My CF gym!

Options
My CF box was on Good Morning America this morning on a piece about the whole Rhabdo controversy:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/crossfit-linked-potentially-fatal-condition-rhabdomyolysis-20380676

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I get tired of hiring about how dangerous Crossfit is almost any time you do any sort of physical activity there is a risk of injury. I find the ones who get hurt the most as well are the ones who may have never played a sport in a high school or been extremely inactive. I know this one person who has a dislocated shoulder and a hurt Achilles, but they still want to crossfit. I tell them all the time not to do it let your body rest. You normally get hurt or injured when you stop listening to your body you have to know when to RX, when not when to drop weight we to scale back. I just wish people would see that it isn't just crossfit that leads to injuries.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's all about personal responsibility. People get rhabdo in football, olympic lifting, etc and no one sensationalizes that. Despite the sensationalized title, the clip shed a positive light overall on the controversy.

I was just pumped to see my CF box, coaches and fellow athletes featured in the clip!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Man, haters gonna hate (and often bring up rhabdo....)
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This article sums up what crossfit is really about and was written in response to the rhabdo article that came out. Pretty cool story

http://www.competeeveryday.com/2013/09/crossfitters-eat-young-time/
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Annual US fatalities due to crossfit-induced rhabdomyolysis: 0 (high end)

Annual US fatalities due to obesity: 280,000 (low end)

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10546692
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The problem is Rhabdo strikes all kinds of sports... especially endurance peeps like marathoners and ironmen. The key to preventing it is hydration before, during and after. I actually had to post something on my FB wall and ask people to stop sending me Rhabdo articles.

Yes it's a real possibility, but then again so is a heart attack or brain aneurism...
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cool that your box was featured! But I really dislike the way that TV news magazine-shows do stories. It's always about the shocking headline and the tease. Then when the story comes on, it's 30 seconds long with a lot of sound bites - no substance at all.

I think it's really crappy the way that CF was singled out for this story and features one person who had a problem. What I would really like to know is *what*, specifically she did to get injured that way. They shouldn't paint the entire CF community to be the problem based on what happened to this one person when there are thousands doing CF with nothing but benefits. Stupid media - they just want to sensationalize everything.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This article sums up what crossfit is really about and was written in response to the rhabdo article that came out. Pretty cool story

http://www.competeeveryday.com/2013/09/crossfitters-eat-young-time/

Great article. Great response!
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Agreed! The media is distorting what CF really is and is sensationalizing anything they can get their hands on to try to prove a point that has no merit. A lot of my friends who have never done CF think it's some sort of crazy, dangerous workout routine because of the way it is portrayed in the media. I tell them to come with me to check it out and see for themselves, but they are just so turned off by what they 'think' it is. Ugh!

I was just pumped to see my CF gym on national TV :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Very cool that your gym was on national TV!

I think part of the reason why people tear down CF is because they think it is too hard and are just looking for an excuse not to try it.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ah, love the "professor of physical therapy" who looks like he has never seen a gym at all a day in his life.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The only guy in our gym who has told me that he's had it got it when he was a plebe at the Naval Acadamy. He claims it's almost impossible to push yourself that hard. Your body will just stop unless there is someone there screaming at you to keep going.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The only guy in our gym who has told me that he's had it got it when he was a plebe at the Naval Acadamy. He claims it's almost impossible to push yourself that hard. Your body will just stop unless there is someone there screaming at you to keep going.

I agree. I bet most people would QUIT well before this would happen.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I agree. I bet most people would QUIT well before this would happen.

Especially older guys and gals like us who have something of an athletic background and know enough not to hurt ourselves.