Whats your difficult foods since surgery?

Options
lee91356
lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
I am one year out and though for the most part I have no real issues with foods but in the last few months I have strayed away from my tried and true diet and started eating different things (both good and bad) and I have been surprised at some of the results, even more so that I am still having issue this far out.

Just wanted to know what foods others have problems with???? Please share. :happy:

Also for anyone further out I wanted to know if these issues improve overtime, or as some say if its part of the "new normal."

My list:

Not a problem for me are carb landed foods (I wish they were :cry: though) : potato chips, crackers, pretzels, nuts, popcorn, peanut butter, french fries, candy (jelly beans, mentos, etc) - of these foods I can eat a LOT and nothing happens to me, no tummy ache no nausea NOTHING (aside from a large dose of guilt :blushing: )

Problem foods:
- more then 1/2 cup of lettuce
- sushi rolls (I can eat fish, I can eat rice, but apparently not rice and fish together wrapped in nori)
- steak/ beef
- hot dogs (any type)
- bread (but not really pizza, thats the sad part)
- chicken skin (gross I know, but aside from trying it a few times I have also unintentionally eaten it one more then one occasion and could tell after the fact that I had eaten it - gotta careful when ordering diced up chicken at restaurants)
- sugar snap peas (in an effort to stop snacking I tried eating these and after a few I was ill)
- chocolate (includes chocolate chip cookies and anything chocolate coated)
- coated protein bars (like zone bar)
- cherries
- strawberries (seems to be hit or miss)
- whipped cream and cake filling (eating a piece of cake is ok, but sans the cream; kindda weird)
- frozen yogurt and ice cream (a little is ok but I found that more than 2 oz, 3 at MOST and I get a gross feeling)

Replies

• HorizontallyImpaired
    Options
    I cant comment on the breads, rice, pastas, deserts, ect...
    I also dont eat any fruit (exception is cooked tomato)

only issue is egg.
    If it is in Tuna salad I'm fine.
    But scrabbled, boiled, or omelet and it doesnt sit well.
    I can eat about 1 egg a week - anything over that and the sleeve rejects it.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sadly I can eat anything and lots of it :(
    5 months
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am almost 2 months out. So far the only food I have had a problem with is pasta - actually made me sick!
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 2.5 years post op and since my sleeve I found out that I have developed several difficulties with foods. Let's see...

- I developed lactose intolerance, therefore milk is out for me (no problem with low fat Greek yogurt or hard cheeses however, and I do love my Greek low fat yogurt!!!!)
    - I also developed an intolerance to tomatoes! (Strange, since before my sleeve all I would eat was pasta with red sauce!!!! Now A BIG NO NO)

- Chocolate of any kind ( the thing makes me gag even looking or smelling it)

- Pasta / Rice A big NO NO I manage to have about 3oz during one day every year!!!!
    They really do not sit well with my sleeve.

- Fatty foods of any kind (So no fast food, no buttery things, no pastries, no fried foods, no cold cuts, etc)

- Red meats/ poultry (I can only handle about 2oz once a day every other day, any more than that and it is rejected!!!)

- Ice cream unless it is a low fat no sugar no chocolate ice cream.

- Sugary things (candy, pastries, sweet beverages, those complicated coffees from Starbucks that have syrups and caramel sauces in them, things like that) I am witnessing Dumping Syndrome with all the symptoms you are reading on the web.
    I guess my body has a really violent way of showing me that sugar is not good for me!!! LOL

However my sleeve gave me an invaluable present as well, this year it was the first time in over a decade that I managed to eat cherries, pineapple and grapes!!!! Oh and I also managed to eat beans and cucumber! I loved these foods but because of the GERD I had from being obese I could not have them.

All in all, even though the sleeve made me give up on some things, it gave me the chance to incorporate in my diet foods I had long forgotten as it was impossible to have, but now with 95lbs off (and 15lbs left for my GW) my GERD is gone and I am a new person who has adopted a new way of life of healthy eating (for the most part) and exercise.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back. It does seem like some people have zero issues and others have more :smile:
    I have no real complaints lol, admittedly I just need to stop eating the bad foods and I will have no problems. :blushing:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Bread and pasta sit like a big lump of dough in my sleeve.

Over-cooked chicken breast still gives me a "stuck" feeling.

I dump on high-sugar, high-fat foods if I eat too big of a portion, which is a good thing.

Overeating makes me feel bad, so I try not to do it, although it's hard when we eat out at restaurants.

I tolerate almost everything very well, which is good because I believe a healthy diet consists of a variety of foods, even "treats" in moderation.

Edited to add: I'm also lactose intolerant, although I can have greek yogurt, cottage cheese and regular cheese.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am a bit further out (2 yrs out) so that is probably why I don't have many issues.

Trouble foods:
    - Pasta *cry cry* (sadly, I still can put down about 1/2 cup of well sauced pasta)
    - Eggs (any kind)
    - Protein bars unless super crunchy
    - Ice Cream (maybe the sugar content... not sure, but I eat frozen yogurt fine)

I don't eat meat anymore but it was never an issue for me (as long as I chewed well).
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sadly I am tolerant to all foods......However I will get dumping if I eat high sugar or fat foods or if I overeat.

I can eat a cookie (or other sugar/carb item) if its only a bite. More than that and I'm sick and lying down.

I can only tolerate very small amounts of any complex carb...pasta, bread, baked goods before I feel bad so I avoid them.

Veggies, protein, fruit, dairy.....all OK in VSG quantities.

I am 1.25 yrs out and not at goal. Also a former band patient.

This eating style is OK for me because for 6 years I could only get complex carbs past my band......its a relief.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years out and have two things I abosultely cannot drink. Black coffee (which I used to love!) and anything carbonated. So now I drink my coffee with cream (yes, that's counted in my daily calories) and since I was never much of a pop/soda drinker, the carbonation isn't an issue.

I limit myself to 4 ounces of all meats, but have to be extra vigilant when it comes to chicken and steak. I think it's because they are both so dense. Lettuce fills me up really fast, so I eat the protein portion of the salad first and then what I can of the lettuce. Pasta is too heavy now and I rarely eat carbs simply because once I get the protein in there's never a lot of room left. My "I don't need anymore protein today but have calories left" snack is popcorn. I prefer my protein bars to be non-chocolate just because I'm sick of most protein bars being some form of chocolate.

I could give you a whole list of foods I no longer eat, but that's by choice rather than because I have an issue with them. I couldn't control myself with them before my sleeve and frankly I'm afraid to find out nothing's changed, so I refuse to reintroduce them into my new life. Or I no longer eat them because they just don't have enough protein for the amount of calories, so they aren't worth eating.

I think there are some things we will never be able to eat again and I think it's different for each person. But it's probably a good lifelong restriction. :tongue:
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Like you, I can eat a ton of crappy food like chips, candy, etc. If I wanted to, I could probalby eat a whole bag of chips and be okay. I would feel a little blah, but it wouldn't make me sick. One protein I can eat a TON of is shrimp! Luckily it's very low fat :)

For about six months after surgey I couldn't eat eggs. Now I love a hard boiled egg for breakfast, so I'm over that. For the most part I can eat anything, but I've really noticed that there are some things I can't eat as much of. I can't eat very much 'dense' meat. By that I mean steak, chicken breast, etc. I'm pretty sure that's why we receive the food guidelines we do. When you eat grilled meat first and find yourself full after 2 oz, it's easy not to move on to a potato. If you eat the potato first, you go to eat the meat, and find you can only eat a couple bites. I can't eat very much pasta, but that's probably a good thing. I used to love a huge plate of pasta; now I eat a small amount of pasta and use more sauce than I would have in the past.

I feel gross after eating anything fried, so I don't do it much. Occasionally I'll have a couple french fries, but for the most part I can't do it. Overeating gives me such a horrible feeling in general that I work really hard not to do it.

I can usually eat a pretty big salad, if there isn't any meat or nuts in it. I sometime use kale and spinach to help control the munchies.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I can tolerate most foods very well although more than a few bites of anything sweet and I am left feeling ill which is a good thing. My tastes from changed since surgery though and I can't stand the taste of tea or most Crystal light flavors which I always loved both and drank frequently. Now just the taste gags me. :(
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    4 years out I can eat anything and I am grateful. What this does require is a greater sense of vigilance in your choices. I am forced to use my brain instead of my body making the choices for me.

I still have issues with water though - i still prefer some flavoring to plain - it is not to the point it makes me outright sick, just a teensy bit nauseous and uncomfortable.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's why we receive the food guidelines we do. When you eat grilled meat first and find yourself full after 2 oz, it's easy not to move on to a potato. If you eat the potato first, you go to eat the meat, and find you can only eat a couple bites.

Totally agree. I follow the "protein first" rule still. Although if a meal comes with a dinner salad, I may have one or two bites of it. Lettuce REALLY fills me up now, so I rarely have it.

Difficult foods for me would be steak and anything with a tomato base. Steak has to be super tender in order for me to be able to eat it. Sometimes even a beef patty is too dry. The tomato base issue only comes about if I am not taking my Prilosec. I had an issue with heart burn and tomato base things before surgery too, so I'm really not all that surprised.

Now, I WISH I had intolerance to sweets. The first eight months or so were pretty easy in regards to sweets. They just didn't appeal to me. Now, however, I have to keep telling myself that their empty calories are simply not worth it. (Hard candies are easy to avoid, chocolate however...)
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    And... I still don't like vegetables.