support meds (progesterone and estrogen) and gained/lost the same 5-6 lbs over and over again. It was pure bloat. Within a few days of going off of the support meds, I was at my pre-pregnancy weight. I didn't start gaining until closer to 14-16 weeks. I actually wore maternity bands and unbuttoned pants from about 5-12 weeks, then went back to buttoning even my skinniest jeans until about 15 weeks.

That being said, I am now 30 weeks and up 20+ lbs. And I still "barely" show (I have a bit of a belly, but many people I don't see often who don't know I'm pregnant don't suspect it and don't "see it" until after I've told them.). My OBGYN used to comment that I have "abs of steel under the layer of fat" and I suspect they haven't totally degraded yet.

The majority of my friends had earlier gains early on in pregnancy with #2 (and beyond) but then it tapered off. I would suspect as long as you're eating well and exercising you likely have nothing to be concerned about.
  • SamanthaAnneTowler
    Options
    I'm a second time mom and my little girl is 2. I'll be finishing up my first trimester this coming Sunday and so far I have gained 11.4 pounds but we found out we're pregnant with twins at an early 8 week scan. I have my dating scan today to see how they are both doing and find out what kind they are. So excited and nervous at the same time. My weight gain is definitely alot of bloat, combination of two babies and sadly with two babies i was absolutely knackered and my exercise was limited for a few weeks. Also had extreme nausea from 5-9 weeks and it's coming and going now but not as bad. I've also had a ton of craving so far and I have to say that they way I prefer to eat just doesn't totally appeal to me atm, hoping it settles and I can eat better as I want to eat healthier from here in but I am not as concerned with my weight gain atm as it's hard to gauge with two babies. So will just concentrate on what I'm eating not how much and listen to my body from here on in. I think KCasey hit it right on the head with your situation and why you are showing and have gained so much right off. Just do your best to eat healthy and keep yourself moving as best you can and you will be fine.
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is my third child. I'm 2 days away from finishing my first trimester. My first two are now 8 and 6. To date, I've lost 8 pounds, but that's been typical of my pregnancies. With my first child I was 19 pounds lighter weighed after birth than pre-pregnancy weight. My second child I was 11 pounds under pre-pregnancy after delivery.

It's not all hearts, flowers and rainbows to be under your pre-pregnancy weight. I was sick for 7 months and 6 months, vomiting several times a day. This pregnancy seems better than my 2nd (just as my 2nd was better than my 1st), so we'll see! I'm hoping for only being sick 5 months!
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd child. My 1st is 14 so it's like starting all over... Not sure how much I gained with the first one in the first trimester, but am keeping track with this one... According to my pregnancy tracker on my phone I am up 4.6lbs as of last Sunday. I am 13 weeks and 4 days. I wear maternity pants to be more comfortable but am still wearing my regular shirts.

Feel free to add me!! :)

I have my calories on maintenance and try to walk 3 - 4 times per week for at least 1.0 mile each walk...
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks with #3 right now. With my 1st I easily gained 10 lbs in the 1st trimester (60 total). With my 2nd I gained about 3 in the first trimester (24 total), but showed much quicker than the 1st. Now this one I haven't gained anything yet.

Edited to add - each of my pregnancies were about 2 yrs apart. Being back to back, your body hasn't fully recovered from the last pregnancy, so it may be a little harder on you.
  • Jem411
    Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am currently 27 weeks with my second and I gained a good 10 lbs in my first Tri. I seemed to gain instantly with this one. With my first, I didn't really gain much in the beginning and ended up putting on around 40 lbs (lost it all within 9 months).

With this one I am up around 23 lbs, so far. For a few months during my second Tri, I was putting on around 6-7 lbs a month and have now slowed down to 2-3 lbs a month. We will see!
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I lost 5kgs in my first trimester. :(
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 kg in the first trimester but had gained them back by the end of that trimester. Then at the start of my second I immediately gaines 2,5kg more.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm a FTM just coming to the end of my first trimester. I lost 5lbs. OB isn't worried and says its normal to lose or gain in the first trimester and that for most women weight gain kind of evens out by the end of the second trimester.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm a FTM just coming to the end of my first trimester. I lost 5lbs. OB isn't worried and says its normal to lose or gain in the first trimester and that for most women weight gain kind of evens out by the end of the second trimester.

THIS. My doctor said the same thing. I gained 8lbs but in the first 11weeks but haven't gained anything in the last 3 (I'm 14 weeks now). That being said, I've been feeling better, my cravings have been more towards fruit, and I've been working out 3x/week.