i cannot get enough protein

Options
seriously, i can't do it.

i'm supposed to get 60-80 grams a day and i'm lucky to get 40 g. sometimes not even that. i am 3 1/2 months post-op (surgery was june 11, 2013). i am on maintenance now and i eat protein at every meal. eggs, cheese and chicken being my most often eaten. i have a protein bar before i go to the gym 3x a week.

should i still be drinking a protein shake? is that what everyone else does to get their protein high enough? i HATE those shakes. i usually average 600-700 calories a day (sometimes a little more) and a lot of times i exercise 300-400 calories off, which doesn't leave a lot of net calories.

anyone out there with some good advice? any suggestions? any ideas to make those horrible shakes taste better? thanks everyone!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have both flavored and unflavored protein powder. I use Syntrax Nectar. I haven't had a flavor that I haven't liked. The unflavored one I use in sauces and broths if I need a boost of protein. It thickens things a little but doesn't change the taste at all. I've also added it to oatmeal and cottage cheese, but don't like it in those as it changes the consistency. So my suggestion is find an unflavored protein powder you can add to stuff. And if you want or need the shakes, keep trying different ones until you find one you like.
  • amylynn924
    amylynn924 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS Advantedge RTD shakes when I need a protein boost. The Dark Chocolate and the Café Caramel are the best. I also like the Java Pro. It's got 20 grams of protein, is 110 calories, and has 80 mg. of caffeine. Great when I need a jolt of energy, and it comes in Mocha, Caramel, French Vanilla, Latte and Hazelnut. Blended with ice and it tastes like a Frappe.