Length of feeding and intervals between feeding?

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
My son is now just over 4 months old, and we are EBFing. He is becoming increasingly distracted during feedings, which I expected. He has, however, cut back the length of his feedings to about 5 minutes from what used to be 10-15. He'll pull off after that long with a smile on his face and will not be interested in re-latching or getting on the other side.

I don't feel engorged or full (I haven't in a long time), so it's hard for me to tell if I'm that much emptier than before a feeding. Is he that efficient now that a sufficient feeding can be so short?

Also, he's eating every 2-3 hours instead of every 1-2 (I feed on demand).

I didn't EBF my first, nor did we BF at all past three months, so this is new territory for me.

Thoughts?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    They do become much more efficient at eating as they grow. As long as he is growing and happy, you can be sure that you are giving him enough milk. I think over time, the composition of your milk changes too, so he may not need as much. My little guy is doing the same.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    FYI...
    You can get a lot of helpful information here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb.html
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The thing to watch out for is that when they start getting more interested in seeing the world around them, they can become more distracted during feeding time and ready to move on before (perhaps) they are truly finished. What can then happen (based on my experience) is they nurse more during the night to make up for less milk intake during the day. There is not much you can do about it (at least in my case I couldn't figure anything out). However, I read (and experienced) that if you night-wean, and they realize they won't be getting anything through the night, they make more of a point of eating more during the day. (I wasn't ready to night-wean as early as 4 months, although my pedi did push me to do so.) In any case, I don't think Mr. Boy will let himself go hungry. :-)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    He's still waking 2-3x/night and eating for about 10 minutes then. He does settle for some feedings, but in the middle of the day he gets distracted and doesn't eat for long. He gets fussy if I try to put him back on. I won't try night weaning or anything!

Thanks, ladies!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    My pedi was seriously pushing me to night wean when Gideon was 2 months old (because at that point, he was only waking once in the night). I was like "No *%$*ing way in h*ll!" will I be doing that...until he was about 8 months old and waking up 3-4 times a night. Lol. Then, I was like, "Fine." I wonder if he would have slept through the night faster if I had night-weaned earlier, but when he was that tiny I just couldn't imagine it. Looking back, I'm pretty sure I would have still ignored my pedi's advice.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For me, I went every 3 hours from day 1, and at about 5 or 6 months I was feeding at about every 4 hours. Both girls slept through the night from early on. Perfectly normal for baby boy to be ready to go longer between feedings...his little tummy's growing and he knows how to fill up more. Enjoy!:)
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Okay now I have breastfeeding envy. For the past 3 weeks my 8 month old has been waking up at LEAST every hour, im so exhausted! We have gotten into some bad habits because since she was a few weeks old I nursed her to sleep, always, unless we were out and about and she'd fall asleep in her pushchair or carrier. But that worked for us, she were waking up about 2/3 times a night and I was really happy with that. But now it's hell, last night she woke up 18 times and every time I'd latch her on and she'd fall back to sleep within minutes so I lay her down and within 45 minutes she's up again. Feel like I'm going mad from sleep deprivation:frown: Anyway yes that's what I heard too, that as they get older ther become much more efficient in emptying the breast much quicker, this same thing happened to my daughter too.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    @touchafaith - your dau is clearly wanting your comfort, not food. Around 8-10 months babies can go through a really clingy phase, it won't last, but how you respond will affect how she reacts in future. You need to provide her with comfort and reassurance without resorting to the breast. This may mean rubbing her tummy back to sleep or lying down with her or whatever works, but she's old enough to attempt soothing without being put straight to the breast. She'll probably resist your efforts at first, but will eventually come around or exhaust herself ;) Either way you'll eventually get more sleep.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    @touchof faith: Read Good Night, Sleep Tight. I was experiencing the exact same thing as you (maybe not every hour, but every couple of hours). This book really was a game-changer. It helped me night-wean, and now my son basically sleeps through the night. The author of the book does not advocate crying-it-out, and you are in the room comforting your baby. The first couple nights really sucked though. (Oh, and I should say, I think this book will only work if you and your baby are in separate rooms, and you have a husband/partner willing to go in and comfort your baby at night. I think it is too hard for baby to understand why you won't nurse him, but he will probably not be expecting daddy to do it.)
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies, will give it a go. We co-sleep as well so it makes it more difficult to start a regime. Her dad has tried a couple of times to take her in the night but she just screams the house down and constantly reaches for me. Hopefully she'll sleep a bit better tonight.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It is widely different with every child. My son was the slowest eater on the planet. When he was a newborn BFing took at least 45 minutes an sometimes even an hr, once i measured 75 minutes. I EBF until 6 months and kept BF until he was 2 yrs old , maybe only twice a day after 1 yrs old. He never ever finished less than 20 minutes. Now he is almost 5 yrs old and eat at the same slow motion way. Dinner is an hr every single time...

My new baby girl is the opposite. She never ever took 20 minutes even when she was a newborn. She has a very good latch and extreme strong sucking motion. I am talking ouch painful here. By the time she was a 2-3 months old, she finished less than 10 minutes. I also EBF her until 6 month and now she is 9 months still BF super fast. She eats finger foods now and she finishes her dinner faster than the 5 yrs old brother.

Both were/ are super chubby babies and growing along the 75 th percentile. I think fast BFing is a blessing for sure.