What's everyone doing for exercise?

Options
I've set a schedule for myself to run/walk at least 3 days a week, and yoga with an app I have twice a week. I'm also letting Sunday be a day I don't track my calories. Not saying I plan on going balls out on Sundays, but cut myself a little slack and maybe have a drink or two.

Just curious what everyone else has been doing to burn those calories?

Replies

• mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym at lunch 3 times a week and using the active motion trainer but the last few weeks I've been walk/running at lunch instead. Then I *try* to walk the dog on the opposite days for about 1/2 an hour but it doesn't always work out that way. I'd love to try Pure Barre or something like that but dang it is expensive.
  • spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've got a stationary bike with a desk attachment so I've been trying to get in time on the bike while I'm working. My goal is to bike 40-50 miles every day.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    There's a guy at my daughter's school that lost a ton of weight riding his stationary bike like 2 hours a day. I don't know how many miles it comes out to, but it definitely worked, and he dropped it fast too.
  • spgebhart
    Options
    That's what I want to hear! 40 miles is about 2 hours. I could do 50 in 2 hours if I pushed it but I need to be able to work at the same time and I can only multitask at a lower level of effort. Still gets my heart rate up though!
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've got a stationary bike with a desk attachment so I've been trying to get in time on the bike while I'm working. My goal is to bike 40-50 miles every day.

This is amazing! Keep us updated on how it goes!

For me, my exercise is a short bike commute to work and back. Weightlifting 2-3x a week, horseback riding usually 4x a week, and plenty of walking and leisurely biking on the weekends. The big thing is that all of this is really fun for me.

I was doing zumba, which I miss, but I just don't have the time to squeeze it in right now.
  • spgebhart
    Options
    That's great that you've found fun ways to be active. I think that's totally the key to sustaining it long-term. I don't really think I want to be on my bike desk 2 hours a day for the rest of my life, you know? But it works for right now when I feel like I'm too busy to devote time only to working out. Next semester I won't be taking so many classes so I hope to get back to the gym and lift weights.

I'm jelly you get to ride horses. I want to ride horses.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    I've never lifted weights, but I've always wanted to try it. There's not a whole lot of exercises that I really enjoy doing. I used to have a Gazelle back in the day that I used faithfully when I did WW and lost about 25 pounds. I don't hate running, but don't exactly live it either, lol. I keep coming back to yoga, even though I don't think I'm burning as many calories as it says I am on here. I wouldn't mind trying some hand weights or the exercises that use your own body weight to tone up as I go.
  • mkbarnes1775
    Options
    I bought some hand weights recently and found a few arm toning routines on youtube to follow. I also downloaded an app that has strength training you can do with body weight and I'm going to try that. It's hard to fit exercise in so I try to focus on cardio and squeeze in some strength when I can.
  • spgebhart
    Options
    Have you guys ever tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred? Pretty sure you can get at least some of it for free on the internet and the DVD is only like $7. It uses hand weights and body weight. I find it pretty freaking hard but the thing I love about it is that it only takes 25 minutes. I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I can handle it because it's so short. I would love to incorporate it into my routine right now but I'm seriously struggling to find even 25 min right now.
  • mkbarnes1775
    Options
    I have tried it, found it on youtube, it's pretty good!
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm doing physio for a knee issue, so my exercise routine consists of physio-approved exercises- my prescribed rehab exercises (which are boring as hell) cycling (which is okay, when my knee is good enough for me to do interesting stuff like intervals) and walking (which is also okay). I'm trying to incorporate some upper body/arm/core stuff in there too but the routine alone already takes close to an hour and I get stuck for time.

I was doing NROLFW and I really enjoyed lifting. I'd like to get back to proper lifting, and bootcamp/Crossfit type stuff eventually. I'm a lazybones by nature so it was really irritating to have to give up the one thing that I was genuinely motivated to do!
  • jessofcourse
    jessofcourse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Exercise? What's that?

In all seriousness I'm doing very little. I'm stressed out of my nut with unemployment issues. I walk to-from the grocery store 3 or so times a week (alas, I am not a pack mule and can only carry so much on each trip and I can't drive). Including all the walking while in the store it takes me about 1.5hrs. I've really been trying to force myself to go to a nearby park/hiking place at least 3-4 times a week. I feel like it is so good for my mental/physical health just to get out there and walk for 2hrs. Unfortunately, Scotland's weather is unpredictable and I use that as an excuse not to go most of the time. It is unbelievably nice out right now but the boyfriend is home and he doesn't want to go with me :( I just need to suck it up and go on my own. Wahwah.
  • threatsofpizza
    Options
    Mostly I've been walking and taking stairs, I also tap dance for an hour once a week. Tomorrow a coworker and I are starting a lunch hour stair walk. We're on the 24th floor and it's 20 stairs between floors. It basically kills us during a fire drill.
    Today I biked a quad bike for an hour and right now my butt muscles are having spasms! BUT I realized I liked biking! I used to bike everywhere when I was a kid but when I was about 16 rode a bike that pinched my sciatic nerve so badly I ended up hospitalized.
  • bhnguyen82
    bhnguyen82 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It varies over months. Mondays I do zumba at work, taught by a coworker. I love having a set class on Mondays because it sets the tone for the rest of the week, and kind of makes up for the inevitable weekend indulgences.

I went through a period where I was running 3-4 times a week rain or shine, but I really need new insoles though so past a certain mileage (something ridic like 25 miles a week) my legs start to ache. So now I leave running for the really fantastic days of sun and light breeze when everything is right in the world and running feels like floating on a cloud, which happens about once or twice a week. I figure working out shouldn't feel like a chore and I might as well enjoy it when it's really nice out.

Other than that I do bodyweight exercises at home in front of the tv. My favorite resource for these is backonpointe.tumblr.com, she posts a lot of bodyweight exercises in her workout section, and I tailor them according to my fitness level and what I feel like working (more jumping jacks, longer planks, modified push-ups, etc.) I used to do the 30DS a lot but I don't have weights currently.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing much, to be honest. I was doing high-intensity strength training and cycling at my gym, but then work exploded in my face and I had neither the time nor the money. I also got really into (mild) trail-hiking, but... ditto. I'm in a new job now and it's really, really physical (restaurant work; my FitBit often tells me I've walked over 5 miles in a 4-hour shift and that doesn't even account for the lifting, twisting, squatting, pushing stuff) so I'm kind of just coasting on that until I adjust.

I want to get my car fixed so I can pick the hiking back up -- I know, the irony is awful -- because even though it's not super intense I really enjoyed the time outside, unplugged, just kind of gazing at the flora and not thinking too much. Other than that, I'm just gonna be a little lazy until my old-lady body adjusts to the new job.
  • branfran2011
    Options
    I'm not doing much, to be honest. I was doing high-intensity strength training and cycling at my gym, but then work exploded in my face and I had neither the time nor the money. I also got really into (mild) trail-hiking, but... ditto. I'm in a new job now and it's really, really physical (restaurant work; my FitBit often tells me I've walked over 5 miles in a 4-hour shift and that doesn't even account for the lifting, twisting, squatting, pushing stuff) so I'm kind of just coasting on that until I adjust.

I want to get my car fixed so I can pick the hiking back up -- I know, the irony is awful -- because even though it's not super intense I really enjoyed the time outside, unplugged, just kind of gazing at the flora and not thinking too much. Other than that, I'm just gonna be a little lazy until my old-lady body adjusts to the new job.

I love being outside too, it's definitely a good way to clear your mind. I've been wanting to go camping again (kid free this time, lol) and unplug for a day, hit some trails and lay out under the stars before it gets too cold.