Success, Advice & Motivation!!

Options
shirlinap
shirlinap Posts: 40 Member
I wanted to create a topic where everyone who has had success can share their tips, advice, anything that they have found to be useful! I think that's the biggest question so far.. So if those who have already started their journey wouldn't mind sharing a few things, we would love it!

One small thing that helps me keep my workouts consistent is taking a preworkout supplement. Especially if I am debating going to the gym.. I'll just take my preworkout and then I have to go get rid of all that energy! lol

Oh and I'm really enjoying the friend adds.. now, on my mobile app, it will show everyone's log-ins and knowing its posted to others keeps me accountable!

I hope everyone has a great healthy day!! :)

MOTIVATIONAL PIC OF THE DAY :)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5e319f2292903ff1ab5ea8faa21e3509/tumblr_mk2m03i1fF1qgib7wo1_400.jpg

Replies

• Jannah1208
    Options
    I have 2 post its on my fridge that help so much.

1. Eat to live, don't live to eat
    2. Even one drop of water raises the sea

Between the two I am always reminded the little things help. I have taken an extra walk because of number 2, and prevented myself from eating half a PB cheesecake with number 1...lol

Love the pic too! How true is that! Hey in 9 weeks, all the others would have wished they started with us.
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Something that used to bug me was when I focused too much on the scale. I started lifting weights and eating better, but my scale weight increased because of the muscle I put on. At the same time, all of my clothes were looser.

My advice is to track your measurements. If your measurements are getting smaller, then don't worry about the scale. Also, if you're bloated due to PMS, etc...wait a few days until the bloat wears off to get a more accurate reading.
  • skill133
    Options
    Love the tips..I was going to say something about measurement and losing inches being your focus and not the scale. Although in my case both should move in a downward direction right now. LOL

So my tip will be something that I STRUGGLE with. No late night eating!! (unless of course you have no other option that day) Don't eat anything after 8 pm. Instead go for a walk or do something active like house cleaning to take your mind off food. You will get more accomplished then eating and turn that calorie intake into a better differential! Just think what instead of eating 150 calories that you burned 150 calories each night could do for you!
  • JillyGO
    Options
    When I was at my best weight and gained a little, it was always small things that got me back on track. I would walk more during my day by taking the "long" hallways at work, bringing paperwork to its' destination, rather then letting it be picked up, parking in the back of the parking lot, and cutting "little" things that had crept into my diet, such as latte's, food at work events, or fast food. Drinking water. All the things we roll our eyes at, when we read them in magazines. :) Not a complete overhaul, but slight adjustments that worked. I just bought a pedometer so I can challenge myself to more steps per day!
  • shirlinap
    Options
    LOVING ALL THE TIPS...

Sharing a few stories from others ive gotten :)

FROM WAZAPALA:

My diet is 1600 calories a day . With that I should lose at least about a kg a week or a bit more.
    My food is mainly going to be plant based with meat maybe a couple times a week.

As far as fitness goes I surf most days but when there are no waves I do some 'HIIT' training.

my meal plan is a very different approach to yours but I have had great success in the past with it , have you heard of intermittent fasting? heres a link http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

I used it about a year ago, and went from 94kg down to 85 in 5 weeks. .....Then I went to South Africa to visit family and that blew the diet out the window ha.
  • shirlinap
    Options
    FROM AMY_ANDREWS:

thanks for the congrats and the add. My story isn't really all that inspirational, but sure I'll share it. I have 2 boys, age 4 & 2 and I gained a ton of weight during both pregnancies and then my loving husband took a pic of me climbing out of the pool. That picture of my literal fat butt was my ultimate motivation, but really I was just tired of being tired. I had no energy and 2 rambunctious boys. My weight has yo-yo'd my entire adult life and I just wanted to be FIT. I started last fall doing the Couch 2 5K program and even at the end of that I HATED running. My husband wanted to me to do a mud run with him though, so I trained as hard as I could. That was in Sept 2012 and I did it, but hated it. And then took the winter off and regained all I lost training for that horrible run!

I finally got a job in Feb and at the same time came down with the flu and strep throat. Feeling miserable, I decided enough was enough and a friend told me about MFP. So in March I started working out and haven't stopped. I started running a few days a week, trying to get back up to running a 5K with no walking, and I also did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I work out 6 days a week, most weeks.

As time went by, I decided to make a fitness bucket list and signed up for a half marathon. I still don't know what I was thinking, but having a fitness goal is very self-motivating. I have set plan of what I'm supposed to do everyday. And I have honestly grown to love running. (my race is Nov 16th) I have also moved up the chain of Jillian's DVDs as I progressed - Ripped in 30, No More Trouble Zones, Hard body (I have an intense love/hate relationship with that woman!). I still workout 6 days a week - 4 run days and 2 Jillian days. I have slowly changed my daily calories to maintenance, which is still scary! I am a firm believer in "eat back your exercise calories!" which also pushes me to work out harder ---- the harder I work the more I get to eat!

And I truly believe I couldn't have done it without the support of my "friends" on MFP. It's a nice accountability that doesn't pressure you but encourages you. I love this website and app! I don't have a ton of friends on here, but the ones I have are so motivating! (but at the same time aren't afraid to tell me to stop whining and get off my lazy bum and go workout!)

The last 6 months haven't been easy and there have been vacations, and illnesses, and sleepless nights with 2 young kids that have tried to derail me. But I've learned that it takes 2 things to lose weight: #1 you've got to WANT to do it. and #2 you've gotta DO it!
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting, especially to prepare for ramadan (30 day fast- no food or water, sunrise to sunset) It does help. There is another site I used http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting, once in a while fasting feels good :)

Also as I stated in another post here I was going to try c25k (app by rundouble)... I DID START C25K! After putting it off for a long time, I ran the program with my son. I survived day 1.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    Some things that have helped me...

Take pictures of your progress. Sometimes I won't notice how much my body really has changed until I look back at the pictures and renew my motivation to keep going!

When I don't feel like working out I will go on Pinterest.com and look through the Health and Fitness board, seeing all the motivational pictures, quotes, recipes, and at home workouts makes me want to hit the gym!

I also use a combination of cardio and weight training. I have invested in personal trainers for accountability and to learn from! My goal when I am done with my sessions of personal training is to feel confident in making my own workouts and sticking to them.

I also found that it's very motivating to help someone else out! When people started seeing changes in me they started asking questions about how I did it. Talking with someone else and helping to motivate them always works for motivating myself...You never know who is watching and looking at you as a role model!

I am also Christian and have a bible verse that helps me out... 2nd Timothy 1:7 reads: For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    Some things that have helped me...

Take pictures of your progress. Sometimes I won't notice how much my body really has changed until I look back at the pictures and renew my motivation to keep going!

When I don't feel like working out I will go on Pinterest.com and look through the Health and Fitness board, seeing all the motivational pictures, quotes, recipes, and at home workouts makes me want to hit the gym!

I also use a combination of cardio and weight training. I have invested in personal trainers for accountability and to learn from! My goal when I am done with my sessions of personal training is to feel confident in making my own workouts and sticking to them.

I also found that it's very motivating to help someone else out! When people started seeing changes in me they started asking questions about how I did it. Talking with someone else and helping to motivate them always works for motivating myself...You never know who is watching and looking at you as a role model!

I am also Christian and have a bible verse that helps me out... 2nd Timothy 1:7 reads: For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

Love these tips and the quote! I do forget to take pics of progress and the pin interest idea never even thought of that. Thanks!
  • shirlinap
    Options
    Enjoying the tips!

We've got 4 big days before weigh in!! I have to confess.. I ATE SOME CHICKEN WANGS TODAYYYY :/ Ok so that's my cheat meal for the week right??? Lol

Still time to make changes in the next 4 days!!!

Quote for Thursday :)

http://www.indoorcyclingassociation.com/2013/02/quote-of-the-week-look-how-far-youve-come/

http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/low-carb-motivation/

A LITTLE VIDEO MOTIVATION AND HUMOR FOR TOMORROW :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fCqg92qks
  • skill133
    Options
    Thanks for the video...but man it's way to early to be getting worked up. LOL
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    Day 2 of C25K... I will watch that video later ;)
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    I actually love this... for me this is so true, tired of losing weight in that area!!!

workout-gym-losing-weight-breasts-cry-for-help-ecards-someecards.png
  • traceylynnRN
    traceylynnRN Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually love this... for me this is so true, tired of losing weight in that area!!!

LOL!!! @Jannah1208. I feel the same way. Mine were the first to lose the fat and in a weird way, I was sad about it.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    the tip that has helped me the most.....

wait out the craving. Cravings typically only last about 15 minutes. If you can make it through the craving you win!! I usually take a little walk or paint my nails and by the time I am done I no longer want whatever it was I was craving.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight pretty much all my life and my mantra used to be

Nothing tastes as good as SKINNY feels

but now that I am almost 52, it has changed to

Nothing feels as good as HEALTHY feels!
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just in case you guys haven't come across this thread yet, wanna share:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103385-what-are-the-top-5-things-you-recomend-to-do-to-lose-weight

Very helpful and motivating. =)
  • kandalure
    kandalure Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    shirlinap - what pre-workout supplement do you use?
  • shirlinap
    Options

Bahia soooo true!!:grumble: :sad:
  • shirlinap
    Options
    Great thread Cheri.. I put that my favorites for later!

@kand I've been taking supps on n off for a couple years now so my tolerance is pretty hi I think ..

I just started neon volt, and it is awesome!!

If uve never taken one before.. I started with jack3d and c4.

Then the more potent ones for me later were neurocore, black powder, and now volt.