nmication and weight

Options
missrat
missrat Posts: 37 Member
I wonder if any more of you are on the similar 'cocktail' to me. All can lead to weight gain or increased appetite:

pregabalin - for pain and anxiety

nortriptyline - for pain and depression (similar to amitriptyline

prednisolone - for polymyalgia rheumatica.

Ann

Replies

• Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been on pregabalin for over 6 years now for pain control and while it helps no end with keeping me functioning I noticed my weight creep up a few months after starting it. I know my appetite definitely increased - not as a side effect as such just that I was no longer in so much pain that keeping food down wasnt so much of a battle anymore.

One day I hope to be off it. Til then I know I'll just have to work harder to shift the weight.

Hope you don't struggle too much to get to your goal.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on Lyrica/pregabalin and Cymbalta/duloxetine - I definitely think they've contributed to my recent weight gain and increased appetite.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well I am on mood stabilizers for my Bipolar ,but they are the only medications used for the chronic pain of Atypical Neuralgia. Been on them for years. Also on medication for anxiety and other things like a biggie for me is for my thyroid...........causes a lot of weight gain so all in all I would say a lot of my struggles to lose come from these. I keep looking at the fact that the healthy eating and exercise is a good lifestyle to live for me even if I don't see a huge shift in my weight.
  • ASchnadelbach
    Options
    I'm on Lyrica- for fibro, and Abilify- for bipolar. Both cause weight gain and increased appetite. But I am determined to lose weight- not gain it. So far, I have managed to maintain my weight. I hope that "clean eating" and added exercise will cause me to lose weight.
  • rostraqueen
    Options
    I was on pregabalin for a year and a half (until about 4 months ago when I got switched to some different stuff) and I think it definitely increased my appetite and I did gain weight. I used to find eating sugar-free mints curbed my appetite.
    When I stopped the pregabalin, I went through a withdrawal phase despite weaning off it slowly and had nausea and a complete lack of appetite for about 2 weeks after my last tablet. I couldn't face the smell of my fruity shampoo let alone proper food! I just ate really bland stuff when I felt up to it, like rice cakes.
    Anyway, gradually my appetite did come back and is now back to normal.
    Just thought I'd share that because there are always other options your GP might offer you, but they're not for everyone, it's something to bear in mind. I didn't stop it because of the weight gain, but it was more effective than what I now take.