Daily Challenge 25/09/2013--Fall Exercise

Options
m23prime
m23prime Posts: 358 Member
Welcome back to the show.

SO TODAY...

Now that fall has kicked in and the weather is poised to, if not quite turn nasty, then at least turn away from the pleasantness(ish) that is summer, it is time to make some more plans...

My doctor said there was no such thing as bad exercise weather, only bad exercise clothing, and while he might be technically correct, walkies in the wet and cold and dark and ice and snow and wind and oobleck of a Canadian winter, can be both completely miserable and slightly dangerous, no matter how good your kit.

So I am making a transition to the rec center. I have a 90 day pass, and a network of people who know what they are doing that I can ask for help. My confidence is surprisingly high that I am not going to lose any of the momentum I fought so hard for all summer.

YOUR CHALLENGE...

...is to share how you are going to adapt your exercise habits and routines to a new season.

or

If you haven't got an exercise habit or routine yet, now's your chance to plan one.

Post your ideas below.

Replies

• slh0307
    slh0307 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great challenge!

It has been raining all day for 4 days here in "Sunny" Florida so I have been doing my indoor DVD workout.

Here in the deep, tropical south we stay inside during the summer to avoid heatstroke and bugs! I have been to Rhode Island in January and it was scary walking on ice covered pavement, so I know what you mean about danger. This is difficult enough without throwing an injury into the routine!

Gym sounds like a great idea! I like my in home tapes/DVDs! I love group fitness and when I get my first one hundred off I promise myself to seek out a class of some sort like dance, cardio or yoga.

When it does get cooler and I can get out and walk, I always keep my head/ears covered and make sure to drink plenty of water.
    I love it when the air is crisp, not muggy, and cool even in the sunshine! The cooler, dryer air is very energizing.

Be careful my polar fitness pals! :smile:
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Living in the Dominican Republic, that's not an issue LOL Here is hot all year with some months of "even hotter"... we are currently in the "hot as hell" kind of season, which is weird because it's usually "not so hot" in September. I go for a run outside two to three times a week (the rest of the week I run on the treadmill). Now that is hotter I just run early in the morning or after the sun goes down...
  • dinobunni
    Options
    I live in southern California and it's been really hot all summer. I didn't want to go outside lol. Now that it's cooling down I'm trying to get out more. I'm walking to pick up my little brother when I can, instead of driving.
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    well, i'm in Michigan so the weather is starting to turn here. september and october are my favorite months so i plan on walking and riding my bike outside for as long as i can.

i go to my gym on monday, tuesday and friday right now and once winter sets in i will add thursday. i walk on the treadmill (working my way up to a mile) and do aquacize on mon and fri and walk on the treadmill and swim laps on tues and will add that to thurs. so i think i am set for the winter weather change.

the problem i will face is that i hate winter, i hate being cold, i hate going out in the cold and my arthritis is always worse in the winter. so motivation might be my biggest adversary. so if you all see me lacking in jan, feb, march, april-just give me a kick in the butt!

jackie
  • m23prime
    Options
    SUPER! I am really glad to see that people are thinking about how their routines will need to adjust (start forming) around the change in the weather.

But ...um...BTL..DON'T wait for that 100 pound mark.

Call your rec center today--and find out when they have their no-hopers classes.

I told my local center that I was old, obese, and grumpy, and that if I HAD to exercise in public, I wanted to do so with OTHER old, obese, and grumpy people.

Turns out we are legion and our rec center had LOTS of options. Now my only regret was waiting until I was 50 lbs down to make that call.
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Fall is actually my favourite time of year, so I'm excited to enjoy the next few weeks of cooler weather before the real snowy mess kicks in. My plan is to get up a little earlier and go for a walk every day before work, starting Friday (today I slept in :ohwell: , and tomorrow, I have lunch at my mom's, because my aunt is coming over). On rainy days I am going to start the easier-sounding of the two "Walk at Home" dvd's my mom's friend got me, so that by the time it's full-on winter, I can start the harder-sounding one.

I like this challenge, because it's making me think through what my plan to be more active is going to be, and seeing it written down like that is giving me a little motivation kick all on its own. It's also nice to see what everyone else does in all the far-away places, where you have to deal with heat not snow.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love fall... I can go outside indefinitely without having to worry about heat stroke for me and the kids. The trees are fabulous around here for the next month so its lovely and the air is crisp. School has started and because of the age of my kids I make the km trek to and from school everyday 3x. lol! I am trying to do it either by biking or walking. I'm going to try to keep this up until it becomes bitter cold and dangerous.... we'll see. My pool is in maintenance till mid November, so until it opens my membership is on hold.
    Then I'll be back on the treadmill, quick circuit training and swimming routine. I love swimming and my gym has child minding for the hour and a half I can work out.
  • m23prime
    Options
    I love fall... I can go outside indefinitely without having to worry about heat stroke for me and the kids. The trees are fabulous around here for the next month so its lovely and the air is crisp.

While I must concede that the North Saskatchewan River valley IS the most beautiful place on earth in fall, I must debate your assertion that it lasts a month.

Edmonton Fall is an almost terrifyingly pleasant weekend in early-October followed by a windy night, endless picking up of leaves, bare trees, brown grass, and gray and blue skies until the snow flies a week or so later.

But I sure do like to walk in the river valley during that aforementioned, awe-inspiringly beautiful weekend before the wind.:smile:
  • katelynal
    Options
    My exercise of choice is tennis. Here in north Alabama, the USTA leagues are played outdoors and continue till about the first week of December. I will switch over to my elliptical when the weather is too bad to play tennis :) I have to be honest - I enjoy playing tennis so much that it doesn't seem fair to call it exercise! We are also assembling a small workout room in our office with a recumbent bike/treadmill/etc. which should be very helpful to keep exercising through the inclement weather.

Forgot to add that 'spring' leagues start back in mid-February :laugh:
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Well the weather here in Hawaii stays about the same all year, so I dont have any problems there. But staying on track with my fitness with all the holidays coming up will be a challenge... So my plan is to make sure I'm getting to the gym at least 4-5 times a week. And I am going to make goals to work towards so I dont lose focus. My newest goal is to lose 15lbs by halloween so I can were a cute costume :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Katlyn - I've lived through a southern winter = Ice storms. I think you have a sound plan. Welcome to the group and best of luck!

Malia - keep rolling with the gym and I'm sure you will do great. I thought your Halloween costume was that small towel!?!! (Great NSV btw!)

As for me. I'm hanging on by my fingernails. I'm doing the short walks at work, but gym time has slid. I'm taking what I can as a win now, but Mark you are correct. I have got to either dig out the old DVD's soon or get back into the rhythm of the gym!

P1xy, please advise of that weekend of which Mark speaks. Gotta plan these future vacations well! lol (Don't let him get away with the cheap shots like that. He'll think he's won...) :D

Cary, good point on planning ahead. Better we plan and do, than wait and work on 12 oz curls all winter...

Great posts everyone!
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hey Mark, no bursting my optimistic bubble. :tongue: I am hoping fall will last till Halloween, so I don't have to go trick or treating in the snow. And don't tell everyone... it scares the tourists. :)
    P.S. Hope you're enjoying all that rain! :laugh:
  • mdgivens
    mdgivens Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here in central Maryland, we usually don't start getting snow until mid-to-late December. It just gets cold, windy, and rainy. So I should be good with my morning fasted walking/running for the most part. When it does snow, I can hit up the C2 in the garage gym for some AM fasted rowing. I do my lifting in the garage as well. Now, It can get mighty cold in there, but that's what sweatpants, hoodies, and working harder are for. That, or springing for a heater and a fan to circulate the warm air.

In any light, I've got this 5K coming up in mid-November, where my wife and I will be running and pushing our kids in a jogging stroller. If not dying during the run isn't a good enough motivator to keep it moving during Fall, then I don't know what is.
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Here in WA, I have to battle the rain this time of year. Thankfully I'm in eastern WA, so a lot of precipitation gets dumped west of the mountains before it has a chance to reach here, so it's not quite as bad as it could be.

Anyways, I want to keep walking as long as I can, as I actually enjoy it. I am picking up a resistance band, so I will also start doing resistance training using it daily.

When the weather drops to the point where it's not feasible to walk outside, I will be relying on the multitude of workout videos available on the interwebs to keep me up and moving!

I wish I could afford a gym membership, and maybe when I find work I will be able to, but for now it's just not within our budget.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    I thought I answered yesterday, but I didn't so... I am saving up my pennies to buy a treadmill so that I can use my living room, although we plan to get a family gym membership in the next month my lifestyle does not allow for a lot of gym time between my full time job full time kids and part time kids I just can't get there! I can make the time for me it's just that it is illegal to leave your 8 to home alone and it's against the rules to bring him into the big part of the gym with me so basically I get my home that's why I'm saving for a treadmill too!

So my plan is a treadmill and any chance I get at the gym! And I always have my laps at work, long hallways are a great thing, but I do need to step it up some
  • MsNYCteach20
    MsNYCteach20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In the fall, I like to go walking in Central Park or some of the smaller parks near me. When it is cold, I don't go outside cause the cold air makes my chest tight and my asthma starts acting up...so I could walk outside but I'm not trying to have an asthma attack in a park lol
    So I do have my Jillian Michaels Body Revolution DVDs, Zumba DVDs, Brazillian butt lift videos to keep me toasty in the house to continue to burn fat
  • m23prime
    Options
    I love all the responses we are getting here.

I am going to keep this thread pinned for a while longer.

Good ideas are being shared, and idle thoughts are becoming concrete.

Keep thinking about your exercise plans.

Keep moving!