Walk me through it

Options
I found a box near me, looked into their intro classes and have been lurking here trying to pull the trigger but I have yet to really understand what a WOD is and how crossfit works/what it's like so could you guys walk me through what to expect? It sounds like it's a class, but is it like everyone in a room for an hour doing the same thing (WOD?) or more individualized? How do you know what to do? Is there an instructor at the front? How long each day are you there if you go every day? Are these dumb questions? I know not every place is the same but I'd like to know in general what goes on. Thanks!

I'm also about as sedentary as they come and can barely make it up a flight of stairs so am I crazy thinking CF might be that thing I finally like?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Has anyone answered this for you yet?
    Well, if not, here goes:
    The WOD is the Workout Of the Day. It is the routine you do that day. It changes every day. Everyone (who wants to) does this routine that day, and they do it together to push each other, though they are not really competing.
    The routines are usually a group of three or four different exercises that you do a couple of times, and you record your time, or how many you can do, so that next time you can tell if you have improved.
    The routines usually consist of an exercise like deadlifts, then you run around the block, then you do box jumps . . . and then you repeat that three or four times.
    Many of the WODs have names, usually women's names. One of the best known WODs is Fran. In Fran, you alternate doing barbell thrusters (google it if you don't know what these are) and pull-ups. You do 21 reps of each the first time through. Then 15 of each. And, finally, nine of each.
    Many boxes will also have you do an 'activation' exercise before you do the WOD. It is often designed to help you work on a complicated lift, like power cleans, or to work on increasing your strength, by doing something like heavy back squats.
    Few WODs last longer than 20 minutes. But you are usually in the 'box' for about an hour or so, because it is social and you are working on other things, and/or you are doing the 'activation' exercise.
    Somebody correct me if anything i have written is wrong.
    Hope that helps.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That is very helpful, thank you!
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    At my box we do about 15 min warm up, followed by a 15-30 min strength part and we end with the WOD.

The WOD is posted online or written on the whiteboard and is explained at the beginning of the class, usually (or at least at my box) they'll explain/show the different exercises so that everyone knows what to do. The coaches should be walking around to make sure you're using correct form during the exercises, especially while lifting. I'm usually there for about 1 hour.

Apart from some cycling and swimming I was sedentary before I started Crossfit. It's the first workout ever that I enjoy and am actually looking forward to. Also, don't be scared about not being fit or strong enough, they will scale the WOD for you (you can do knee-push-ups instead of regular push-ups, rowing instead of running, etc.) If you think it's something you might like, just give it a try =).
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I found a box near me, looked into their intro classes and have been lurking here trying to pull the trigger but I have yet to really understand what a WOD is and how crossfit works/what it's like so could you guys walk me through what to expect? It sounds like it's a class, but is it like everyone in a room for an hour doing the same thing (WOD?) or more individualized? How do you know what to do? Is there an instructor at the front? How long each day are you there if you go every day? Are these dumb questions? I know not every place is the same but I'd like to know in general what goes on. Thanks!

I'm also about as sedentary as they come and can barely make it up a flight of stairs so am I crazy thinking CF might be that thing I finally like?

My class format is something like this (always with at least one coach leading us through):

1) Warm up
    2) Mobility (stretching, flexibility)
    3) Skill - teaching you how to do the movements in the WOD
    4) WOD. Everyone does the same WOD, but the scaling options are many. For weight work (barbells, kettlebells), you can go up or down as needed. For the gymnastics moves, there are variations the coaches will teach you. For the metcon/cardio...well, you just have to power through.
    5) Cool down

Class lasts an hour. Some people go more than once a day, but that's for the super hardcore. I go five times a week.

Definitely NOT dumb questions! Best way to see how your box will work is to go watch a class. I had the same questions and that's what I did.

And I started from sedentary and LOVE CF. Like, one of the crazy won't shut up about it kind of love. I've been going for 2 months and am only now starting to feel like I'm not last with the least amount of weight on everything, though, so be PATIENT with yourself. CF is hard on the ego sometimes, but it's SO worth it.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    All classes are instructor-led.

The coach will cover each movement of the WOD so you know what to do.

CrossFit uses a combination of Olympic weight lifting movements combined with some gymnastic movements mixed in with cardio/plyometric exercises. The WOD changes daily. The WOD is the workout that everyone does for that day. Classes usually last an hour, but that includes warm-up, skill-training, strength-training, mobility and the WOD. CrossFit is about FITNESS, not being skinny and not being a balloon animal body-builder. It's about being a lean, powerful, mobile beast.

WODs can last anywhere from 10 minutes up to a full hour depending on how it is programmed. Don't worry though, most last between 15-25 minutes. The 45-60 minute WODs are usually 'hero' WODs and you won't want to try those until months down the road. LOL There are benchmark WODs called 'girls'. They all have a girl's name. These are WODs that never change and are used to track your fitness progress. Usually your box should run through them on a 90-day cycle.

The mental factor: 80% of CrossFit is mental. You have to get passed your 'quitting point' and push through it. This is where most people fail with CrossFit or any exercise for that matter. You have to commit to being a better version of yourself daily. If you can do that you will get the most out of a WOD. If you can't commit then you are wasting your money.

The clock: Don't let this thing make you cower in fear. It's simply a tool to measure your progress. Say you do 'Fran' the first time and you do it in 25 minutes. Then 90 days later you do it again only this time you complete it in 20 minutes. There's your proof that you are progressing. That's all the clock is for... time.

When you visit, watch the coaches. Are they offering scaled options? Are they stressing form more than a fast time? Are they actually walking around coaching? These are things you need to look for. Don't pick a box simply because it's closer to you or cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Lastly, to be honest, your first 2-3 weeks are going to SUCK! You will be so sore and you will quickly realize just how out of shape you really are. Don't worry about it... just keep going. If you feel you can;t move that;s the time to get up and go do a WOD. Sitting still and being sore after a heavy workout is the fastest way to quitting. If you stay moving your muscles will loosen up and the soreness will leave faster. Everyone started the same way. You will see beasts at your box doing superhuman things. Just remember that at some point they too were sucking wind and puking when they started. The results will come. If you truly dedicate yourself and push yourself, you should see visible results in the mirror around the 8-10 week mark. Weigh yourself when you start so you have a reference point. Then DO NOT GET ON THE SCALE AGAIN OR 3 MONTHS! You are going to gain a few pounds (water weight usually) the first few months as your body adjusts itself. Stay off the scale. Let your clothes and the mirror be your measure.

Oh one thing no one ever seems to talk about. When you start, you will feel a little like an outcast. Do not take it personally. CrossFit is actually a very social and friendly community, but it does take time to become 'one of them'. This is due to two factors... 1) the other athletes don't know your personality yet so they will withhold encouragement until they see if you like to be left alone or if you like people telling you to push it. 2) there is a LOT of turn over in CrossFit. New people come in, try it out for a week or two then most quit. If you dedicate yourself and go consistently, around the 6-8 week mark you will suddenly find people warming up to you and you will become part of the 'cult' LOL. I've been going for 3 months now and suddenly I have all these new friends on Facebook, even the coaches. Just remember misery loves company and once you've shown your commitment you will be rewarded with excellent 'WODmates' who will push you to be better every day.

Best advice is to just go pull open the front door and do it. You won't be sorry.
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    Oh one thing no one ever seems to talk about. When you start, you will feel a little like an outcast. Do not take it personally. CrossFit is actually a very social and friendly community, but it does take time to become 'one of them'. This is due to two factors... 1) the other athletes don't know your personality yet so they will withhold encouragement until they see if you like to be left alone or if you like people telling you to push it. 2) there is a LOT of turn over in CrossFit. New people come in, try it out for a week or two then most quit. If you dedicate yourself and go consistently, around the 6-8 week mark you will suddenly find people warming up to you and you will become part of the 'cult' LOL. I've been going for 3 months now and suddenly I have all these new friends on Facebook, even the coaches. Just remember misery loves company and once you've shown your commitment you will be rewarded with excellent 'WODmates' who will push you to be better every day.

Dude! I thought this was just me! People at my box have always been very friendly but sort of insular (I'm 2 months in). That totally makes sense on the reasons why, though... Duh.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Dude! I thought this was just me! People at my box have always been very friendly but sort of insular (I'm 2 months in). That totally makes sense on the reasons why, though... Duh.

This is entirely consistent with my experience as well. We just had a competition this weekend that I went to and photographed. We then went out for a few beers afterwards because we were starting a Paleo challenge today and wanted to enjoy a few while we could. I started in July and this weekend was when I think the veterans finally said "ok, this guy is here to stay"
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    This is so helpful (and still a little scary). I think I'll be ok with being last and slow as long as no one is yelling at me or pointing it out (this happened in a bootcamp class and I don't think I've ever felt so down about trying something in my life).

I drove by the box near me this weekend, I'm getting closer. I like having a general idea of what to expect and now knowing it's about an hour will help me plan.

Thank you all for the great insight and especially the emotional warnings because it will be me who defeats me not CF if I don't stick with it. I think this might just be the something I needed to find, I hope.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I'm 2 months in and I'm last more often than not. I'm getting better though, and a few times you will see a WOD and say "that is in my wheelhouse" and crush it. Those days feel really good!

In the end though, it is not about where you finish, it's about where you finish compared to what you did the last time.
  • shirte
    shirte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful (and still a little scary). I think I'll be ok with being last and slow as long as no one is yelling at me or pointing it out (this happened in a bootcamp class and I don't think I've ever felt so down about trying something in my life).

I did a bootcamp the month before starting CrossFit (one year ago this week), and I got that exact same feeling while being last with them pointing out that I was last. It was horrifying! However during my second week of CF we did a run and there I was last again and the encouragement I received from the coaches and other people at the box that weren't even in my beginner class was so amazing.

As other have stated CrossFit caters to everyone from the Super Jock to the person who's never really exercised. All the WODs can be scaled to your fitness level and/or your physical capabilities.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

I come in last in the WOD at least once a month (a lot more in the beginning!) and everyone who has finished ahead of me usually cheers for me until I finish. It's pretty typical for the person(s) who are still finishing up to get encouragement from those who are done. I think that's what makes the WOD so unique. Everyone does the same workout that day. The really fast people, the really strong people and the newbies are all doing the same workout (modified individually for abilities).
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I'm going to the intro class Wednesday, I'm so nervous but it's time to stop putting it off and see what it's all about! Thanks for all the info :)
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    I'm going to the intro class Wednesday, I'm so nervous but it's time to stop putting it off and see what it's all about! Thanks for all the info :)

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Good luck!! :)
  • bostonwolf
    Options

I did a bootcamp the month before starting CrossFit (one year ago this week), and I got that exact same feeling while being last with them pointing out that I was last. It was horrifying! However during my second week of CF we did a run and there I was last again and the encouragement I received from the coaches and other people at the box that weren't even in my beginner class was so amazing.

As other have stated CrossFit caters to everyone from the Super Jock to the person who's never really exercised. All the WODs can be scaled to your fitness level and/or your physical capabilities.

And you get the same attitude from the best of the best at the Crossfit Games. When the regular folks like us see Rich Froning going to cheer on his competitors after finishing the WOD (and his competitors doing the same for him on occasion) then that filters down from the top.

Don't be nervous. It will be hard, harder than anything you've done recently for sure, but it will be doable.

Scalability is one of the key tenets of Crossfit that no one ever talks about. ANYONE can do it. It's about figuring out where you are first, then making sure you are consistently getting better.
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I went to the intro last night. I almost had a panic attack walking in the box- it's HUGE (and they are expanding), people were sprinting outside to the inside and doing all sorts of crazy exercises, music was blasting, everyone was super fit and knew what they were doing. It was everything that's always intimidated me about working out. I literally had tears in my eyes but I stayed.

The trainer was amazing, he scaled everything to my level without embarrassing me or making a big deal about it. My brain has been wired for the past chunk of years to constantly say 'I can't' or 'you can't do that, you're too fat/out of shape/unathletic/lazy' and those thoughts were lurking close the whole time but I really listened to what the trainer was saying and started to feel like maybe I can this time, maybe I can so I actually tried really hard at everything we did. At the end the trainer sat down and talked to us about life changes, being the best we can be, how everyone starts somewhere and crossfit believes everyone is an athlete in some way, and living a better life in general. It wasn't preaching and I didn't feel like I was being lectured, it really sank in. My legs were jello and I'm sore today but not as bad as I thought I would be. I'm going back Monday to start the onramp classes. This is so outside anything I've ever done but I'm going to try it. Thank you all for being encouraging and giving me enough insight to actually take the first step.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I went to the intro last night. I almost had a panic attack walking in the box- it's HUGE (and they are expanding), people were sprinting outside to the inside and doing all sorts of crazy exercises, music was blasting, everyone was super fit and knew what they were doing. It was everything that's always intimidated me about working out. I literally had tears in my eyes but I stayed.

The trainer was amazing, he scaled everything to my level without embarrassing me or making a big deal about it. My brain has been wired for the past chunk of years to constantly say 'I can't' or 'you can't do that, you're too fat/out of shape/unathletic/lazy' and those thoughts were lurking close the whole time but I really listened to what the trainer was saying and started to feel like maybe I can this time, maybe I can so I actually tried really hard at everything we did. At the end the trainer sat down and talked to us about life changes, being the best we can be, how everyone starts somewhere and crossfit believes everyone is an athlete in some way, and living a better life in general. It wasn't preaching and I didn't feel like I was being lectured, it really sank in. My legs were jello and I'm sore today but not as bad as I thought I would be. I'm going back Monday to start the onramp classes. This is so outside anything I've ever done but I'm going to try it. Thank you all for being encouraging and giving me enough insight to actually take the first step.

I'm glad you're going back! You won't be sorry and you'll be shocked at what you really CAN do!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

GAH!!! I have tears in my eyes reading this!!! I don't know you but I really am so proud of you!!! Keep going...you will be AMAZED at yourself!! Friend request coming in 3...2...1...
  • momof2osaurus
    Options
    YAY!!

I've been a lifelong NON-athlete and have shocked myself with what my body can do. I'm so glad you loved it!
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    There's a t-shirt in CrossFit that says "Better Than Yesterday". It's true. Just keep going and you will astound yourself! Also remember you are there for YOU, no one else. Don't worry about the rest of the class. You may feel a bit lost the first week or two until you learn where everything is and the routine of the gym. Everything comes in time.
  • wswilliams67
    Options

Sadly I've found myself being this way as well. It's not even really anything intentional. More due to being so focused LOL. I need to be more welcoming and outgoing to newbies.