Scoliosis, pain...

Options
hope002
hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
I have been doing All Pro's routine for 8 weeks (just 4 weeks with current weights as I had to reset when I bought heavier dumbbells). I have scoliosis and all this time I didn't have any issues lifting until last night, when I got a terrible back pain.
Today I went to see my Dr who told me to stop lifting. Then he prescribed physiotherapy. Physiotherapist asked me about my lifting program, all the exercises in it and after examining my back and the location of my pain, he said to stop doing the dead lifts and to be careful/go easier on bent over rows.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I replace dead lifts with some other exercise? And what that exercise would be? I know how important DLs are... I am at 80lbs now.

2. If I go with lower weights for bent over rows (currently 70lbs), how effective would that be? Should I replace them with other exercise?

Replies

• claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do one arm bent over rows because I have a dodgy back and the bent over rows were just too much. As far as the deadlift replacement they haven't bothered my back as all *knock on wood* but I don't know any replacement. Maybe glute bridges and/or hip thrusts? You might want to start reading Bret Contreras' stuff to gain more specific insight though.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would ask the peeps over in eat, train, progress.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of glute bridges and hip thrusts, they do work similar muscle groups. Just make sure they don't cause pain as well before doing weighted versions of those. The ETP folks probably have more suggestions of possible substitutions. Hope your back feels better soon!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions - I'll leave that to the more experienced people on here, or as others have suggested the ETP group would be a great resource. But I am curious about the pain and scoliosis connection. I too have scoliosis, and just recently have become aware of how one side of my upper back looks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame during certain exercises (squats, deadlifts, rows, and certain yoga poses - basically anything where I am bending, even slightly, forward). It sort of freaked me out when I noticed this on some videos I took as I always thought my condition was more on the mild side. This led me to wonder about the whole lifting with scoliosis and whether it may someday be a problem as the weights get heavier, and just as I was thinking of posting a topic in the forums, I see this!

Did the doctor of physiotherapist give you any information on what exactly the deadlifts did - and how that relates to your scoliosis? Did they say that you will be able to do them again someday, or are they telling you never again?

Hope you are feeling better soon! Back pain sucks.......